Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need Radio Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Bigmax96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Radio Help Please

It's been about 17 years since I've been involved in RC, so things have changed a little bit since then... LOL

I'm looking to get a surface radio that I can use for both cars & boats. Can someone explain the main advantages / disadvantages between AM, FM, 27MHz, 75MHz, and 2.4GHz. Which would be the best for use in both cars & boats? I think I remember seeing an ebay ad for a 2.4GHz radio that said something about not being good for boats??? I like the idea of 2.4GHz because you don't have to worry about interference or changing crystals but don't know enough about them to make a decision.

I'm also trying to stay in the $150 or under range. Maybe more if there's a compelling reason. The radios I've been looking at so far are the Airtronics MX-3 FHSS, Spektrum DX 2.0, Futaba 3PM, and have even thought about picking up a used Airtronics M8 or other used radio off ebay but want to make sure I get something that will do everything I want to do with it.

All suggestions and opinions would be great!

Thanks,

Chad
Old 03-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Bad_Daddy

Default RE: Need Radio Help Please

According to the AMA (and possibly the FCC), airborn vehicles are to run in the 72mHz frequencies and ground vehicles are to be operated with 75mHz systems. So to operate both will require you to have 2 different transmitter / receiver combinations.
Which would you rather listen to in your car, AM or FM radio? Why? It's the static (aka interference) usually present in the AM bands, right? Question answered.
Used 72 and 75mHz systems are really cheap right now because everyone is jumping on the 2.4gHz bandwagon.
If you're running 2.4gHz, you'll only need 1 transmitter, whatever you fly or drive. I just picked up a used Spektrun DX6 system (no servos) for my ground vehicles for $140, just by keeping my eyes open. Any servo will work with any system, as long as the wires are connected with the proper polarity.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/cat...m?catID=mycats
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/portal.php?id=11
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
Hope that helps.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:14 PM
rctrax

He's talking cars and boats NOT planes. He didn't mention 72 mhz
Old 03-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Bigmax96

Thanks for the info Bad Daddy.

So am I right in assuming that my first choice should be 2.4GHz and second 75MHz? And how old of a radio is the Airtronics M8? I'm assuming that the M11 replaced it but how long ago did that happen and how long was the M8 out before that? I would probably lean towards buying the "lessor-featured" MX-3 FHSS as opposed to a used M8 if it is going to be a 5-10 year old radio / technology.

Thanks,

Chad
Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 PM
wings

I've put together a page where I have attempted to explain the differences between AM, FM (ppm and PCM) and which is best for our application.
[link=http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/rc-airplane-radio.html]Here go you, I hope this helps![/link]

Wings