Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Question about crystal compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
yodada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about crystal compatibility

Will a Hitec single conversion crystal work in any other brand of single conversion receiver? For example would a Hitec single conversion crystal work in a Corona single conversion receiver?

THANKS! for the help
yodada
Old 12-14-2008, 08:04 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question about crystal compatibility

Is it worth the risk for a $10 crystal?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

It's a bit controversial. Some brands will absolutely not work with other brands. I called GWS, and they said their Xtals are 'direct replacement' for Futaba crystals. Some third party companies 'guarantee' their xtals to work in whatever brand you choose. They'll replace the crystal, but not your plane. Many people say that there is too great of a risk that the frequencies won't be matched exactly, which could result in a failure that may not have been able to be detected.

So like BuschBarber said, it's not worth the risk for a $10 xtal.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:08 AM
k_caller
My Feedback: (1)

Look at it this way. The crystal may indeed work with your system- BUT.. what about interference on adjacent channels? One of our club members put a Futaba crystal in a Graupner (JR) radio and it did work but it also interfered on three other channels! Needless to say, he was informed to immediately shut down his system and get it right! It's not worth the risk!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:51 AM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

The only thing I've found that definitely works with a Corona receiver is a Corona crystal. I tried a couple Hitec crystals I had and the range check failed at about 10 feet each time. That is how you check, you know.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
MaineBear

Each radio manufacturer's crystals are ground to meet tolerances for their equipment's operaton . While some some crystal manufacturers claim their crystals will work in this or that radio, be aware that while their claims may be correct, their crystals may not (and probably don't) always fall within the complete frequency specs of the OEM radio - which could leave you open to outside interference(s).

Why take the risk? Use your OEM's radio crystals...
Old 12-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Different recievers use different circuits for their oscillators, some might be a Colpits, a Hartely or ???. The crystal grind (X, Y or ?) will create a different capacitance and mode of excitation. To be safe, use what your brand of receiver recommends. Crystals can have quite a variance in the way they are manufactured and mounted within their case.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:12 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subject well covered above and extensively at
Crystals - Compatibility between brands.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links