Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

3pm safe receiver voltage

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM
bd323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3pm safe receiver voltage

Hi,

I have a 3pm radio which I use in my gas boat. At what point should I charge up the receiver pack? I use a 5 cell 1500mh nicad pack. Using the Hobbico expanded meter my pack now reads 6.3v which is under the green and should be charged. I think that 6.3 is a good charge for a 6v pack but per the meter it should be carged. Do you agree with this or can I drop voltage low and still be safe. I use 1 1/4scale and one std servo.

Thanks

Brian

Old 08-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: 3pm safe receiver voltage

Depends on the load used when measuring the voltage. And remember, all voltage tells you is that the pack is delivering voltage at that moment in time. It tells you nothing about what is "left" in the pack.

Having said that, I run my 5-cell NiMH packs down to 6.0 volts with a 1 amp load. For boats this has proven to be totally workable. Doing this I am usually at the 70% or so of capacity used for the pack.

And yes, I have a 3PM 2.4 FASST radio in gas boats running two digital servos. I use a Futaba 3152 on throttle and a Futaba 9156 on rudder.

I installed the Sanyo Enerloop NiMH cells in the TX. These cells hold their charge on the shelf much better than regular NiMH cells. Charge them up and after 6 months they still have 90% of their charge. The 2,000 mAh cells run my 3PM TX for about 14 hours. per charge. They are consumer type button top cells just like an alkaline cell.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
bd323

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Depends on the load used when measuring the voltage. And remember, all voltage tells you is that the pack is delivering voltage at that moment in time. It tells you nothing about what is "left" in the pack.

Having said that, I run my 5-cell NiMH packs down to 6.0 volts with a 1 amp load. For boats this has proven to be totally workable. Doing this I am usually at the 70% or so of capacity used for the pack.

And yes, I have a 3PM 2.4 FASST radio in gas boats running two digital servos. I use a Futaba 3152 on throttle and a Futaba 9156 on rudder.

I installed the Sanyo Enerloop NiMH cells in the TX. These cells hold their charge on the shelf much better than regular NiMH cells. Charge them up and after 6 months they still have 90% of their charge. The 2,000 mAh cells run my 3PM TX for about 14 hours. per charge. They are consumer type button top cells just like an alkaline cell.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know who makes the cells in my pack. I was just concerned at what the expaned volt meter considers good. The green section ends at 6.4 volts.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Silent-AV8R

6.4 is pretty high if that is under load. I use a loaded voltmeter. I can measure with no load, 500 mA, 1,000 mA, and 1,500 mA loads An unloaded voltage is next to worthless.

FWIW, NiMH or NiCad cells are considered fully discharged at 0.9 volts per cell, or 4.5 volts for a 5 cell pack. But you never want to get near that voltage. I actually stop when the voltage first drops from 6 volts. 6 or higher I "GO". 5.99 or less is a "NO GO" .voltage for me.

Your meter looks like it uses a very low load (225 to 275 mA) to measure the packs.But for a 2 servo boat it is probably OK. In any case I would feel fine down to 6 volts.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:52 PM
bd323

Thanks for your input. I too feel that 6v is reasonable.

Brian
Old 08-16-2008, 12:45 AM
freeair

for the added safety have you thought of using 2 x rx battery packs combined with 2 x switches ? this way if 1 x pack goes under or a switch should fail you still have others.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Silent-AV8R

I use redundant packs in large scale aerobatic planes. Frankly, in a boat, with only the 2 servos as a load, I don't see the point.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 5 cell pack is still quite adequate at 5.8 volts under load, probably at least 25 to 30 percent capacity still remaining.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:59 PM
bd323

I have not thought about 2 packs. In a standard radiobox your lucky that you get in one pack. I think I keep voltage no less then about 5.8-6v and should be fine.

Thanks

Brian