Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

ORIGINAL: beto9

I am amazed.
After more than 300 postings...
This thread started because some flyers discovered that their 6014 will malfunction at high temperatures.
Some people, over time, reported no problems.
Eventually Futaba, by means of a Baxter posting, gave 1/4 of a answer describing how to set the receiver in the plane. I think implicitcly admitting that there was a problem.
Futaba itself has not acknowledged the problem or have stated clearly that there is no problem. I must here recall the famous poisoned Tylenol scare of many years back: the company reacted promptly and removed the product from the shelves. Tylenol is still selling today, very well I think. The way the case was handled by Tylenol was quoted for years in business publications: better to act than to let it fester.

Another Futaba faux-pas was the admission that the signal voltage in those receivers was lower than habitual.... after they have sold many of them, not before. And the recommendation was to use... a power expander.

And now, the result of all this is that we, the flyers, the users of the product, are biting and snarling to each opther instead of concentrating in the reported problem and lobbying for a definite answer from the manufacturer.

It is also somewhat possible that problem reporting in some products, be it Futaba, JR, Spektrum or whatever are marketing campaigns by competitors. The Internet is fantastic in creating a community of people with the same interests but not very good at separating the grain from the chaff.

Beto9

You hit the nail on the head it really cant be said any clearly. Also this thread has
become way to long and IMO that can cause the real importaint info to be missed.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:38 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

Let me get this right, if someone speaks their opinion and you don't like it, that makes them a company rep?
Company rep or as they say over at Fl*ing Gia*ts a FAN BOY

Don't worry 'bout it
Ah, I see. Can't argue with facts so you start calling names. Got it.
Hey. I was just haveing some fun. You see there is a thread on that other site about XPS. It goes on forever. If you like XPS your a "FanBoy" if you like the guy who doesn't like XPS ( and there are a bunch) they are some how not "FanBoys" of that guy.

Just funny how this thread is starting to catch up with the for mentioned one on XPS as far as getting off topic and number of posts made.

I did not mean to call anyone any names........ that does no good no matter what.

Hope all here who think they have an issue with whatever get it resolved without any harm coming to their cars, planes, helis. I run two 6014's and have not had any issues with them...lucky me!!! I also have XPS on MultiPlex and it works well as well...double lucky me.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am amazed.
This thread started because some flyers discovered that their 6014 will malfunction at high temperatures.
Eventually Futaba, by means of a Baxter posting, gave 1/4 of a answer describing how to set the receiver in the plane. I think implicitcly admitting that there was a problem.

Certainly think or imply as you wish. However the suggestions are primarily for those who may lack experience, knowledge, even reasonable judgment concerning the temperature sensitivity of the newest equipment. Though personally very experienced in RC, I found the installation instructions clear, sensible and useful.

Futaba itself has not acknowledged the problem or have stated clearly that there is no problem. I must here recall the famous poisoned Tylenol scare of many years back: the company reacted promptly and removed the product from the shelves. Tylenol is still selling today, very well I think. The way the case was handled by Tylenol was quoted for years in business publications: better to act than to let it fester.

It has been stated there can be a heat issue so reasonable precautions need to be taken to maintain the equipment’s installation environment within -10C to +50C range. If equipment falters within that range it needs to replaced. A number of individuals who performed personal tests posted results that far exceeded the range limits. A few have shown theirs failed. Clearly Futaba need not explain nor state either way since the product is engineered and manufactured to operate correctly within a known consumer electronics temperature range. If it fails, they will replace it. But there have not been massive failures reported, only perceived by some, so it is a non-issue to me.

Our RC equipment has been manufactured to those standards for many years. With new, emerging technology and the proliferation of many uninformed consumers graduating up from the RC toy level, Futaba’s only failing here is thinking historically, that all RC’ers today are as smart as it used to be.

Another Futaba faux-pas was the admission that the signal voltage in those receivers was lower than habitual.... after they have sold many of them, not before. And the recommendation was to use... a power expander.

Granted Futaba should have pointed that out in the receiver specifications so an owner could determine potential compatibility issues with their existing equipment. However I don’t consider it Futaba’s responsibility to maintain 100% compatibility with aftermarket equipment. GM and Ford don’t have to insure AutoZone’s parts fit properly nor conform to habitual standards.

And now, the result of all this is that we, the flyers, the users of the product, are biting and snarling to each opther instead of concentrating in the reported problem and lobbying for a definite answer from the manufacturer.

Lobby all you want and express your personal dissatisfaction. If Futaba provides more information it will never be considered ‘definite’ by some. Anyone thinking Futaba will go down the tubes for not responding to their individual perceptions is deluding themselves. Collective complaints can get attention but only if they are supported with facts. Fact: Some systems have failed. Fact: There are NO reports of mass failures. End of discussion in my book.

It is also somewhat possible that problem reporting in some products, be it Futaba, JR, Spektrum or whatever are marketing campaigns by competitors. The Internet is fantastic in creating a community of people with the same interests but not very good at separating the grain from the chaff.

Certainly agree here.
I’m certain the 900 pound Gorilla in this room will step all over these comments and opinions, both yours and mine, but I won’t see them. For me the little red ‘Block’ hand at the lower left cuts this thread about a third.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 AM
bgold

If I go to one of SmanMTB's posts and push the red hand will that block bozo's posts from my computer.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:31 AM
SManMTB

Works just the same way as blocking the pompous ass Mr Dick.

For everyones enjoyment and info we can easily see who can't take another persons opinions and observations without going off the deep end and then much later trying to come off as a saint. Just look at post #296.
It's our 'wonderful leader' Mr Dick. Everything was fine up until then and then the bozo starts getting offended starting the condesending tone and name calling.
He can't take being wrong.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just going to quit reading the whole thread...
Old 07-19-2008, 09:44 AM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

I am amazed.

Certainly think or imply as you wish. However the suggestions are primarily for those who may lack experience, knowledge, even reasonable judgment concerning the temperature sensitivity of the newest equipment. Though personally very experienced in RC, I found the installation instructions clear, sensible and useful.

It has been stated there can be a heat issue so reasonable precautions need to be taken to maintain the equipment’s installation environment within -10C to +50C range. If equipment falters within that range it needs to replaced. A number of individuals who performed personal tests posted results that far exceeded the range limits. A few have shown theirs failed. Clearly Futaba need not explain nor state either way since the product is engineered and manufactured to operate correctly within a known consumer electronics temperature range. If it fails, they will replace it. But there have not been massive failures reported, only perceived by some, so it is a non-issue to me.

Our RC equipment has been manufactured to those standards for many years. With new, emerging technology and the proliferation of many uninformed consumers graduating up from the RC toy level, Futaba’s only failing here is thinking historically, that all RC’ers today are as smart as it used to be.

Granted Futaba should have pointed that out in the receiver specifications so an owner could determine potential compatibility issues with their existing equipment. However I don’t consider it Futaba’s responsibility to maintain 100% compatibility with aftermarket equipment. GM and Ford don’t have to insure AutoZone’s parts fit properly nor conform to habitual standards.

Lobby all you want and express your personal dissatisfaction. If Futaba provides more information it will never be considered ‘definite’ by some. Anyone thinking Futaba will go down the tubes for not responding to their individual perceptions is deluding themselves. Collective complaints can get attention but only if they are supported with facts. Fact: Some systems have failed. Fact: There are NO reports of mass failures. End of discussion in my book.

Certainly agree here.
I’m certain the 900 pound Gorilla in this room will step all over these comments and opinions, both yours and mine, but I won’t see them. For me the little red ‘Block’ hand at the lower left cuts this thread about a third.

Just go back to post #296 and see who actually started.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I have deleted a number of posts in the last 2 pages. It seems that the majority of posts now come down to bashing other members or about how useless the thread is. I think the topic has been well discussed from both sides and each member has had more than adequate input into the topic. Before it loses it value as information, I am shutting the thread down.