Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Aileron and elevator glitching in new Great Planes 1/3 Scale Pitts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Aileron and elevator glitching in new Great Planes 1/3 Scale Pitts

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 05:58 PM
motob17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron and elevator glitching in new Great Planes 1/3 Scale Pitts

I'm putting together a 1/3 Scale Pitts and am having problems with the radio operation. I'm using an Airtronics RD6000 transmitter and a Hitec 555 reciever. A Hobbico Hydrimax 2000 mah flight battery and 8 Cirrus servos, 6 of which are cs71bb and the 2 elevator servos are cs60mg. The rudder, elevator, and throttle controls were working ok until I hooked up the ailerons. Then I got glitches (big twitches) in the ailerons and the elevators. The reciever has worked very well in the past. Any Ideas what could be my problem?
Old 04-16-2003, 06:02 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How long are your aileron extensions? Are they straight or twisted? I have used up to 24 inch extensions but have been told they need to be twisted. Mine are straight. Might look at that. Does it do it if just one of the ail servos are connected? Might be a bad servo making noise.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:23 PM
motob17

Default Servo extension lengths.

My servo extension are 24" long in to all 4 servos. They are heavy duty 20 gauge. Also there are 3 y harnesses involved due to the use of 4 aileron servos. They are also about 24" long. Maybe there is a better way of connecting all the aileron servos? Would a 6.0 volt battery do better?
Old 04-16-2003, 06:33 PM
FLYBOY

Just for kicks, try plugging them in cutting as many of the Ys and exetensions, just to see if it does the same. Might be the amount of wires in the system. I don't think it is a voltage problem, but I don't know how airtronics handles that many servos. I have a few planes with 8 servos and don't have that problem with 4.8 volts, but I don't have that long of extensions on them all. The extensions and Y harness' may cause the problem.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:28 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

It is likely all the y-harnesses and the load of the connections. Try just straight leads, one servo at a time, and see how it does.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Baja170
My Feedback: (8)

Don't cut anything yet. I may be way off, but if your pack is NiMh...

Is your RX battery a 6V 2000mah pack? If so fully charged 6V NiMh packs are notorious for causing glitching when fully charged. Discharge it part way and see if it helps. I have a 6V 2000mah NiMh pack in my 65" Deep Vee with G-62 and it glitches slightly when fully charged. I let it sit on the dock for a few minutes with the switch on and the glitching goes away, then I run.

The next thing I would try is to disconnect 1 servo at a time, then turn on and see if the glitching is gone. I have had a bad servo that caused glitching, once unplugged, glitching went away. Extensions can also cause this trouble.

The improtant thing here is to make 1 change at a time, and then see what the results are.

Good luck finding the culprit.

William
Old 04-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Giant Scale

Do you have a gas engine or glow engine in the plane? If radio components are too close to ignition system this can cause all kinds of problems.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:45 PM
FLYBOY

I didn't mean cut as in with a cutter, I meant not using them and seeing if the servos connected without all the leads will cause the same problems. I think there are too many extensions and wires in the link. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Baja170
My Feedback: (8)

Ahhh sorry Flyboy. Your advice is good. 1 thing at a time, and I bet he will find his problem is battery, servo or extension related just like you said.

William
Old 04-17-2003, 09:53 PM
flytime56

I had a similar problem,

when i applied my flapperons, then i got some glitches, and the aileron servos didn't work too well.

i found out that is was one of the servos, and it was a new servo on top of that. just something was going on when i gave it a certain input. the servo then acted bad on other channels that i tried it on, but the weird thing was that id didn't do it all the time.

i changed the servo and haven't had a problem since.

GB