Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

AR7000 POST BROWNOUT UPGRADE QUESTION???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AR7000 POST BROWNOUT UPGRADE QUESTION???

I was helping a friend that had just bought a Spektrum DX7 and AR7000 setup his airplane. During the setup I was demonstrating whether he had the quick reconnect(new firmware for low voltage) feature or not. When the receiver power was turned off and back on, control of the plane was immediately regained. This was confirmed by his moving the elevator servo with the transmitter while I switched the receiver power off and then back on. We did this several times from a momentary off/on cycle to a couple of seconds off to on. Each time control was immediately regained when the receiver power switch was turned on. However, at no time during this test did the receiver lights blink after power was turned back on. Both receiver lights come back on steady. I thought the check for the upgrade was after receiver power goes below about 3.8v and then when voltage comes back above about 3.8v, control is regained and the lights blink.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AR7000 POST BROWNOUT UPGRADE QUESTION???

I think there was a previous version of quick connect. I had an early JR921 receiver that would quick connect but not blink. Then I bought another 921 that would quick connect and blink too. I sent the early 921 back to Horizon and they updated it so now it will blink and quick connect. I would bet the AR7000 you are testing has the early quick connect too.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 PM
van-c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is some confusion over just what constitutes the QuickConnect update feature. Spektrum has issued a bulletin on the subject which can be read [link]http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1756[/link]here.

The QuickConnect feature was added to reduce the time it takes receivers to recover after a brownout. This permits receivers to recover from low voltage or powerdown events (brownout) very quickly, usually in less than a second.

As I understand it, shortly after QuickConnect was added, Spektrum engineers decided to make another update which would, in effect, "log" the event that the QuickConnect feature had been engaged during a flight (or on the bench). This "log" causes the lights to blink after the receiver has recovered from a brownout.

So, if your receiver recovers quickly from a power interruption, it probably (may?) have the QuickConnect feature even if the lights do not blink afterwards. But the more recent update, the "logging" feature, is missing if the lights do not blink.

Note that I say that the receiver "may" have QuickConnect if it recovers quickly, even if the lights don't blink. Some people point out that recovery can be very quick on even an non QuickConnect receiver if the transmitter is using a frequency that comes early-on in the signal search list of the receiver. The only way to be certain, I suppose, is if the light blinking occurs then you know QuickConnect is installed.

HTH,

Van
Old 05-01-2008, 05:54 AM
airbusdrvr

I bought my three AR7000s and three R921s last year. I remember that prior to the upgrade when doing the low voltage(brownout) test by momentarily turning off and then back on the receiver power that there was usually three to five seconds before control was regained. His AR7000 regains control as soon as the switch is turned back on and has a steady light. This receiver was just purchased from a LHS last week. So who knows what stage of firmware upgrade it has. I'm sure Horizon's answer will be to send it back for a check.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:05 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be "send it in"if yo want the flashing lightfeature -
I love this update it is a "feature" to me

wish I had it 30 years ago troubleshoothig the "glitches "
Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 AM
airbusdrvr

van-c, after reading the bulletin you referred to in your post above,I believe you are indeed correct.