Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Pro Line Tx conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Barry Blogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Line Tx conversion

I have a Pro Line Competition 6 Tx from around 1972. I just love the feel of this radio and I would like to update to a modern FM 6 channel radio.
Question: If I solder and fit the workings of a Futaba 6YF into the Pro Line, do I have a reasonable chance of it working ??
My main concern is that the Pro line has Allen Bradley 5 ohm pots, will the modern day equipment cope with these values?
I know there must be guys out there from the early days of US manufactured proportional radios with this know-how.
It would be great to hear from you - Best Wishes –Barry Blogg
Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Four Stroker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pro Line Tx conversion

If you are happy with FM, why don't you just sent it to Tony Stillman at Radio South and have him narrow band it for you ? Buy a new receiver or entire airborne pack. Put a new battery pack in it. Tony can recondition your Pro Line and make it legal and like new.

EDIT: My brain rot. ProLine never made an FM, this is an AM. I don't think anyone sells (narrow band) AM receivers anymore ?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Barry Blogg

Great - Who is Tony Stillman, and how do I contact him? Regards / Barry
Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Barry Blogg

Great - Who is Tony Stillman, and how do I contact him? Regards / Barry
Here is a link to the Radio South website. Contact information there.

Woodie

www.radiosouthrc.com/
Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also had and loved the ProLine system. I do believe you are in error or misstyped on the size of the pots. All mine were 5Kohm, not 5 ohm, pots.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:18 PM
bruce88123

I don't know about Australia but home built transmitters are illegal in the U.S. I believe you may have trouble certifying yours down there. I'd check into that before going too far with this idea.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:47 AM
Barry Blogg

G'day Woodie / Rodney / Bruce,
Thanks guys for your input, it is great guidelines. I'm glad I found this web site. I'm onto Tony Stilman at Radio South with my whole can of worms. One way or another I'm going to make it work- so if you're that interested let me know and I'll let you know how it transpires or "expires". A good year to you all / Barry
Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 AM
TFF

You could go Ham and do this

http://www.mstar2k.com/

I am thinking about this for a Kraft 7Z I have.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM
peapa254

Does anyone have any idea of the field strength of a typical RC transmitter with a power input of 0.5 watts? I built an Ace Silver Seven transmitter back in 1979 and retrofitted it with an FMA Direct RF deck made specifically for this purpose. FMA gave me a certificate that it complies with all FCC rules, which I am sure it does, but I would like to know what the actual output is. My understanding is that a home built transmitter is legal if the field strength is under 1,250 microvolts at 3 meters.

Tony
Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
blanchjd

I'll second the suggestion of the Microstar 2000. I'm currently in the process of converting an old JR unlimited 8 to use the Mstar guts. It needs a little technical understanding and ability, but if you were considering swapping out the guts from another radio, then this is definitely what you need to look at. The end result is a very capable computer radio rivalling the abilities of modern radios. Very cheap kits, too ($55). Check out the MP8K/MStar2K yahoo group for a very informative group of people to help with any questions. (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MP8K/)

-Jeff