Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Any transmitters with durable plastic

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any transmitters with durable plastic

I have had problems with my transmitter breaking and wearing out plastic parts like knobs and gimbals. Which newer transmitters in 2.4GHZ have more durable plastic or metal parts for the frequent flyer. I have a older Futaba 9CH radio don't know if they are making them bettter now but that was one of the first 9CH's made so it's about 5-7 years old. The parts that have broken are the side slider nobs and the gimbal under the throttle stick. The other gimbal needs to be replaced - the stick turns inside the hole but it's not broken. I have heard that the fuel can wear the plastic down and a little is going to get on the transmitter you can't help that but I am carefull with the TX it shouldn't just fall apart like that.
Are JR , Spectrum any better. I wouldn't want to pay $1500 for a transmitter if that's the option. If it's around $500 that would work.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Any transmitters with durable plastic

Hi!
Same quality on all moderns transmitters!
The old JR 10X Transmitter case is made of metal though.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned many Futaba radios over the past 30 years in RC. My last Futaba radio was the 9CAP. I never had a problem with it as far as parts wearing out. My 8AUPS fell off the table and on to the floor and needed some Switches replaced. I sent it in and it was promptly repaired and returned.

I have a couple of JR XP9303 radios and they have held up just a well as the Futaba. One of the JR's fell on the floor and Turned a toggle switch, but did not break it, I have a JR 8103, as well, and it has never had a problem.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

All 9103's have a cast magnesium case. I reckon thats stronger than plastic.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:28 PM
pilotpete2

I don't think so.
No more magnesium then my Futaba 9C
Pete
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

I've owned JR 347, 783, 8103 and 9303. They all had plastic case. All of them have withstood wear and tear. At the end of the day, I've always wiped any model fuel that got on them off with a paper towel moistened with denatured alcohol. I avoid cleaning solutions as they contain salts as that could mess up the electronics. Deet in insect repellent will dissolve the plastic. The 12X has a magnesium case like the PCM 10X. It is noticeably heavier than the plastic case transmitters.

Allan
Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 PM
pilotpete2

Yup, you just have to treat them with a little respect to insure a long service life
pete
Old 10-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Basil Yousif

I might have got one made with a bad batch of plastic I'll replace the parts and see if any of the new parts break. I was looking at the new Futaba 10C looks nice but still lots of plastic. When a company comes out with a Transmitter constructed of lightweight metal parts that you can afford that radio will sell better than any. I don't see why they haven't come out with one yet or at least a case upgrade kit. It's probably that most modlers don't fly often enough to meed a radio that's so durable.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:35 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

If the transmitter was soaked in fuel by accident, it will cause the plastics to break up. Had that happen to my X347,The sticks gave way and bits came off the case.But that was the exception.Nowadays, the LCD display will give way before the plastics go.
All topend transmitters still use plastic gimbal housings unfortunately unlike the good ole days of proline.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Basil Yousif

I take good care of mine too. It probably has been sprayed with engine exhaust here and there but nothing major. Since it's knobs and a gimbal I would tend to think it's fuel still on the fingers that is gettting on the transmitter parts. I'll have to make a habbit of using a rag after starting the engine it's somthing you don't think about when the engine is running and your ready take the plane up. You would think for the hundreds of dollars these transmitters cost that they can at least make the plastic fuel proof.
That's why the throttle (left) gimble cracked first becase while starting I would adjust the throttle settings and the fuel would drip down the stick.