Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 9303 or JR 10X ??!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:05 PM
ldilauro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 9303 or JR 10X ??!!

Hi everyone !

I am thinking to upgrade my JR 7202 PCM and not sure what option should I take. I am analyzing betwen JR 9303 PCM or the 10X.
As far as I read I believe that 10X has more programming capabilities but I am not sure if I´m getting into an old technology comparing with the XP9303.

Could anywone advise or make some recomendations ?
I really appreciate your comments on this ... !
Thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2008, 07:43 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: JR 9303 or JR 10X ??!!

I have two XP9303 Tx's. One has the 72Mhz Synthesizer Module and one has the Spektrum 2.4 module. I can use either Tx on 72Mhz or 2.4, If I were going to buy new, I would either get the X9303 2.4 or the 12X 2.4. I believe the 10X is the older, non-2.4 technology.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:16 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

The 10x is no longer for sale. It has been replaced by the 12x. The 9303 probably has more programming features than 95% of all the users will ever get to. It has a few more than the 10x like twin engine mixing.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:02 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10X has lithium battery that needs replacing at service every so many years. 9303 does not.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 PM
tadawson

Unless you absolutely demand 2.4G built in and no ability to do anything else, the 10X is a fantastic radio with the best user interface that JR has ever built. None of the crappy little wheel BS, just a nice, big, touch screen. The memory battery is pretty much a triviality, since a TX should have a checkup every couple of years, and so should be in the shop anyhow, and the battery can be changed then about once every 5 years or so . . . .

The only downside I can see to the 10X is that is is either aircraft *OR* heli, not both . . . . I solve that problem by owning one of each, but your mileage may vary. The 12X looks nice, but I think the user interface is a drastic downgrade, and I am not a fan of 2.4 only systems, although Horizon finally woke up and decided to import the variant with interchangeable modules that is the standard for all other countries as well as the "locked in" unit they started out with (and that no other country got . . . . yet another apparent attempt by Horizon to fix a problem that didn't exist . . . . . ).

- Tim
Old 11-30-2008, 02:26 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right-on Tim
From another touch-screen fan.
Jim
PS
Maybe IF we wait long enough JR will come to their senses and offer a touch screen on their 12X.
Till then??? I will be happy with my JR10SX's
Jim
Old 11-30-2008, 04:45 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never been a fan of touch screens. The cursor controlled by the wheel is fine by me unless your fingers are very dry or callused. The principal reason I never bought a 10X is that it didn't have a dedicated sailplane program.

The 9303 will handle most applications as long as you don't have more than four servos on the wing. While you can use the mixes to gang more than one servo per wing surface, there is a problem with getting the trim to affect all of the servos as well as synchronizing the servos. If you use one servo for each aileron and one servo for each of the two flaps, there is no problem. As you can see for large aircraft that often have two servos on each aileron and each flap this could be a problem. I think the MatchBox was designed for this use. You can gang two rudder servos, two elevator servos, or two throttle servos and the trim will work right. Finally for very large and complex aircraft, nine channels may not be enough.

The 12X programming is much like the 9303. What the 12X does is to fill in some of the deficiencies of the 9303 when used for large and complex aircraft. You can gang two servos for each wing surface. There is a balance function so that ganged servos are not working against each other (provided you get the latest software that corrects a programming error). Navigating the 12X menus is similar to but quicker than the 9303. You don't have to scroll through all the options. You can jump down a row at a time. It has triple rather than dual rates. More expo curves. More mixes. There is more versatility in choosing your switches. Better graphic display. It has more flight mode in ACRO. And there are other niceties.

If you buy a 12X MV version, using it on the older frequencies has some pleasant surprises. There is a built-in frequency scanner. Your frequency is set by through the front wheel and not by a switch on back of the module. The frequency is kept in memory for each model even if you switch to 2.4 GHz. While this may be a feature of the 10X, you can program the transmitter without turning on the RF. One drawback of the MV is that its module pins are not as sturdy as those on previous JR modules.

Allan
Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 PM
ldilauro

I wanted to thank all of you for your comemnts and different point of views !
finally I bought the 10X for $300 bucks and I feel very happy with the Tx and all its features..
Thanks again and fly as much as you can !
Luis
Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 PM
masonman

9ZAP..WC2.................Real Radio
Old 12-15-2008, 09:34 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Unfortunately for me and many others, with the advent of the new radios we see prices of our 10X drop to $300. Still have mine, now on 2.4. Dennis
Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 AM
rmh

The 12 JR which will do modulesfor 72/etc., may appeal to some - however -if you look at ACTUAL sales of the 12X 2.4 only vs the changeable module version -you will likely se3 that 2.4 specific tx far outsell the other .
Scuttlebut I have is that the ratio is something like 98% of sales are 2.4 specific.
Feed back from hobby shops is that 72 capable tx sales is all but in rigor mortis.
Personally I could care less what freqs others prefer. Thankfully, I dumped ALL my non 2.4 - right after the DX7 hit the stores.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:46 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Dick you got that right. I haven't seen a request for 72 two stuff in almost 2 years now. I have either sent the stuff back or dumped it on e-bay. More then half of the local club have already made the move. The half that hasn't is buying up the old FM at rock bottom prices. give this another year or two and you won't be able to give away 72. Dennis
Old 12-15-2008, 01:47 PM
tadawson

The 12 JR which will do modulesfor 72/etc., may appeal to some - however -if you look at ACTUAL sales of the 12X 2.4 only vs the changeable module version
Of course, JR having brought out the modular variant much later than the dedicated unit has nothing to do with that, right ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

- Tim
Old 12-15-2008, 02:41 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: tadawson

The 12 JR which will do modulesfor 72/etc., may appeal to some - however -if you look at ACTUAL sales of the 12X 2.4 only vs the changeable module version
Of course, JR having brought out the modular variant much later than the dedicated unit has nothing to do with that, right ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

- Tim

Not when you consider that their introduction of the modular 12X was in response to repeated "requests" for something that would allow one Tx to transmit on both bands.

I really think that these folks were more after reassurances that 72MHz was viable for the future than anything else____but that is just a guess.

In my eyes it is not nor is six meters.

Like Dick, I sold out of both frequencies (HAM and 72) the week the DX7 was announced.
With two years of experience on 2.4GHz DX7/X9303 I can truthfully say that I never once looked back.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM
rmh

Not really-
Even the 9303 , a great tx in the non 2.4 version - is a relatively very slow seller.
If you want non 2.4 there are lots of new products available - you can shop the prices . I wil go further
Non Spektrum 2.4 is not selling like the Spektrum / jr2.4
Why?
The features offered by Spektrum are not available in other brands
All mfgr's 2.4 offerings allow one to use 2.4 and they all work- that is a given-
but - if you want a full variety of rx types and the ability to do Bind N Fly type stuff and features such as Model Match etc., you have no such choices.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:34 PM
tadawson

ORIGINAL: onewasp

Not when you consider that their introduction of the modular 12X was in response to repeated "requests" for something that would allow one Tx to transmit on both bands.
That's not an accurate statement either. If you had been following the development of the 12X, you would have noted that JR/Japan built *ONLY* the modular version initially, and it had been intended to support all countries. Horizon forced JR to create the 2.4 only version, for god only knows what reason, considering that it offers *ZERO* features that do not exist in the modular 12X. From what I have read, the 2.4 dedicated system, if you open it, is just the modular with the antenna lead routed internally, and a solid back - the module is still there, piggybacked onto the main circuit board just like any other radio.

But yes, if you are speaking of the import of the modular to the US, that is due to end users complaining about being locked into just 2.4, as opposed to supporting existing aircraft . . . . not sure how many folks are in that situation, but I imagine that the number of aircraft is rather large, and the number of individuals is rather small . . . a guy with two planes is not as likely to care as one with 10 or more . . . .

And based on that, I still find zero good technical reasons to get the modular system . . . the same connectors, etc. exist in both. Ultimately, it appears that the dedicated 12X was really a marketing decision, and in no way a technical one . . . .

- Tim
Old 12-15-2008, 09:37 PM
onewasp

The 72MHz 12X (v1) was declined by Horizon before the death of the leader of JR. (it was presented as JR's competitor for the 14MZ prior to any 2.4GHz full range system being made available and that was roughly one year [the largest part thereof] before the DX7 made it to market).

It became the modular option sometime AFTER the Spektrum introduction of the DX7 and initially was refused by Horizon.
They relented, it was being prepared for the rest of the world, and there _____ you may insert my previous post which happens to be correct.

In the interim software changes were also made to the 12X and all told roughly another year passed before the reworked 12X made it to market.

2.4GHz is not a legal RC frequency choice in Japan (at the moment) so their lack of interest initially is understandable.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 PM
victorzamora

What is the agreement between Horizon and JR? I'm actually quite interested in what's going on there.

Back to the original question though, I'm not sure what I would've done. They're both great radios! I'm a Futaba guy, but what really matters is that you're able to move the sticks and that the sticks move your plane. Congrats on your 10X and have fun flying the crap out of your planes with it!!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:46 PM
slarty

2.4 GHz IS legal in Japan but the DSSS version is limited to something like 10mW. Hence JR (in conjunction with Spektrum) releasing the DSMJ for their home market. This is a fully FHSS system and is allowed 100mW EIRP.

JR predominantly design and release for their own market and offer a system to each of the major distributors. Some are taken up, some aren't unless its reworked. ie the original PCM9X..... bought across the world except by Horizon.... this was reworked etc and released in the USA as the 9303. Within a month, it was available as the PCM9XII but with the typical Japanese layout.

JR released the PCM12X well before the 2.4 GHz version ( it was on 40 MHz and 72 MHz Japanese channels). Horizon requested some changes in the firmware and originally was only going to be a dedicated 2.4 GHz system. Due to a large outcry, Horizon changed their mind and decided to offer it as a modular system after the 2.4 GHz release.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:22 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: slarty

2.4 GHz IS legal in Japan but the DSSS version is limited to something like 10mW. Hence JR (in conjunction with Spektrum) releasing the DSMJ for their home market. This is a fully FHSS system and is allowed 100mW EIRP.

JR predominantly design and release for their own market and offer a system to each of the major distributors. Some are taken up, some aren't unless its reworked. ie the original PCM9X..... bought across the world except by Horizon.... this was reworked etc and released in the USA as the 9303. Within a month, it was available as the PCM9XII but with the typical Japanese layout.

JR released the PCM12X well before the 2.4 GHz version ( it was on 40 MHz and 72 MHz Japanese channels). Horizon requested some changes in the firmware and originally was only going to be a dedicated 2.4 GHz system. Due to a large outcry, Horizon changed their mind and decided to offer it as a modular system after the 2.4 GHz release.

the modular12 radio sells in "extremely low" numbers -relative to the native 2.4 in the USA
Old 12-17-2008, 08:00 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

The dedicated 12X was obviously a marketing decision.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:24 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: MikeL

The dedicated 12X was obviously a marketing decision.
of course- the 2.4 radios command almost all sales now.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:30 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Not so much that, as to drive receiver sales. Give people the option to slowly transition, and they might just do that. Horizon would rather that they did it now.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: MikeL

Not so much that, as to drive receiver sales. Give people the option to slowly transition, and they might just do that. Horizon would rather that they did it now.
Depends on ones viewpoint
Around here the switch to 2.4 was virtually overnight
High tech stuff sells well here .
Slowly transitioning from 72 does have some appeal for some but mainly those here who saw 2.4 and jumped on board have dumped the other stuff as soon as possible .
Sure, 72 still works but the overall convenience of 2.4 really caught on here.
I would venture -based on speaking with hobby shop and on line sales guys the 12 channel, in module configuration , sells at a ratio of LESS than 50 to 1.
The non 2.4 specific 9303 (not the X9303) also went thru a special pricing sale .
All of this, reflects the buying trend to 2.4 .
Old 12-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: tadawson

- Tim
The MV (module version) of the 12X was only 4 weeks behind the native 12X when Horizon started shipping them out...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.