Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Strange problem with RC controller

Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 AM
sky_explorer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange problem with RC controller

Hello.

I have encountered a very strange problem with my Radio equipment for an RTF Sky Pilot by Hobicco.
The plane comes with a 3channel controller by Futaba transmitting at 27Mhz

Here's what is going on: By moving the control stick for evelator and rudder there is a movement of both elevator and rudder simultaneously! Regardless of whether I push the control stick to the right or left (for the rudder) or up or down (for the elevator) , the result is always the same-both servos move at once.

I though the reason was some malfunctioning on the receiver/ESC, but since I got a new one and the problem persists I concluded the reason was the controller. So, is there something I can do to fix that? I have another 4 channel controller by Futaba (Futaba 4YF 4-Channel FM Radio System); is there a possibility to make that one work for the particular plane by using the appropriate frequency crystal? That would be the best option if it is possible...

I appreciate your suggestions.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:03 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Strange problem with RC controller

Check to see if your mixing switch is on. Looking at the picture in the manual for the one sold in the US, there is a mixing to the right of the servo reversing switches. It should be off.

Allan
Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 AM
sky_explorer

Well, there's no such switch on the controller.
By the way, I made a mistake on my initial post: The controller included with the plane (and the one that is malfunctioning) is by Flyzone, not Futaba!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:02 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: sky_explorer

Well, there's no such switch on the controller. . . .
That's strange. The transmitter for the Flyzone Sky Pilot sold in the US has three switches, one to reverse the rudder, another to reverse the elevator, and the third to switch between conventional and V-tail. The problem you described sounds like you were using the V-tail mix rather than the one for the conventional tail. Reference - http://manuals.hobbico.com/hca/hcaa1...-manual-v2.pdf

Addendum: If your transmitter is not like the one described in the above manual and it has no external reversing and mixing switches, they may be internal. Take a look at the instructions that came with the transmitter. If there are no switches at all, then the chances are good someone sold you the wrong transmitter for that plane. To see if it has a V-tail set up, rotate plane 45 degrees and give it elevator. For a V-tail both the elevator and rudder will move upward and downward in unison as you move the elevator stick.

Allan
Old 10-14-2008, 02:04 PM
sky_explorer

Indeed, you are right...There is a 'mix' switch. Foolish of me not to notice earlier! I just thought this was for turning the motor on and off.

Thanks for your help