Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Pros & Cons of Putting All planes on One Radio???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 03:53 PM
kwbrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros & Cons of Putting All planes on One Radio???

I would like to get some feedback from fellow R/Cers on this issue. I have 4 planes. I also recently bought a Futaba 6XAS computer radio with 6 model memory. Should I put all 4 planes on this radio, or would it be best to keep seperate radios (and channels) for each plane? What do you guys do?
Old 04-05-2003, 04:08 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Same TX

I have been doing this for about 15 years on my JR PCM 10. It works great. Only drawback is all your eggs are in one basket. I keep my TX in a case and it is well pampered. I have tried to fly an airplane with the wrong progam. Not too much damage at all. I have a freq module so I can change freq for the planes easily. Only draw back is that I can't download the flight programs to store or manuipilate on my computer.This is addressed in the later TX versions and from what I understand works fine.
Sparky
Old 04-05-2003, 04:19 PM
sea157
My Feedback: (30)

I have all mine on one radio.
My Futaba Super 8.
I would agree the only drawback is if this radio goes bad you are finished until it is repaired or replaced.
When I go to the field I only carry one radio, no matter how many planes I have.
I see other guys carrying as many as 4 other radios.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:27 PM
redbluffwingnut
My Feedback: (2)

the only REAL drawback is if some one else is on your channel you have to wait till there done till you can fly and sometimes that can take awile and if your raido poops out your out
Old 04-05-2003, 04:29 PM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

I have a 9C and all mine are on one channel. Nice to be able to have PCM and PPM on the same unit. Only bummer is arriving at the field and finding out three others ore on the same freq.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Rich-RCU

It might be a matter of preference. Looks like most people at our field put all their planes on one TX. I fly glo and electric at two seperate locations at different times of the week so I have two sets of field boxes and two TX's. Keeps me from getting confused which happens more often the older I get. Also I do not have complicated configurations on different planes.

Rich
Old 04-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Damnathius

About the channel issue: Get your radio on 50 Mhz and get your amateur radio license. Easy. Took me a week and a half of study using Radio Shack's latest Technician Class study guide (has ALL the questions and answers) and then aced the test. I have 2 planes on my 9C, both on channel 00. Never have a problem with someone else, as 50 Mhz users are so few and far between.

One more drawback: If you have several planes you fly on the same day from the same transmitter, you might want to invest in high capacity NiMh transmitter batteries.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just get a module and a couple crystals on a different frequency so you can switch if necessary.

I'm moving all my planes over to my 9C but I keep my 6XAS around in case the 9C needs to go in for repair. Both are on the same frequency, and the 6XAS is capable of flying several of my planes.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:17 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing to keep in mind on using one TX for all your planes, is that you use it more in one day if bringing multiple planes to the field, so it does not hurt to buy an extra battery pack to help it go the distance!!

I personally have most of mine on one TX
Old 04-07-2003, 04:37 AM
filtr-RCU

I have two radio the same 9Zaps and a campac I keep all my planes on the campac just in case one of the radio goes bad. But it is also great to fly with one radio because you get the feel of the radio.

Ron
Old 04-07-2003, 01:31 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to have a radio for every plane. Got a 9CHP and a bunch of recievers and got rid of all the other radios. Way better to have just one trans and a lot of recievers. You never go to the field with the wrong trans. You do have to make sure you look and make sure you have the right one programmed, but after the first couple times at the field you just make that part of your preflight. Piece of cake.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:26 PM
strato911

Originally posted by 0tter
Only bummer is arriving at the field and finding out three others ore on the same freq.
That's the beauty of synthesized radios like the Tracker II from Polk's Hobby (click here). If someone's on the frequency you usually use, just change to any available freq and go fly.

If you have a Hitec w/ spectra module, then all you need is crystals for the receiver, or a synthesized receiver like the Seeker.

FYI: Use of the Spectra module in non-Hitec equipment is a violation of the FCC regulations (95.645b) because it has not been certified for use with non-Hitec equipment. Both Futaba and Hitec have posted warnings about this on their websites.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:31 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Pros:
  • You only have to carry one TX to the field.
  • You only have to learn how to program one TX.
  • You only have to charge & cycle one TX battery.
  • No forgetting what channel(s) you use.
  • No bringing the wrong TX / airplane combination to the field.

Cons:
  • Can't let your buddy fly one of your planes while you fly a different one.
  • If someone's on your channel you'll have to wait. Hopefully that person isn't a sailplane pilot!
  • No flying for a week or two if you send the TX in for service.
That last one is a real pain. My 10X is almost two years old, and for the past year I've been meaning to send it in to have the screen replaced. Problem is that there is no such thing as an off-season here - flying weather, year-round - and sending my TX in would probably three weeks + of no flying!
Old 04-07-2003, 02:44 PM
strato911

All three of those "Cons" can be eliminated very easily:
  • Can't let your buddy fly one of your planes while you fly a different one. - extra receiver crystals, or synthesized receiver
  • If someone's on your channel you'll have to wait. Hopefully that person isn't a sailplane pilot! - Synthesized system
  • No flying for a week or two if you send the TX in for service. - Keep one spare (inexpensive) Tx for this rare occurance