Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Discharging without cycler

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 09:47 PM
Herb-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discharging without cycler

What is the best procedure for discharging Rx and Tx batteries without a discharger? Do I just leave them on for a long time until they reach a certain voltage level? If so, what is the voltage level? The Rx battery is a 4.8v.

My Tx is a Futaba 8uafs. It beeps when it is low. How much further below that value do I need to go?

Thanks,
Herb
Old 02-27-2002, 09:59 AM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

if you can afford it, get a "sirus pro charge" charger. that'l solve all your problems and worries. charge it and forget about it.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:03 AM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Default Cycle

Pro Charger doesn't cycle. If you want a charger with a cycler, the Super Turbo is the way to go.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:29 PM
Herb-RCU

Thanks, but my budget is limited at this point. I was hoping to be able to do this without a cycler.

Where can I find this "Super Turbo" cycler?

Thanks,
Herb
Old 02-27-2002, 05:15 PM
slam

Ace Smart Test will draw down your packs and is reasonable cost.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:17 PM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

With sirus charger you do not need a cycler.
I was just amazed how fool proof and easy that thing was to use. And I recovered old batteries with that charger to full capacities, while other chargers would just give up.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:08 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All very nice, but Herb's question was if there is a method for doing it without a cycler. Is there ? Would like to know, too.

Michael
Old 02-27-2002, 08:19 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just put any load accross the battery, a light bulb or a 10 ohm resitor for the 4.8 volt battery or a 22 ohm for the transmitter battery. Make sure the wattage rating is 5 watts or more, even then it will get hot while discharging the batteries. Monitor the voltage while discharging the battery. Stop when the voltage is about 1 volt per cell, i.e. when the 4.8 volt battery drops to 4 volts. If you are discharging individual cells, you can go all the way to 0 volts without damaging it. The reason for stopping the discharge with more than one cell in series is to prevent the stronger cell from reverse charging the weaker cell near the end of the discharge cycle. A reverse charge will most likely damage the weak cell beyond recovery. You really don't need to discharge a pack very often, maybe check it out once at the biginning of the flying season and again a couple months later. Repeated recycling only reduces the lifetime of you batter pack.