Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Reversed the battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 01:34 AM
Zoned
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversed the battery

Hi, I accidentally plugged the battery in reversed in my futaba receiver and 2 of the pins from the circuit board came out because it got so hot it melted the solder holding them in. Do you think it is fried ? I don't know if I should put them back in to see if it works or should I just not take a chance that It might have caused a future problem.

thanks
Pat :stupid:
Old 03-04-2002, 02:49 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which RX is it, depending on the replacement cost it may be cheaper to buy a new one than send it in for repair. Chances are you did some serious damage to it If you feel confident about opening it up I would go ahead and do that, just for a look see.

Vince
Old 03-04-2002, 02:53 AM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

My gut makes me think it is not fried. The solder melted which tells me that you had a direct short and none of the power went through the electronics. Try fixing it. Bkf
Old 03-04-2002, 03:31 AM
Zoned

It's the FM fpr127dfp dual conv. 7 channel rec. Everything looks good that I can see(nothing burned or melted) so I'll give it a try.

Thanks
Pat
Old 03-04-2002, 10:36 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default I've got one

I have one on channel 18. It should be tuned to your Tx, but otherwise it's in good shape. $25 and some shipping will get it.
Thanks and let me know_Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4635_106.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	3652  
Old 03-04-2002, 11:57 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why Risk it?

Ok, so you know some damage was done. Even if you solder the pins back, do you know enough about electronics to check the Rx out before you put it in a plane, or do you have to risk a plane to see if it is really fixed? From my perspective, you can buy a new Hitec Supreme with crystal for @ $70 - which is a step up from what you have. I don't have a plane that costs less than that, so I would consider that cheap insurance.

Dan
Old 03-04-2002, 12:34 PM
howardm4
My Feedback: (1)

Or send it to the shop and for probably $25, they'll check it and fix it.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:28 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Default Huh ?!

I don't understand how the damage occured. I've done the same thing numerous times with the battery and servos and have never shorted anything.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:39 PM
Zoned

Hi, I plugged the battey in and 2 seconds later its was smoking. Then I grabbed the wires and pulled the plug out.

Pat
Old 03-06-2002, 03:40 AM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Default Smoking...

If you say the solder melted inside, then the melted solder probably ended up shorting out on a chip or a pin. The smoke may be the board melting. Open it up and look, they are easy to take apart and put back together. Let us know how things go. A pic of the inside would be helpfull! Good Luck, Coulter
Old 03-06-2002, 04:33 AM
Zoned

I'm sorry, the battery wires were smoking the circuit board and all the the parts in the board look good. Which was very surprising. After thinking about it, I won't use this in a good plane. I would only use it in a park flyer or something. It's not worth taking a chance that someone could get hurt. I will post some pics and let you know if it works on the bench.

Pat
Old 03-06-2002, 11:27 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Good Call

Old 12-27-2002, 08:03 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

same thing happened to me today! futaba r127df reciever brand new with a brand new 600 mah battry pack.. smoked then wires on battery pack melted ad i pulled it off in time
Old 12-27-2002, 08:23 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A similar post appeared above. I was alerted to this problem on another post and at first, I couldn't believe that plugging the battery in with the connector reversed would cause a problem. The other contributors to the post were so adamant that I went an took two Futaba 127's apart and 1 Hitec PCM receiver and found that on the battery connection only, the pin that is normally the signal pin was shorted to the center pin by a hefty printed circuit path. This will create a dead short on the battery if it is plugged in reversed and create the problem you experienced. On the bright side, it probably did not damage any electronics in the receiver and, if you plugged a battery (with correct polarity) into any unused servo channel, the receiver will work properly. So, if you have a 7 channel receiver, plug the battery into 5, 6 or 7 and the four main servos into their normal channels and it should work. It will be easy for you to take the case off the receiver and examine the copper traces at the connector end. If they are not burned thru at the connector, it is most likely safe to use the receiver. It is such a major design goof by the person that laid out the pc though that the company ought to fix the problem for free. Maybe you ought to check out FMA receivers, they are as good or better than Futaba and do not have this problem.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:55 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

yeah, thats terrible... i was shocked myself when it happened
Old 12-29-2002, 11:02 PM
strato911

Perhaps we can call on the manufacturers to change their design.

Instead of shorting those two pins together, how about a resistor and a red LED to visually tell us the battery is plugged in backwards? In mass production this would only add about 1/10th of a cent to the total cost (multiplied by 500 for profit).
Old 12-31-2002, 11:03 PM
StarskiPZ

Wasn't as lucky with my old Sanwa / Airtronics.

Put a Futaba pin lead from a battery, and what a smoker!!!

Forgot the old gear had the outdated configuration...

Wont do this again!