Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

I got the exact same result. I can't get full travel out of the flap slider. I know the slider will only give 100% throw. If you have your flaps programmed to need anything over 100%, the slider will not do it.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 AM
theSteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me, or are we seeing trouble with our 10 channel beauty?
Has anyone else had trouble with the 7 channel Rx?

I bought one for my Easy Glider Pro...

Haven't finished it...

So, no testing as of yet.

Just wondering how the 7 channels do in general.

With Regards,

Douglas
Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Pippin

I would not say so.

If there are some issues during the RANGE CHECK these should be repeated under different conditions or at a different spot. Maybe one of the servos or the esc might have a fault. Anyway. If anything, I would do as any manual suggests, in a case of doubt send the Rx in. There is a warranty.

An antenna wire might be broken or a internal part damaged because of a previous crash.

But for me it sound like a faulty servo or esc in the plane. Let´s wait and see.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Pippin

Btw,

here is a short video from Nuernberg Toy Fair featuring the SD-5G:

http://www.airmix.de/modellbau-22313...ss.html&vt=flv

No news about the SD-6G though. I guess it was shown at another booth, maybe Ripmax. In Europe (UK, Germany, Austria and France) Sanwa/Airtronics is imported and marketed by different companies. At least Ripmax in UK does mention the SD-6G already.

I guess the brand managers would like to sell the SD-5G first - "in order to bait"
Old 03-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Garret H
My Feedback: (15)

I don't have any problems in my electrics using the FH1 receivers, even though I only get ~15 paces on range tests. I just flew my GWS Corsair for the first time yesterday with the RX60 park flyer RX; only got 10 paces on the range test, but everything was fine in the air...just like my other planes. Because of the massive range of this system, I am not worried!

Garret
Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

That new SD-6G is quite a bit nicer looking than the SD-5G. Considering that Airtronics was almost completely out of the air radio market a couple of years ago, I'm just excited to see them churning out so many new products!

That SD-5G will probably go on sale closer to $99.99 after it's been introduced. That SD-6G will be attractive in the $139.99 to $169.99 price range.

At least we know why Global/Hobby People is cutting back on promoting the RDS8000 at $149.99 now. It's too much radio for too little money! They have to creep the price back up to make room in the product lineup for the SD-5G and SD-6G.

I'm guessing that Global's air radio lineup will pretty much go as follows:

$59.99 - Hobby People Aero Sport 5
$99.99 - Airtronics SD-5G (I'm only guessing, but a price drop or sale once the SD-6G gets announced for NA makes sense)
$149.99 - Airtronics SD-6G (pure speculation on price)
$189.99 - RDS8000
$349.99 - SD-10G w/ 7-channel FHSS-1 receiver
$399.99 - SD-10G w/ 10-channel FHSS-3 receiver

It looks to me like there is plenty of room in the $200 to $275 price range for some kind of SD-8G to replace the RDS8000. Maybe something with a 20 model memory, 8 character model naming, and d/r and expo on the rudder for air mode.

After that, Sanwa can introduce the SD-12G at $599.99 and then hire a bunch of extra accountants to try to manage all of the money they'll be making!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Garret H
My Feedback: (15)

I volunteer my services for the testing of the 12G...

Garret
Old 03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: N131GD
I have my had my SD-10G for a few months and have flown a test airplane with it with good sucess. I need to find out how to program the rotary switch, upper outer left corner for the proportional flap control. I have studied the book several times through and have almost made it work right. I put the 3 position switch in the no 1 position and I got rapid travel to half down before touching the rotary then proportional control for the second half of travel. I then dialed out the upper half of the travel so it works but is not right. I only have half the servo power , travel and resolution. Can anyone help or direct me.

Thanks, Duane
Ok, the defaults for the flaps can be a bit confusing. It doesn't come set up like any of the other channels.

By default, in the Surface menu, Flaps are set to: N= 0, 1 = 50% and 2 =100% giving only half the range of the channel. To get the full use of the channel, reset N = 100% , 1 = 0% and 2 = 100% or out to 150% at each end if you prefer. I presume it's set this way since that's the only way the Flapperon mix will work correctly (although this limitation doesn't exist in the Glider menus).

Also by default, the Flaps are set to 2 different controls. Flap 1 is set to VR6 in the VR menu under Flight Mode. It is also set to sw 14 -15 in the SW menu under System. So, if the flap switch is in position 14, the VR controls where the flaps are set.

I find this all very confusing. Somebody out there must like it this way since it's a carry over from the Stylus and Vision. So one of the first things I do is reset the end points for the flaps in the Surface menu to the "normal" range for an aux channel and disable the assignment to the VR in the VR Assign menu. You could go the other way and turn off the switch assignments and leave it on the VR.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Pippin

Isn´t the VR6 assignment used to fine trim the flaps in operation?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose there are folks who want to trim their flaps. I don't. I want them to go to the same place every time using a switch.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
edulago

The sliders can do 100 percent travel.... You just need to configure it....
Old 03-20-2010, 06:35 PM
pault
My Feedback: (34)

bigedmustafa.......i like your future forecast and pricing for airtronics......i look forward to seeing the new radios from sanwa....i asked mike greenshields on the "global hobby fact forum" about the sd-6g....he said "once we have the 5 in stock and released, we'll discuss other radios, features, etc".....i have been a airtronics fan for 25 yrs.....i am glad they are under good leadership now.......it gives me something to look forward to in flying......if you have not visited the support forum for global...you need to...it is very informative and helpful......pault
Old 03-21-2010, 07:02 PM
DennisD

Hey Guys,

I've got a couple of questions for some of the Factory reps or Team Airtronics guys who might be lingering here.

I've just recently bought my 10-G and am wondering how critical antenna placement is.

In looking at the manual, it says to mount the receiver so that the 2 antenna wires can be placed 90 degrees from each other.

I've got a funny set up in my Dave Patrick Extra 330L, with the rudder servo near the front of the hatch compartment, just behind the fuel tank.

This of course is a pull-pull setup. The receiver is mounted on the right side of the fuse pointing forward.

The right antenna wire, if it goes straight ahead will end up with the bared end of the wire under the aluminum wing tube.

If I then put the left hand wire to the left of the fuse, it goes under the pull pull cables just behind the rudder servo.

What do You think? Will this work? Or do I have to rethink this whole thing?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Regards,

Dennis
Old 03-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Pippin

Pault,
Have you got any information about the new FHSS-3 Rx´s? I am looking forward to the 6ch. This one should break the "sound barrier" regarding latency.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: DennisD

Hey Guys,

I've got a couple of questions for some of the Factory reps or Team Airtronics guys who might be lingering here.

I've just recently bought my 10-G and am wondering how critical antenna placement is.

In looking at the manual, it says to mount the receiver so that the 2 antenna wires can be placed 90 degrees from each other.

I've got a funny set up in my Dave Patrick Extra 330L, with the rudder servo near the front of the hatch compartment, just behind the fuel tank.

This of course is a pull-pull setup. The receiver is mounted on the right side of the fuse pointing forward.

The right antenna wire, if it goes straight ahead will end up with the bared end of the wire under the aluminum wing tube.

If I then put the left hand wire to the left of the fuse, it goes under the pull pull cables just behind the rudder servo.

What do You think? Will this work? Or do I have to rethink this whole thing?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Regards,

Dennis
Don't forget that the 90* only refers to the bare end of the antenna wire, and they can be mounted vertically as well as horizontally (like one pointing 'up' taped to the side of your plane, the other pointing down the length of the fuse).
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Jetdesign

I am setting up the throws on another plane. I entered it as a 2 aileron wing, and when I go to set the throw for the right aileron, a letter N appears next to the throw %. It says 100% but the aileron only moves a small amount. I have no idea what this means.

Any thoughts??
Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

I think the 'N' refers to the switch setting of the flap channel next door (right) to the right aileron. Toggling the flap switch (14?) may make this go from 'N' to '1' to '2'.
If that 'N' is left of the right aileron column, you've somehow assigned a switch to the right aileron.
-Ron
Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Jetdesign

Thank you Ron. That was it.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 AM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

N refers to the Flight mode, N, 1, 2, etc.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Pippin

"N" like Neutral or in other words, Flight Mode 1.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Jetdesign

Yeah, I got all that. Didn't realize the both flight mode switch and the flap switch had the same flight mode designations.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 PM
N131GD

I reset everything per your instructions and ended up where I started. I wish to use the VR6 slider for the flaps so I don't have to feel around for the switch or lift my fat clubby hand from its position on the throttle. I am very new to scale flying and want to set things up for maximum confidence in myself. I may evolve to where it feels better with the top switch but for now I hope I can find out how to configure it for the VR6 only. I would like to totally nullify the 3 position switch for now if possible. That way I don't have to worry about its position.

I don't quite understand the function of VR6 as a flap trim unless its like throttle trim where it only sets the full down position. It seems to me that if it was used that way you have the possibility of moving the trim and losing the exact spot you want to maintain with the switch. It seems also that with the linkages and throws set up properly it will go to the same spot ( at full travel at least for landing ) every time. My full size RV-6A worked fine that way and all flap positions for landing were set manually, with the lever, by feel till you hit 100%. At takeoff I can eyeball a partial flap.

Right now in position 1 it has ample and full travel except it jumps to half travel ( when the switch is put in the 1 position ) then VR6 controls it the rest of the way to full down. For now I would like to have full travel proportional control with VR6.

Thanks , Duane
Old 04-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Elecfryer

Hi all! Ok, just got my 5th plane (3rd wing, Diamond Dust variation) in the air using my SD-10G. It flew rock solid where as before with a 9C on 72mHz I got hits all flight long (probably bad rcvr setup on my part). The response to the Xmtr is just quick as in RIGHT NOW, LUV IT! The SD-10G just rocks! All of my wings are Electric, I am using 7ch and 5ch FHSS-1 rcvrs. Also on this latest wing, I am using a 4S1P battery pack to power everything AND I am using a Phoenix 80 ESC with BEC function that is NOT MEANT to be run WITH the BEC function on 4 cells. So, I am pushing it however, not one glitch on the rcvr end and both ESC and motor coming down just warm.

Michael
Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 PM
MikeGreenshields

Duane

Call our 800 number and talk to Jack. He can help you with the setup you want. I will say that I use the flap on a switch because I only need 3 settings. Up, Take-off, and landing. So, I turn off the VR slider in the VR menu and I've re-assigned the flap to the rear right hand switch. This way the flasp are consistent every flight. And if the flap is too little or too much, I re-adjust them until I like them between flights.

And I do not use flight modes typically except on some of the very complicated planes, thus I just unassign the flight mode switches in the switch menu.

"For those customers with Airtronics technical and setup questions
Airtronics offers a toll-free help line.
You can reach an Airtronics expert at 1-800-262-1178 Monday through
Friday 12pm to 4pm Pacific Time."
Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM
theSteam

Hi Folks,
                  I am at a loss as to where to post my question. Since I have posted here before... and had good helpfull responces...

I bought an Easy Glider Pro. All servos came installed... I cannot for the life of me as a beginner with E-Flight, figure out how to mount the motor. So many parts, ZERO instruction. I searched this site top to bottom.

Where can I post my, "How do I assemble the motor" question to get a proper responce?

Thanks,

Douglas

P.S. New to forums as well as E-Flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.