Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

12FG and Z.....vs...14Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Ray Davis
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12FG and Z.....vs...14Z

Looking for the pros and cons and reasons for choosing one over the other...particularly ease of use, any problems, programming, etc. Flying jets...going FASST shortly....what are the real differences besides cost and number of channels?

Most appreciate informed responses....and why you chose the one ya did!

Ray

Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 12FG and Z.....vs...14Z

The one issue that comes to my mind is does the 12FG support the MPDX-1 Multi-Proportional System Decoder? Since you are flying jets the extra virtual channels may be of interest... Futaba's feature comparison can be found here:
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html

I chose the 12z over the 12FG primarly because I wanted LiIon batteries, better gimbals, compact flash memory, and a tx case. I never considered the 14MZ because of the cost... I also think the 12z programming is about the same as the 14MZ and both offer features above and beyond the 12FG.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

On a shallow note, the 12FG feels like a sport valued transmitter. I love the way my 9ZAW feels (heavier, better gimbals) compared my FG.

Kurt
Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 AM
skorp_jon

12FG Support MPDX-1 Multi-Proportional System Decoder from version 1.5 now

I own 12FG and is great.

That comparision chart on futaba site is old. You have to check all updates and then you will know what all you have.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 AM
beto9

ORIGINAL: skorp_jon

12FG Support MPDX-1 Multi-Proportional System Decoder from version 1.5 now

I own 12FG and is great.

That comparision chart on futaba site is old. You have to check all updates and then you will know what all you have.
Do you know what are the changes in version 1.5 for the 12FG? Futaba has not published the notice of the changes included. And Bax or Krista are not answering the question...Also... what is "MPDX-1 Multi-Proportional system decoder".... PLEASE!

Thank you!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Ray Davis

The Comparison Chart shows virtual parity, and I probably can do w/ 12 channels......I'm looking for comments on feel/balance, quality, ease of use, etc........what are those and other less tangible differences between the 12Z and 14Z? I.e., any significant reason to buy the 14 over the 12Z if 12+2 channels are enough? The 14Z Touch Screen...make things that much easier or is the 12Z about as capable and easy to program, etc? How intuitve is each? Tx!

Ray
Old 07-15-2008, 01:49 PM
GalenB

ORIGINAL: beto9
Also... what is "MPDX-1 Multi-Proportional system decoder".... PLEASE!
The MPDX-1 is an expansion device that can be connected to the R5114DPS or 6014FS rx that increases the number of channels by 8. You can attach two MPDX-1 devices for twice the expansion. The expanded channels are fully proportional and can be programmed just like any normal channel. Here is a link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLZH6&P=7
Old 07-15-2008, 01:51 PM
GalenB

ORIGINAL: Bozarth
On a shallow note, the 12FG feels like a sport valued transmitter. I love the way my 9ZAW feels (heavier, better gimbals) compared my FG.
I really appreciate how much lighter my 12z is over my 9z. My 9z on a tray can cause neck pains really quickly!
Old 07-15-2008, 02:51 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I picked the 14mzh because its VERY intuitive. It's like a computer screen. The information you want and need is right on the touch screen in plain text. No abbreviations etc. You can use the stylus for touch screen or the buttons provided on the front of the TX. It's just a great product..
Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 PM
skorp_jon

Changes in 1.6 from 1.5 is small bug fix when u change module from example 35 Mhz to 40 Mhz here in europe.

I think that in 1.5 there was an error message and you could not change that. Nothing big was changed, only this bug was fixed.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:20 PM
xcellheli

I own the 14mz and my friend owns the 12z. The 12z is more comfortable in the hands. Both are 14 channels (12 proportional and 2 digital). The 12z programs faster then the 14, since there is a slight delay each time the touch screen is pressed. The 14 has more control with sound and can be programmed to call your IMAC routine. Pictures of the plane can also be put into the 14. Of course the color screen is nice and makes the graphs slightly easier to see and allows multiple graphs to be displayed at the same time for each rate. Both are extremely potent radios, but the 12 is a slightly better value. If you want it all, then the 14 will not disapoint you.

The 12fg is also potent and 14 channels. You lose the lithium battery and the nice transmitter travel case and the gimbles are different then the 12z and 14mz. They are still very nice and ball bearing, but different. The transmitter has a little more plastic feel but is still very comfortable in the hands. Once again also a great value for the money.

Just pick one, you will love it.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 AM
beto9

If the programming ease, after you get the hang of it, is in the 12FZ and 14MZ, like the 12FG... I would say, the three are excellent.
Surprisingly, in Futaba Japan Web site ( www.futaba.co.jp ) the 12FG and 12FZ do not exist. Same with the 10C.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Ray Davis

I'm hearing the 12MZ will likely be phased out; the 12FG uses exactly the same gymbals/bearings as are in the 14MZ. This from a large dealer/repair service. But...he also said the FG screen is backlit.....which I know not to be true (right?).

Gotta get them all in my hands, I guess.

Tx all for the good info(!)...been most helpful. xcellheli....like you said, all are good.....and, indeed, I will pick one!

Ray
Old 07-16-2008, 04:18 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: Ray Davis

I'm hearing the 12MZ will likely be phased out; the 12FG uses exactly the same gymbals/bearings as are in the 14MZ. This from a large dealer/repair service. But...he also said the FG screen is backlit.....which I know not to be true (right?).

Tx all for the good info(!)...been most helpful. xcellheli....like you said, all are good.....and, indeed, I will pick one!

Ray
you're hearing things all wrong here, especially on the gimbals. the 12FG uses a gimbal that costs around $50.00 while the 12/14Z use a gimbal that cost a mere $150.00...................click here,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_69...tm.htm#6946003

why would Futaba phase out one of their best selling radios anyways?.........because you hear thing on RCU?

you need to search around and read what activity is going on in the real world such as FG site, Helifreaks, Runryder etc, etc..............i'd post links for you but they would get sensored.

don't get me wrong, the 12FG is a good radio, but don't think for a minute that you would not be happier with a 12Z as it does things that'll make you want to sleep with it at night.......it's that sweet
Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 PM
GalenB

ORIGINAL: summerwind
don't get me wrong, the 12FG is a good radio, but don't think for a minute that you would not be happier with a 12Z as it does things that'll make you want to sleep with it at night.......it's that sweet
I do love my 12z, but I'm not sure I would go as far as to sleep with mine! Although I have been known to exclaim whilst programming something and discovering something new: "Sweet! I love this radio!"
Old 07-16-2008, 06:41 PM
xcellheli

I've gone to bed with my 14 on the night stand, but maybe I am missing something. That's it.......the radio gets my wife's spot tonight.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
summerwind

hehe...........yeah that did sound a littler perverse didn't it..................i think those of us who have had the 12/14Z long enough and have done enough programming with them understand the instant bond created[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 07-16-2008, 08:21 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: summerwind

ORIGINAL: Ray Davis

Ray
you're hearing things all wrong here, especially on the gimbals. the 12FG uses a gimbal that costs around $50.00 while the 12/14Z use a gimbal that cost a mere $150.00...................click here,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_69...tm.htm#6946003

why would Futaba phase out one of their best selling radios anyways?.........because you hear thing on RCU?

you need to search around and read what activity is going on in the real world such as FG site, Helifreaks, Runryder etc, etc..............i'd post links for you but they would get sensored.

SLEEP WITH IT?????????? Now you have been hooked way too much!!! a picture of Shania Twain YES but the radio oh man you have it bad
Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 PM
xcellheli

Now I am glad I have the 14. I am going to puts Shania Twains picture on the screen. Then it will be one sexy transmitter.

Ray Davis, you better put this new found capability on your list[sm=wink_smile.gif]