Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HI TEC SERVOS

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 AM
liketoflyalot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HI TEC SERVOS

Anyone have problems with HI TEC SERVOS? I used servo # HS-475HB for the throttle in my GP 232 and almost found out hard way not to use locktite on Karbonite .The locktite will make the shaft weak and it will break off (lucky mine broke while field testing) I flew it this past sat for the first time it took two freq hits so we took it back down. We found the plug wire (on my fugi bt64eis )was working its way off (another lucky catch).We were going up a second time and thats when the shaft broke. I will change to a 645 with metal gears and can use locktite on this servo (this is what hitec told me ).
Thanks,
Ray
Old 05-06-2008, 12:19 AM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: HI TEC SERVOS

I've never use loctite, even with the weak stuff it's too easy to end up with a screw that wont' come out. I use silicone holds well, stops vibration backing out the screw but is easy-peasy to get out when you want it to. Won't react with nylon or karbonite either.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:38 AM
liketoflyalot

Thanks for the info .I'm going to solo soon and hope that all the planes i have built will have all the bugs worked out.I just learned about rc universe and just joined it's nice to have a place to get info.
Ray
Old 05-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you using locktite on plastic parts?

Locktite is ONLY necessary when threading metal to metal.

I would suggest changing the thread title to: "Using locktite on servo output shafts"

From here:[link]http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-6965HB[/link]

Warning: Do not use thread lockers on Karbonite geared servo as it will cause the output shaft to fail.
This should be common knowledge and not even a problem.

Rafael
Old 05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
liketoflyalot

Rafael,
Thanks next time i need to come up with a good tread i'll keep you in mind . Oh , and i think Xjet answered the question scroll up you'll find it!
Thanks,
Ray
Old 05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: doutrusthitec

Anyone have problems with HI TEC SERVOS? I used servo # HS-475HB for the throttle in my GP 232 and almost found out hard way not to use locktite on Karbonite .The locktite will make the shaft weak and it will break off (lucky mine broke while field testing) I flew it this past sat for the first time it took two freq hits so we took it back down. We found the plug wire (on my fugi bt64eis )was working its way off (another lucky catch).We were going up a second time and thats when the shaft broke. I will change to a 645 with metal gears and can use locktite on this servo (this is what hitec told me ).
Thanks,
Ray
I've used HiTec servos for years, and I use them exclusively on my high-end scale projects. The reason? I've never had a HiTec servo fail. Ever! If you are experiencing that much vibration, might I inquire if you are balancing your props? If not, you might find that you have far fewer plug-in issues, and far fewer fractures of components.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Donttrusthitec,
You are blameing the manufacturer for your mistake. Did you read the directions for the servo's or for the Loctite for that matter. The problem is not the servo's in this case, but the end user.[sm=idea.gif] I also use there Digitals exclusively.
I have never had a Hitec servo failure either.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:29 AM
liketoflyalot

MOTORMAN37,
It had no directions . Mabe i got a return? Do they come with directions?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Rafael23cc

Rafael,
Thanks next time i need to come up with a good tread i'll keep you in mind . Oh , and i think Xjet answered the question scroll up you'll find it!
Thanks,
Ray
He did? What is the answer? Use silicone? But why did you use loctite in the first place? You never answered that one. Last time I checked this was a public forum where you come to get opinions from MANY people. Some with a lot of experience, and some with the eagerness to help, but not that much experience. If you just want ONE opinion just ask your Hobby Shop owner, or your flying buddy. Take your gamble on the amount of experience they have.

His answer did not really shine a light on the mistake you made. NEVER USE LOCTITE ON PLASTIC PARTS! Bottom line. It was not Hitec's fault, it is not a problem with the servos.

And you don't need me to come up with crative ideas to post on here. It seems that you will have many more intersting posts to come.

Rafael
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
liketoflyalot

Rafael,
I used locktite because i was told to on all servos. I'm new to RC just getting ready to solo on a alpha 60 . I trust that people will head me in the correct way but just like
life it can change in a second . I now have to check all the planes i have built and mabe buy alot of rebuilding kits for servos .(this sucks) But now that i know about RC Universe i can ask before i do . I have the alpha 40, alpha 60 ,four star ,frenzy ,and 2 GP cap 232 with ( fugi bt43ei mabe another problem later?) ( i will fly them in that order once i learn from my instructor)
Thanks,
Ray
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Take it easy on the guy... he called us and told us that his hobby shop told him to use loctite ( which is a major concern) but you guys know that hobby shop employees are hit and miss as to their experience.

Hopefully the shop has been told that you were given the wrong info and will comp you the gearset or at least give you a discount... now you know. I would suggest that if you want to become part of the RCU community that you will have better luck if you change your screen name to something a little more appropriate! )

Good luck with this hobby, just remember though... there are only TWO types of R/C aircraft: The ones that have crashed and the ones that are going too!

For specific Hitec support visit this forum: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_53/tt.htm Oh... and don't forget to change your screen name first or I might just delete you!

Mike.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Rafael23cc

Rafael,
I used locktite because i was told to on all servos. ....
If the person that told you this was your instructor, I would be very careful from now on. You know he was wrong in one suggestion, how many more could he be wrong?

If it was somebody else, then take the advise from that person very carefully and cross reference with other experienced people. You know like the kind of people you will find here.

And there is no reason to get your undies in a bunch. It is all for the enjoyment of the hobby and your progress in it.

Rafael
Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM
liketoflyalot

Mike,
I'll do that( change my screen name) but first some questions? How am i or anybody supposed to know about the locktite issue if i did'nt get info in box?
When i got my Frenzy it give me a place for CG but when i happened to be on the site i think hanger 9 they had an addendum that the CG was wrong. Why was the retailer not sent this info to pass along? Why do alot of fugi 43ei have problems and i was'nt told when i purchased? I almost lost a $2000.00 plane because NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE LOCKTITE PROBLEM!!!!! ALL the sellers of the products are kinda NOT TELLING THE TRUTH . Hi tec did say they were going to send me the new gear set ,but this time only . Like it was a favor to send my a fix because i did'nt know(because i was'nt told this info in any packet included in the box with the servos i got) that any product to secure screw from comming out would affect it!! So its great that hi tec servive will send me this gear set but how many other people(new like me to rc) will lose $$$$$ due to companys keeping info out of our hands? The worst part is your telling me you might just delete me? Why just becaue i'm expressing my concern? WOW!!!!! And your a hi tec rep? WOW !!!! I used this tread to get info not to be cursed,flamed,degraded,insulted,embarrassed,etc,et c But i was wrong i guess!!
But thats ok !!!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:49 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

if you hadnt been told by someone to put locktite on the servo would you have? Sounds to me like you should ask the person who told you in the first place whether they still recommend doing it after your experience. I think they should be told not to tell anyone again the same thing. I had never heard or been told you should put Locktite on most servos. For starters having experience with locktite i know its only intended for metal to metal adhesion. to even be told to put it on a nylon gear set is suspect. It kind of upsets me that someone would tell you to do so. In this case I dont see it as the fault of Hitec but the advice giver who owes you a gear set.

ps just for others to pay attention to
http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-475HB

at the bottom it states two things
Note: Be aware that high vibration gas (not glow) engines combined with large contol surfaces and large thows (3D models) can put undue strain on the gears. Metal geared servos are recommended for these applications even if under 12lbs.

Warning: Do not use thread lockers on Karbonite geared servo as it will cause the output shaft to fail.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:29 PM
liketoflyalot

Yes I told that person and they will pass it on . No i would have not put loctite on the 645 0r the 475. But i would have checked to see if they were tight before flight. Well the good thing is that i know this now . But i will check this site now before i buy anything . I do have two fugi43ei in both cap 232s but this could be another problem.
Thanks to all who responded .......and happy flying!!!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:43 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yesitrusthitec

LOL - couldn't help it. For what it's worth, I've used their electron 6 receivers for a while now, and had great luck with them, too. A sport plane I've had for about 10 years now has a hitec 8 ch receiver in it, again with no troubles.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:49 PM
carrellh

Mike,
The worst part is your telling me you might just delete me? Why just becaue i'm expressing my concern? WOW!!!!! And your a hi tec rep? WOW !!!! ................
I think the "might just delete you! )" bit was a joke and the parenthesis was supposed to be a smiley. I've noticed that some of mine convert to smileys, even when I want them to be parenthesis.

You obviously put a bit of negativity about Hitec into your choice of a screen name. If you have a screen name that is a deliberate jab at a manufacturer, I think they have the right to jab back.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:51 PM
liketoflyalot

Fizzwater2,
Thanks for (yesitrusthitec) i needed a good laugh today.
Freedom of speech isnt it GREAT!!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:00 PM
carrellh

Freedom of speech isnt it GREAT!!
RCU does not claim to allow freedom of speech. It is a privately owned site that sets the rules, and it can apply them any way it wants.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:01 PM
liketoflyalot

I'll change the screen name when Mike Mayberry answers my questions as i stated in post #13 .
But thank you for your concerns on this issue . And your right Eye 4 an EYE .
Old 05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
liketoflyalot

Post # 19 What? My comment on Post #18 was just expressing myself about freedom of speech that is it !! Are you at home looking for ways to fit in? Or do you need some one to talk to ? Can't we just get along here? Maybe not ! HMMMMMMM............Well thank for your concern on the issues I will keep your comments in mind.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:24 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Since I own a LHS I was going to post about giving information to new people, but I'm going to wait and see how this goes. Seeing what he has already bought for future use. I can't help but wonder where this will all lead. His grammar tends to make me think he needs a few more years before he will listen, but the cost of what he has makes me wonder where the money is coming from. I get the feeling he is going to a hard one to teach . Dennis
Old 05-07-2008, 05:33 PM
liketoflyalot

I will still use HI TEC SERVOS in my planes i was just mad about a $22.00 servo that almost took out my $2000+ or - plane . But for those of you who have $$$ to throw away this is just a drop in the bucket for you . Did'nt mean to insult you with such a cheap problem. I forgot that some of you were born with the knowledge of loctite. Mabe someone treated you bad and you also think like post #17 EYE 4 an EYE . Well .........sorry !!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Stickbuilder

Mike,
I'll do that( change my screen name) but first some questions? How am i or anybody supposed to know about the locktite issue if i did'nt get info in box?
Now don't get upset about this, but there was no warning not to pour gasoline inside the plane and ignite it either. There is plenty of information concerning what to and not to use here on the internet. Do a google search, and you can find out just about anything that is of interest to you. Look up Locktite, and you can find what it is good for, and the compatibilities with other substances. Yeah, some of us have been doing this for longer than most of you have been alive. Ask first.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 PM
XJet
Banned

To be fair, Karbonite is not like nylon it is brittle and has no "give" acting more like metal.

I can understand why someone might think it prudent to use some kind of thread-locker with a Karbonite-geared servo and the fact that there are no instructions to the contrary in the servo's instructions is a point that Hitec ought to address.

We sometimes for get that there are a *lot* of RC fliers who never use the Net (or at least not for researching such an esoteric subject).

Hitec... this has obviously proven to be a problem in the past why not just update the instructions that ship with your servos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.