Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Contemplating switching from 9CAP to 12Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:07 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating switching from 9CAP to 12Z

I've been using my 9cap for about 3 years or so and it's a good radio. Currently my memory campac module is full with 14 planes and I just bought a funtana. So I need to get another campac module, which is only $24 from tower. I started reading some of the reviews on the 12z and the radio peaked my interest. I really don't need a 12 channel radio and barely use all 9 channels on some of my current planes. I guess I am looking for new radio and was curious if anyone bought the 12z for the better gimbals, feel, etc. I heard the programming on the 12z is much better than the 9c. I use the 8 channel futaba Rx's, mainly the 138 or 127 series, so I don't know if I would benefit using these rx's with the 12z, as far as enhancing the "feel" between pilot and plane. I have no desire to go the 2.4 ghz route at this time, so I would be looking at the 12z 72mhz TX. Tower has a nice promo going on which cuts $100 off the cost of the radio. I'm just on the fence as to whether a purchase such as this makes a lot of sense for me at this time. I could certainly use the extra model memory, but spending $1,000 on a radio versus getting a $24 campac module is a heck of a lot cheaper. I guess I am more interested in those that have upgraded to the 12z and what your thoughts on the radio are.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:40 PM
tkilwein

Default RE: Contemplating switching from 9CAP to 12Z

I went from the 9zhps to 14mz and would do it again.
The 14mz is feature RICH! I still have not dug down into all the menu's or functions.
The CF card some people have increased to larger size and say they get hundreds-thousand of models.
I use 11 of the channels currently, no matchboxes and fast stick to servo movements.
The only grip I have is the touch screen in cold weather takes longer to respond, but you can use the wheel for
a lot of inputs.

Just this morning I backordered the 14mz-2.4g combo from tower. Looks like the wait is coming to a end, I hope.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46811.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	835041  
Old 12-27-2007, 02:50 PM
jzinckgra

looks like some nice winter flying. i havne't been over to field lately, but skiis are definately needed.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Gulliver

IF you just want more model memory try this link

http://www.dynmodel.com/ultrapac.html

I bought one a coouple of years ago and they work like a charm.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:48 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I considered going from a 9C to the 12 channel then I discovered the Multiplex EVO 12 at 1/2 the price.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:00 PM
jzinckgra

well i pulled the trigger on the 12z. Got the tower $100 discount which was nice. There is no way of transferring my plane setups on my 9C to the 12z is there? If not, looks like I will be re-maidening/re-trimming all 15 planes come Spring.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 PM
huggins

ORIGINAL: jzinckgra

...There is no way of transferring my plane setups on my 9C to the 12z is there? If not, looks like I will be re-maidening/re-trimming all 15 planes come Spring.
I don't know if you can transfer them or not, but certainly you would not have to "Re-maiden" (I interpret...."Start from scratch"). Just reprogram your planes into the 12z with the same settings you have in your 9c. Endpoints, expos, etc should remain the same between the two (at least darn close). Kind of long and laborious, but certainly worth doing.

Mike

Old 12-30-2007, 01:50 PM
jzinckgra

ah yeah, I guess that would be easier wouldn't it
Old 12-30-2007, 03:26 PM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Go to Futaba-rc web site. Click on technical support link and ask!
Old 12-30-2007, 04:11 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I considered going from a 9C to the 12 channel then I discovered the Multiplex EVO 12 at 1/2 the price.

too bad for you.....

already discussed on other site........
Old 12-30-2007, 07:24 PM
jtsails
My Feedback: (2)

jz,
I think you'll be happy with hte upgrade. I made that switch last summer and love my new radio. I've already found at least a half dozen things in the programming that the 9c wouldn't do and I no longer have to use equalizers (matchboxes) on dual elevators or multiservo ailerons. I like that you can slow down servos on any channel, handy for flaps etc. You can even put delay in mixes, that one worked real nice on a bipe that had throttle to elevator mixing. I use a 148meg CF card to backup my model settings and recommend a second battery. You can't really charge the battery at the field and even though they have plenty of capacity for a full day of flying, it's nice to have a second one (I have been know to forget to charge things before I head out t o the field). I also like that I will be able to buy a 2.4 module (sometime). About the only thing I'm not totally happy with is that the springs on the sticks don't have enough tension for my tastes, but I'm going to get some stronger ones from futaba. On the transfering planes part, at least you have the settings from the 9c to copy, I upgraded b/c my 9c was stolen out of my truck, and I had no backups or copies of my settings (thus the reason I backup all my models now).
james
Old 01-01-2008, 10:14 PM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I switched a couple of months ago from a 9zap and have not looked back. you will love the radio, it has things that make it easy to use like changing models it's a one step operation. you don't have to change the frequency or modulation once you have it programed. so if you have a lot of different models it makes it easy to change.it will do fm, pcm, and G3 2048 so it should cover just about all of your receivers. the battery can last all day, more than 2 hours of on time. and as far as cost , think about a large gas airplane you can spend $1000. on servos for one airplane. it's a great radio,new technology,and if in the future you have the need you can switch to 2.4
Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 PM
jzinckgra

looking forward to the Tx. How long does it take to charge the battery with the supplied charger? I like quick charging my batts, but doesn't look to be an option.