Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 GHz qustions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:14 PM
airplanelover101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 GHz qustions

Hi,
I Have been flying on 72mhz for the last year and I now also want to jump to 2.4. I have a part time job at my LHS, and I have saved up some money and I am ready to spend it. I have a couple of futaba 7C on 72 mhz but I thinking of going Jr/Spektrum. I wanted to get the 12X but I am going to wait until I hear more about it. I saw that there is the Spektrum/JR giveaway. I am thinking of getting a DX7 with a couple of receivers: 3 AR7000 and 2 9 ch RX. Since if I buy two RX and a radio system I will get another 2 receivers free. I know there are 3 different 9 ch rx made by JR and Spektrum, which one do you think I should get? Is there a difference between the JR DSM2 9ch and the Spektrum DSM2 9ch? Is the power safe AR9100 receiver have any advantages/disadvantages over the other 9ch receivers besides being able to handle more currents Also I have been hearing about software updates on the spektrum receivers, if I wear to buy spektrum receivers now have they already been updated? How can I tell they have been updated? Are there any good tips on mounting the rx besides what the Manual says, I will be flying larger models soon and I don't want to loose one due to a bad receiver configuration. I have heard that you should do a 360 degree range test to see if you get a bad reception at a specific direction? Are there any other tests I can do to make sure my system is bullet proof? And any other tips I need to know to make my Spektrum experience a good one. Thank you very much for looking

Sebastian
Old 03-16-2008, 02:21 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 2.4 GHz qustions

Choke, smoke, 2 ele, 2 aileron, rud, throttle, engine kill. Thats 9 channels and you will want a radio that assigns or can assign channels to switches and not be limited to what switch the radio comes with. Prety much limits you to JR 9, 10 or 12x or Fut 9c 12 or 14 series. any and all can be bought or converted to 2.4. Only thing Fut has over JR as I see it is Futaba is finaly putting large enough batteries in their radios, and JR's advantage is model match.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:47 PM
pilotpete2

The new Futaba 10C 2.4Ghz is worth looking at. I had the chance to handle one last month, Towers price for pre-orders is $599 for transmitter and the 14 channel receiver (at least until the 10 channel receivers are ready). It is a module based "native" 2.4Ghz radio with the ability to be used on any legal band for R/C. While the 10C is derived from the 9C, I was told by the Futaba reps at the WRAM show that it does not suffer from the latency issues that the 9C is noted for, it's more than a "face lift" and cahnnel added to the 9C.
If you're waiting to look at the 12X from JR, it's very nice, but arguably will have serious competition from the Futaba 12FG FASST (300 bucks less than the JR 12X) which has been available for a while now and the reports from users are good.
Only feature that Futaba doesn't have is Model Match, probably because of the risk of legal action from Horizon/Spektrum (obviously, they would have to use a different name for it), while Model Match is absolutely a trade mark of Spektrum, whether the underlying concept can be protected by a patent is something only the "legal beagles" can argue.
Pete
Old 03-16-2008, 05:59 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be interesting to see how well Futaba competes -feature wise Having a dozen models The Model Match -for me is a MUST. I used it all last summer on my DX7 - and like a guy hooked on coke - I would not cnsider a system without it.
especially on electric models - You can and WILL at some point in time finish flying an electric -forget to unplug the power - then fly another model - without model Match - the first model will simply start up and go when you advance throttle on the next model.
For those with perfect recall and an ability to make no mistakes - ignore this -
Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 AM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

I totaly agree Dick. Now if us Futaba fans will band together and demand something similar..... I've been entertained by a foamy jumping off a bench and go dumpster diving, it landed in the garbage can and proceded to empty it. If I wasn't so busy holding the deeper lacerations together I would of had a good laugh!