Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Please Help with Servo Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 06:57 PM
rab
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help with Servo Question

I just bought a used large plane. Instead of plug in extensions there has been non-braided, 3 pair wire soldered to the original wire coming out of the servo. I have not flown the plane but I have range tested it a lot w/o a single problem. My question is - is there a problem with soldering non-braided wire with the braided original servo wire? I believe the non-braided is about 20 gauge wire. Thanks for the help.

rab
Old 03-25-2003, 07:16 PM
transmission_dr
My Feedback: (1)

I would say that if you range test per your radio manufacturers spec, at full throttle with no glitching at 100 feet or greater, then you should be good to go.

Typically range test is done with antenna fully collapsed, although some manufacturers say extend one length.

Are you running gas or glow? Gas w/ignition is going to be much more sensitive than glow and if gas is the case I probably would suggest redoing the extension leads correctly with twisted wire. You can buy #22 from Radio Shack and take 3 strands and twist it with a drill. If you are running glow and it range checks OK then you should be good to go.'

HTH

Jerry
Old 03-25-2003, 07:28 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Braided vs stranded wire

If you mean the servos have solid core wires, I'd replace them with stranded wire leads. Solid core wires will develop stress points due to their inability to flex properly. Stranded wires will not develop this problem.

I have seen several planes built with "telephone wire" (solid core) as servo leads and none of them lasted too long in the air.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:36 PM
transmission_dr
My Feedback: (1)

Good point Dick!

I read this question as referring to twisted vs non twisted leads, but I think you may be correct in that he actually has solid wire. If that is the case then you are correct it won't last long in this environment.

Jerry
Old 03-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the wire is stranded flexible wire, should be no problem. Twisted wire doesn't do much to prevent problems in this enviroment, only if you have strong magnetic radiation which you do not have in a typical model.