Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Binding plug for DX6i

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:29 PM
David Gower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Binding plug for DX6i

G'day all,

The Binding Plug for my DX6i will not fit to the switch's charging lead - that's if I attempt to follow the manual's instructions and try to connect it to the charge lead on the switch. ..... []
That is because it's a PLUG when I reckon it should be a SOCKET. ..... [>:]
A Standard universal switch, which includes JR types, has two leads fitted with Uni, (Hitec or JR) PLUGS - one each side of the switch, the single lead fitted with a plug on one end for fitting to the Rx and on the other end two leads, one a SOCKET into which the Rx battery is fitted, and the other being charge lead's PLUG both exiting from the same end as this from the switch.
Is this gross error on JR/Spektrums part??? - or will I have to make up a SOCKET type of my own to make it work? Of course JR/Spektrum may have just left out the alternative SOCKET style binding 'attachment' from my radio .... ? Because it shouldn/t be called a PLUG!!!! .... [:@]

Have I misinterpreted the manuals instructions???? - because the illustration in it apparently shows a PLUG loosely linked with its wire loop to a SOCKET that is already attached to the switch's Charge Plug.

I think it would be wise for this Forum to get a direct link back to JR/Spektrum again, PDQ, similar to the original 'Ask Danny' Forum thread, rather than have to rely on ordinary, but no doubt knowledgable, modellers to fill in this deficiency.

All in all this is very annoying, if this is just an omission, to say the least!!!

David.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Binding plug for DX6i

plug your power lead into a spare channel and put the bind plug into the one marked power, you can leave it plugged into the spare channel afterwards or put it all back as it twas.
I usually use a short extension so I can plug it in easily...you shouldnt have to re bind many times anyway
Old 06-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Ken6PPC

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM6803

That has both a male and a female plug for binding. This is what came with my rx's. If you don't already have one of these, you can buy this version for $2.99 + shipping.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 PM
David Gower

Panzlflyer and Ken6PPc,

Thanks to both of you for the ultra prompt reply.
Panzlflyer - Because I obviously only have the plug type binder, to save a little time, and not expecting such a fast response to my enquiry, I actually found out exactly what you advised me to do from the Aussie distributor, Modelflight, as well - although it invloved a long-distance call to Adelaide in S. Australia. ....

Wouldn't it would have been nice though - eh? - if the DX6i's Manual's binding instruction also included this amendment as well. Obviously that is if the alternative SOCKET type binder, as Ken showed in his link to Horizons website, is not supplied as a standard accessory, which it wasn't in my set. Why, it wasn't I don't know, although I think it should have been! .... [>:]

Both of them are also, as I surmised, exactly what is pictured in the Manual.

However, I have now successfully bound the Rx as per Panzlflyer's (and Modelflight's) instructions, and just as you said Ken, the Binding PLUG is normally only needed to be used once per model, and which I found is fairly easy to insert into the Rx, together with the switch plug into a vacant servo socket.
Just that it's more than a little annoying to have to ask for a fix in the first place, is all!

Regards David.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:39 AM
David Gower

An addendum to this thread which I just found out from Modelflight in Oz - the Spektrum distributors here.

If for some reason you lose or mislay your Bind Plug, and more especially if you lose the Bind to a particular model at the field, and you find you've left your Bind Plug at home, here's a quick fix, and IMO it's a good 'un too! ....

All you have to do is disconnect the Battery-Switch lead from the Battery Port on the Rx and also disconnect ANY SERVO from the Rx. Then just plug this particular Servo into the Battery Port. It now actually becomes the Bind Plug.
The Battery-Switch lead is then plugged into any vacant servo port, as per the method in the previous section of this thread, and the Rx can be re-bound again. After this is successfully accomplished, the Battery and Servo leads that were removed can be replaced as they were originally.

How's them apples? It actually feels good to pass on something which may be useful in return for the info I received ....

David.