Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Polarity of HiTec wallwart/GWS Transmitter charge jack ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Polarity of HiTec wallwart/GWS Transmitter charge jack ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Graiskye
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polarity of HiTec wallwart/GWS Transmitter charge jack ???

Evening everyone, I am hoping someone might be able to help me out of a bit of a jam.
I just got a GWS Dragonfly heli, purchased of the forum here, so stoked, but the radio did not come with the charger.
I have a HI Tec wall charger, that puts out a 55ma trickle charge, and the GWS pack has a JST connector on it, and I have spare JST's, but I am unsure/not positive of the polarity, and I do not have access to a multimeter.
Does anyone happen to know the polarity of these chargers?
One wire has the white striping, the other solid black.
The lead for the reciever pack has one red and one black wire, wish they would have continued the theme.
But going on that same theory that should make the black wire the negative on the other lead, and my CommonSense lipo charger says the white striped lead is the positive on it, so.
Im guessing the white striped wire is the positve, but I dont want to fry my battery ?
Ideas ?
Thanks.
-Grais.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Polarity of HiTec wallwart/GWS Transmitter charge jack ???

ORIGINAL: Graiskye

Evening everyone, I am hoping someone might be able to help me out of a bit of a jam.
I just got a GWS Dragonfly heli, purchased of the forum here, so stoked, but the radio did not come with the charger.
I have a HI Tec wall charger, that puts out a 55ma trickle charge, and the GWS pack has a JST connector on it, and I have spare JST's, but I am unsure/not positive of the polarity, and I do not have access to a multimeter.
Does anyone happen to know the polarity of these chargers?
One wire has the white striping, the other solid black.
The lead for the reciever pack has one red and one black wire, wish they would have continued the theme.
But going on that same theory that should make the black wire the negative on the other lead, and my CommonSense lipo charger says the white striped lead is the positive on it, so.
Im guessing the white striped wire is the positve, but I dont want to fry my battery ?
Ideas ?
Thanks.
-Grais.
My HT wall wart Transmitter lead is positive to the inner pole, negative at the outer pole, and both wires are black.

If you still have the transmitter plug (I presume you cut it off) you can check with an ohmmeter to see which is the center pole wire. But then, if you have a volt/ohmmeter, you can just check the output polarity directly.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 03-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Graiskye
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for reply. But I dont have ohmeter or mutli meter,or any meter for that matter or access to one, if I had one or access I wouldn't need to ask this question.
-Grais.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The normal convention is that the wire with the white stripe is the positive one. Caution: you do know that the size of these connectors are not always the same even if they look very much alike. For instance the Hitec connector is 5mm OD and 2.1mm ID while the Futaba is 5.5mm OD and 3.5mmID. Both have the outside shell negative while the JR (and maybe other brands) have the outside shell positive which (if the wrong polarity is used) could damage the object being charged. Even a very inexpensive multimeter is very useful and a recommended purchase. Some can be found for less than $5 which will suffice for most use. Check out Harbor Freight, ALL Electonics and other sources for frequent sales.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 AM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

Most Wall Wart chargers I have seen have a diagram of how the plug is wired on the same side of the charger that tells the Voltage and Amperage of the charger. Most always, the positive lead is the center of the plug and the negative is the exterior.