Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Transmitter wtih Buddy Box- Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:15 PM
enckr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter wtih Buddy Box- Help

Hello! I am looking for a new transmitter nad buddy box for my husband and son to enjoy for XMas. I am considering the following affordable models:
Techno Sky Commander OR 4YF Skysport

Please HELP! Any advice on which to get, or suggestions of other models, would be helpful!

Also, is 6 years old too young to begin enjoying RC planes with my husbandm through use of the buddy box?

Thank you!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:54 AM
olivier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmitter wtih Buddy Box- Help

Hi,

I tried to fly with my son when he was 9. Obviously, he was too young to concentrate for more than 3 minutes on a slow airplane. Also the head-to-hand coordination was not yet develloped enough. And finally, he was not very much interested.
When my son was 10 1/2years old, I played with him with an RC-flight-simulator (Realflight 2 has some "championships" to play). This play just to make it FUN for him. Just flying around with the rc-sim was not so fun for him.
After 3 months he started to fly another sim (aerofly pro deluxe) where no games are possible. But on that sim, several hundreds of models can be downloaded. And just that kept his interest: searching and downloading new models and flying them on the sim. After a total of 6 month RC-sim, he had again interest to do the "real thing".
First with an Easyglider from Multiplex with a buddy box : dad brought the glider high enough, my son did 10 minutes flying and finally landed at his feet, without any intervention from dad ! He didn't want a second flight that day.
Three days later same story with my 60" trainer with an O.S.46 methanol engine : dad took off the plane and son took over on a safety-height. After a beautifull flight of 10 minutes, including 2 rolls, 2 loopings and 2 touch-and-go, my son of 11 years old landed my plane on our very small landing field , this all WITHOUT ANY INTERVENTION from his dad, and nearly without any verbal instruction given during the whole flight !

My son felt great, but I can assure you that his dad felt great too that day ! What a joy for me it was !

Six months later, my son is doing torque-rolls with my acromaster...and his dad is only trying...

For your buddy-box setup, you didn' mention what transmitter would be the master transmitter. Anyway, to avoid any possible incompatibility problem, stick to 2 transmitters of the same brand, both with a buddy connector fitted.

Greetings from Brussels, Belgium,
Olivier