Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RX and TX channel change

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 06:36 PM
harphunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX and TX channel change

I'm considering getting a new transmitter (Futaba 6XAS) and want to change to a channel used less at my field. My current TX (Futaba Skysport) and RX are on channel 40.

My question is this. How far away from channel 40 can I go on my current RX (and TX for that matter), so that both of my planes are on the new channel?

I think I'm making sense.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2003, 08:07 PM
strato911

Since your receiver is on Ch 40, that means it is tuned for the upper half of the 72Mhz band, and can be switched to any channel from 36 to 60 without having to send it in for re-tuning. Also, Futaba seems to be the only manufacturer who splits the 72Mhz band like this. Other receivers can be placed on any channel because they have been center tuned for the ENTIRE 72Mhz band allocated to RC.

The 6XAS does not use modules, so you can't legally change channels on it without te-tuning (FCC reg 95.222 & 95.645). The only legal way to change your transmitter channel is by sending it in for re-tuning with a new crystal.

Click here to download a PDF copy of the FCC regulations from the FCC's FTP site.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:59 AM
harphunt

I want to change the channel on my current RX (and TX) to match whatever channel I decide on for my new transmitter. As long as I stay in the upper range, am I ok?
Old 04-06-2003, 03:58 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You cannot change the frequency on your current transmiter without sending it in to service facility for retuning. There are serious and viable reasons for this. Try reading Stratos post agine.

This applies only in the US.

John
Old 04-06-2003, 05:04 AM
strato911

Default Only in the US

Thanks John. I forgot to mention the laws prohibiting switching Transmitter crystals only applies to North America. It's not just the US, but Canada as well. The fines are as follows:
§ 95.218 (R/C Rule 18) What are the penalties for violating these rules?
(a) If the FCC finds that you have willfully or repeatedly violated the Communications Act or the FCC Rules, you may have to pay as much as $10,000 for each violation, up to a total of $75,000. (See Section 503(b) of the Communications Act.)
(b) If the FCC finds that you have violated any section of the Communications Act or the FCC Rules, you may be ordered to stop whatever action caused the violation. (See section 312(b) of the Communications Act.)
(c) If a federal court finds that you have willfully and knowingly violated any FCC Rule, you may be fined up to $500 for each day you committed the violation. (See section 502 of the Communications Act.)
(d) If a Federal court finds that you have willfully and knowingly violated any provision of the Communications Act, you may be fined up to $10,000, or you may be imprisoned for one year, or both. (See section 501 of the Communications Act.)
harphunt - Since you didn't say where you are located, I assumed you are in North America. If you are NOT in North America, please check your local laws. I know in Europe you may change crystals as much as you like (within the RC frequencies) without breaking the law.