Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Are you using Extremelink (XPS) and why

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:23 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are you using Extremelink (XPS) and why

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I am using the Graupner IFS system wich is the XtremeLink system in al but name, the reason for going this route is convenience of the one only Rx and the small aerial, the Futaba aerial is just plain silly to get into a plane and not only that they have programming issues at the moment, on another thread they had four jets flying together on the XPS system so I don't think there is much wrong with it, you will always get the scare mongers gathering on anything new, we even had one silly old duffer who asked at a club meeting if we where going to allow 2.4Ghz to operate at our club field, he had not noticed I had been using a Spektrum for four months.

Mike

About face: I have all sorts of interferance problems with the system, slow responce, then no responce for a few seconds then it all comes back and starts again, this system seems to be as prone to interferance as PPM at my field, thats why no one uses PPM at my field, we are on marsh land which has telecommunications crossing it between Kent and Essex, the interferance always seems to be in the same place, and this is where I got the problem with the XPS, just managed to save the plane.

Mike
Get the XPD and measure the TX output. It should be -23dbm. Then do a range check. If you have a problem it should show up.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:16 AM
tychoc

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

You may want to check this thread just started. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...76#post9094981 The xps was tested with professional equipment for hopping if there was a sudden and/or a slow rise in interference... It failed!!!! The person testing lost his plane in the same manner as my jet...
Yes, I was the original poster of that thread. I really tried to get XPS to hop and gave it many opportunities, but no hopping occurred...

-tychoc
Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right. I was addressing it to past posters...

Thanks

Jon
Old 02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Mac_Man_UK

-23 dBm ???

0dBm is 1mW, -23dBm equates to 5uW !!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Mac_Man_UK

-23 dBm ???

Right but that is what you will see with this device if everything is in working order. I took my transmitter to xtremes booth at the AEF and they verified this.
I think the receiver is sensitive to about -90dbm so you have a considerable margin.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 AM
tadawson

-23 is a signal strength reading from a receiver, not the TX, so that may well be accurate . . .

At any rate, that is how the display in the XDP appears to be calibrated . . a properly working TX will read at about -23 . . .

- Tim

ORIGINAL: Mac_Man_UK

-23 dBm ???

Old 02-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

I am using XPS in all my planes. I chose this solution so that I could continue to use my Futaba 9C. Also, in the future if I decide to use a different transmitter, I won't have to replace my receivers.

I am using the system in a medium sized glow engine plane, as well as a hangar of 1/4 scale warbirds--all gas engines 50cc - 100cc. I am pretty confident in the system, but spend a lot of time with new installations and range checks. I use tie wraps to keep all wires away from the RX antenna and also put foam around the RX so that no wires can move during flight and touch the RX antenna. For what's it worth, when I first got this system, I installed it in my trusty 4*60 that I still use for club fun flys and tested as thoroughly as I could. I did a lot of ground testing and then took the plane way up high, almost out of sight, same thing low on the horizon and then flew the plane repeatedly in every orientation. I did this for many flights before trying it in one of my expensive warbirds. Not the same as using testing equipment, but I never experienced any loss of control, "glitches" or other unusual behavior.

-Ed B.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:21 PM
jonkoppisch

ORIGINAL: tychoc

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

You may want to check this thread just started. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...76#post9094981 The xps was tested with professional equipment for hopping if there was a sudden and/or a slow rise in interference... It failed!!!! The person testing lost his plane in the same manner as my jet...
Yes, I was the original poster of that thread. I really tried to get XPS to hop and gave it many opportunities, but no hopping occurred...

-tychoc
jd's back. Your thread has been deleted!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:31 PM
jonkoppisch

Lot's of threads were deleted...

Alert - My hopping tests, and the zombie state reproduced
Poll - I am concerned !
Alert - Another LOCK OUT
Discussion - 2nd Test Seems to Verify No Hopping of XPS
Fan Boys, please come in here and show your FORCE
Discussion - Hop, Hop, Hop
Discussion - To hop or not to hop, that's the question (and I have some answers)
Old 02-11-2008, 03:39 PM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

Who has the best price on the XPS system ?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

I would sell you a JR unit. Having too much trouble keeping everything away from the antenna.