Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

servo speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:23 AM
martinoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo speed

Hi,

I am looking for better servos for a new pattern plane. Besides the required torque I am looking at the speed numbers. My question is, will I notice the difference between, say, a 0.22 sec servo and a .13 sec servo?. The difference in price is an important one. Besides, it seems that the "grey area" is not there anymore: you have $ 13 servos and $ 75 and up servos (at least on the Futaba line).

And if you look only at this information, you can get caught anyway I always preferred S3001's instead of S3004's, becuase I thought they were better in genera, and now I realized 3004's has better response time and much torque. [&o]

I would pay the difference [&o], but only if I can feel the difference in response time, because you can go up to $300 on servos, and this figure doesn't include the ones choosen by CPLR or JAS oe QQ.

Thanks for your thoughts
Regards
Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: servo speed

Which one responds the fastest may NOT be the one which has enough power to throw the surface very far - so
YOU have to decide what your setup will be
the one with the tightest control-or most throw will use the most battery power.
If you are playing follow the leader -then be prepared to spend a lot.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

What's more important than the specs for your application is the construction of the servo and what level of componentry is used. For pattern you will want a coreless motor servo at the minimum with digital/coreless being optimum. Some pattern guys will also only use nylon gears for more pecision as there is always a tiny amount of slop in most metal geared servos, although nylon gears can "flex."

The best choice in the Hitec brand for pattern is the HS-6975HB which is digital/coreless and at .14sec@119in/oz (4.8v), it offers plenty of torque and speed but what makes it really shine is the super tight Karbonite geartrain that has zero slop or flex. Price is around $80ea. Here's the info: http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-6975HB

Mike.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:21 PM
martinoto

Dick, Mike, thanks for the answers.

My question is if I will notice the difference between a 0.22 sec servo and a 0.14 sec servo, given a fix torque. That is considering medium priced servos, because this is going to be a "trainer" pattern plane, 90 size.

My first choice were Futabas S9001, which are coreless and has enough torque for the design. They are relatively cheap too at $29.99. But the response time is 0.22 sec. at 4.8V.
Going to faster servos means more than double the price. I would do it, but only if the difference is noticeable somehow.

I also noticed that the choices are few at this price level. There are not many options if you want to upgrade your standard servos without going "pro". For $80 and up you have plenty of possibilities betrween coreless, digitals, metal or plastic gears, more speed, more torque or more both. But if you want to stay below $40, possibilities are scarce.
Maybe the Manufacturers decided to rise the bottom price for the servos...

Thanks and regards.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 PM
yakman

ORIGINAL: martinoto

Dick, Mike, thanks for the answers.

My question is if I will notice the difference between a 0.22 sec servo and a 0.14 sec servo, given a fix torque. That is considering medium priced servos, because this is going to be a "trainer" pattern plane, 90 size.

Thanks and regards.
I can notice the difference and the difference is more pronounced the smaller the plane.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:42 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

The faster servos will make the plane respond quicker but for smooth, flowing manuevers it won't make much difference. I'm not sure how Futaba can build a coreless servo for $30 because most of their coreless servos are in the $80 range, so don't expect ultra precision for that price but it may be fine if your skills are still developing.

Mike.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:14 PM
martinoto

Yakman, thanks for the info.
Mike, thanks, my skills are still developing. I just wanted to upgrade from my 3001's, without spending 100 bucks per servo...

Regards
Old 11-30-2007, 01:18 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Spektrum 2.4 type radios and the X9303 work extremely well with NON digital and NON coreless servos - faster response and supe smoothness
I found that really good cheap servos work -using this system, the 32 buck 126 SPORT JR on smaller planes is dead accurate and has 140 inch ounces of torque on 6 volts - and no jitters .
If you feel you have to have the other type servos - go ahead- but do yourselves a favor and try some comparison testing --
The smoothness and precision of the X9303 -or- the DX7 with good basic non digital servos is very impressive.
If you are still (?) flying on 72 with PCM and earlier radio setups - yeh- the higher buck servos will do better -
PS you did know QQ won the pattern biggie , with a JR and the 2.4 setup---------
Old 11-30-2007, 01:35 PM
martinoto

Dick, good information, I didn't know that "by-product" of spectrum technology.
Now, if I have to move to spectrum in order to improve my speed using standard servos... I don't know, I will make the business case, but I don't think is going to pass the Wife Department. LOL

Thanks, seriously, I am not moving to spectrum yet, before that I going to try some digitals

Regards