Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What is the best 2.4 for a 9C

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Rob4469-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best 2.4 for a 9C

I am considering changing my radio over to 2.4. In my research I have learned I have three options but all have had some sort of issue.

1. Futaba Fasst. If the temp exceeeds 164 degrees the reciever go into lockout. Going into a heli canopy with engine heat and it get warm as heck here.

2. Xtreme. NOt sure why, Everyone just does not like it. They claim the manufacter is making false claims about its stoutness.

3. Spectrum, Not really sure of the issue realted there.

What do you guys recommend.

!.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What is the best 2.4 for a 9C

I use XPS in mine. Maybe I'm taking an awful chance, but in over a year with 5 planes, and now 12, I have yet to have a single tiny little glitch.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently put a TM-8 module in my 9C and haven't had any problems yet, even flying on a couple 90 degree days.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

I was thinking about going to the Assan units, here: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...5538&cda=13246
and here: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...5540&cda=13246 when I decide to go 2.4 on my airplanes. The prices are sure hard to beat, and others have given great reviews with them mounted to their 9C's.
I'll bet many of the complaints posted about most of the products on the market are there because the users never bothered to read or follow the instructions, anyway. As far as issues and possible problems, since every brand you mentioned has its detractors, I think you just pay your money and take your chances.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:49 PM
XJet
Banned

To help you make an informed decision I suggest you read the following:

[link=http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum01.shtml]2.4GHz Explained[/link]
[link=http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrumtests.shtml]2.4GHz RC systems tested[/link]
[link=http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/xpshopping.shtml]Why Are Some XPS Users So Hopping Mad?[/link]

My own personal opinion is that the FASST system would be best for converting a 9C.

The temperature issue is something that can be avoided simply by keeping your model out of direct sunlight if you're in a very hot part of the country. I'm not defending Futaba's slow response to the various issues that have arisen with FASST but it's still probably the best 2.4GHz implementation on the market right now.

A Spektrum module would be another option with several benefits. Firstly, there's a greater range of receivers available and (after a few teething problems) the system has developed a strong following with a good track-record for reliability.

Outside these two "first-tier" systems, you take a drop down to the second-tier offerings of Assan and XPS.

Both are functionally pretty similar and offer about the same levels of performance in respect to their resilience to interference. They'll work just fine on your average sports model and in areas where there's not a lot of interference on the 2.4GHz band. However, there's no way you should be using either of these in a large, fast or expensive model they don't have anywhere near the same ability to cope with strong interference that the JR/Spektrum or Futaba systems do.

Assan are currently working on a "version 2" that will improve its interference resistance.

XPS is a box of hype I'm afraid. Yes, it works well enough for many people but one by one, many of the claims made for this system have been debunked by a number of people. I for one would not buy an RC system from a company that had to resort to BS to sell their system and failed to deliver on so many promises (telemetry, satellite receivers, etc).

If you'd be happy with a second-tier system, I don't know why anyone would pay twice as much for an XPS system when they could get the same performance from Assan for half the price and without all the BS, deceit and hype.

Another option is the Corona 2.4GHz system that's due out in a couple of months. I'm awaiting one of these to test and publish my findings. I believe (yet to be confirmed) that it is a frequency-hopping system like Futaba and Airtronics. Other than that I can't say much until I get my hands on one.

About now, a bunch of XPS "fan boys" will erupt from the woodwork and claim I have an agenda against the product and its designer.

Don't believe them all I'm interested in is making sure that people don't get duped by snake-oil salesmen over-hyping a decidedly "average" product (with problems) and claiming it's better than the product of multi-million dollar companies that have been making RC equipment for decades.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:56 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you just have read the info on RCU and other like forums and then make
up your own mind. For what its worth I have a TM7 in my 9C and so far I like it.

At my field most people are using the Spectrum DX7 and there are three people
that have XPS that I know of but they either dont fly regularly or they dont use
their XPS on a regular basis.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: Foamaholic

I use XPS in mine. Maybe I'm taking an awful chance, but in over a year with 5 planes, and now 12, I have yet to have a single tiny little glitch.
Same here-.90 glow to 34% gas-
Old 05-27-2008, 07:00 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Spektrum module in my JR9303 TX. Zero problems and I can slowly convert to 3.4 receivers without giving up 72Mhz. Eventually I will go 100% 2.4. If you were starting out from scratch, Spektrum, JR2.4, Futaba FASST.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rob4469-RCU

I am considering changing my radio over to 2.4. In my research I have learned I have three options but all have had some sort of issue.

1. Futaba Fasst. If the temp exceeeds 164 degrees the reciever go into lockout. Going into a heli canopy with engine heat and it get warm as heck here.

2. Xtreme. NOt sure why, Everyone just does not like it. They claim the manufacter is making false claims about its stoutness.

3. Spectrum, Not really sure of the issue realted there.

What do you guys recommend.

!.
Since I went through the conversion to 2.4 question and process with a discontinued Futaba radio (the 9Z), I'll offer another thought;

Since the 9C is discontinued;

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=JQT

I think I'd see about selling it while it still has some value and then go buy yourself whatever radio you prefer in 2.4GHz....
Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 AM
pilotpete2

To the best of my knowledge only the 14 channel Fasst receiver has had a heat related issue, allegedly that is, as that temperature is too hot for most electronics anyway.
Pete
Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM
PipeMajor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zeeb
Since the 9C is discontinued;
DISCONTINUED?!! [:@]

Man, I just bought mine not even 18 months ago. Sprang for the synthesized TX module and R319DPS RX. The 9C is a workhorse of a radio but the world is migrating to 2.4GHz and Futaba (one of these days) will really, really, really release their 10C in 2.4GHz. I'm at a loss why they continue to stick their antennae on the rear of the TX even with their dedicated 2.4GHz systems.

That said, I considered both the Futaba FAAST and Spektrum 2.4GHz modules for my 9C - at least for a little bit. I opted instead to buy the JR X9303 2.4GHz system when Horizon was offering their giveaway event. The prospect of getting $250 of FREE DSM2 receivers was simply too great to pass up. Had it not been for Horizon to "saturate" the market with proprietary DSM2 receivers, I probably would have gone with the FAAST module. I don't think one solution is measurably superior to anothers'.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Flyfast1

Rob,

I have Futaba's FAAST modules for my 9C (TM-8 module and several eight channel receivers) and they have been great. I am also an XPS userhave been since early on. Like others have said, take a look around the forums and also over at some of the other sites and you will find a lot of information on all these systems. It could keep you busy for a few days, easy. I have confidence in the FAAST system and use it in my 1/4 scale warbirds (100"+; 35 lbs+). I do not know whether the heat problems affect the eight channel receivers, but it's something to be aware of. In my own opinion, Futaba's FAAST system is better than XPS for two reasons. First, the FAAST system's frequency hopping increases the likelihood that some good frames get through to the receiver, even in the presence of heavy interference. Even if the XPS system changes channels, that's not as good as the frequency hopping used by Futaba because of issues associated with making the channel change. Second, the XPS receiver antenna is a single short stub, about an inch long. I think this is more easily blocked or "blanked" by metal or carbon fiber in a plane than Futaba's receiver, because the Futaba receivers have antenna diversity with two antenna on coaxes, that allow them to be spread apart and oriented in two different planes. The receiver uses the best signal from the two antenna.

-Ed B.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Rob4469-RCU

Thank you all for your comments. The links on the video testing From Xjet was enough to sell me on what works and what doesnt. Anyone know of any good deals on spetrum or FASST.

Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:39 PM
pilotpete2

After flying with the TM-8 module in my 9C super for a month, I really like the antenna hidden across the back of the Tx better than on top, much less in the way and this way you never point the tip of the antenna at the plane when flying, it's always closer to parallel with the plane. You really appreciate the Futaba module/antenna arrangement when you're working on the bench doing setup.
Pete
Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 PM
BuschBarber

I was a die hard Futaba user until the JR9303 came out. I have both the 9C (not the Super) and the 9303. I was disappointed that the 9th channel on the 9C was just a switch and did not work except with a PCM receiver. The JR9303 came with 9 channels that worked with PCM or PPM, Flaps were by default on a three position switch, and then there were the Flight Modes. When I finally decided to jump to 2.4, the Spektrum module was easy to install and I have had no problems, even with the coax out the back. I also have the full 9 channels in 2.4. If I understand correctly, the 2.4 module for the 9C only gives you 8 channels.

I am sure that the Futaba 10, 12, and 14 channel 2.4 systems have loads of features and will work just as well as the JR counterparts. For me, the Spektrum module was the easiest and cheapest way to jump to 9 channel 2.4. If the Futaba 9C had the same features as the JR9303 and they had a 2.4 module that gave me 9 channels, I might have stayed with Futaba.

I am invested, now, in Spektrum receivers so I doubt I will jump back to Futaba unless there is some overwhelming reason to do so (i.e., features I have to have).

If I had nothing and I was starting from scratch, I would easily consider both JR and Futaba systems.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Flyfalcons

Did you have a hard time assigning flaps to a three position switch on the 9C?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 PM
BuschBarber

As I look at the 9C manual, it says that Channels 5-9 can be assigned to various switches and sliders. I guess I never tried to assign Flaps to a switch as I did not have a plane with Flaps at the time. Pg 39 in manual refers to Flaps on a switch. It would be interesting to know if I could assign Flaps to a 3 position switch and have Flaps Up, Half Flaps, and Landing Flaps.

Sorry if I misled you on that one.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Flyfalcons

Yes, on the 9C you can assign flaps to a switch, and if you want half flap capability just assign them to a three-position switch. You can also have all rates on the same switch (like flight modes) and with switch assignment, you can have a mix on the same switch as your rate switch. For example, on my F-14 I assigned an elevator offset mix to the same switch as the wing swing, giving me a new trim setting on the elevators for when the wings sweep back. I also assigned a higher expo on my elevons (for the aileron function) for when the wing switch is in the "swept" position to tame the roll rate around center. All that with the flip of a single switch. Pretty capable little radio.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:52 PM
BuschBarber

Sounds great!!! One thing about Flight Modes, on the JR, they are like having 3 Model Memories per Model Memory, as almost every parameter in a Model Memory can be modified for each Flight Mode. You can have different Programmable Mixers, different Trim setups, different Switch Assignments, etc.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:14 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I got the TM-8 module for my 9C and so far I too am very happy. I may switch to the 10C or the JR 9303 sometime in the future, but right now for the price of the the 10C or the JR I have an 8 Channel Fasst system with several extra receivers. Plus I have removed the "shootdown" risk from my planes. My son has the 7 Channel Fasst and it's nice being compatible with his radio for buddy boxing new planes. The comments on the convenience of the antenna arrangement on the TM-8 are right on. It's really great for bench testing.
Sam
Old 05-28-2008, 06:59 AM
BuschBarber

I think the fact that it more than meets your needs and is affordable, is the bottom line. After years of worrying about being shot down or waiting forever for the frequency pin, to fly or adjust my plane, 2.4 is fantastic, whichever implementation you choose.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:34 AM
forrest gump

Hi guys.For what its worth heres my take on things.I have a 9z(zap)with both a tm8 FASST module and an assan module.Both work faultlessly and have done for 3months or more.The FASST system is totally bullet proof and i have yet to break the link between module and rx.Even in range check mode it covers the whole flying field with out link loss.

The assan if a wonderful low priced system that i use in all electric small planes and foamies for cost reasons.I cannot put a £60 FASST rx in a foamie... I would need a money loan do put them in all my foamies.The assan rx work out at £11 for the 6ch and £12 for the 7ch and just work.we have flown them 300/400m away with no probs at all and I have every confidence in them as the link is safer than 35mhz ppm/pcm.

You have to compare the assan to old ppm/pcm stuff not the first tier fasst/spectrum.Like wise i would not ,and have not put the assan in my £600($1200) glider as its been proved by Kiwi about the interference issue.This wipe out of the assan and xps is unlikly to happen at the field and is an extreme case but never the less valid.Also its difficult to put a £12 rx in a £600 glider with out reservation.

I have encompased both systems wih great sucess and will continue to do so for the next few years.....hope this helps...chris