Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Base Loaded Whip RX antenna ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:47 PM
freeair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base Loaded Whip RX antenna ?

Guys, i just purchased a JR 10 chanell spcm receiver and its fitted with an aftermarket base loaded whip type aerial which i must say is a very neat unit. just wondering if you guys use these for planes as i know there quite common on heli,s, my main concern is range compared to the original full length wire aerial fitted to all stock FM receivers on the 36 meg band. thanks.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 AM
bfreee

Default RE: Base Loaded Whip RX antenna ?

im using one i got from a heli guy too, it works fine on my park flyer as far away as i care to fly it, say 1000ft. Good luck. mine was 72 mhz.

bruce
Old 01-06-2009, 02:23 AM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you mean a "jet" like antena???
i think that each antena have it's own length you need to cut from the original one

make u sure you do the right thing...double check your self prior flying!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:49 AM
freeair

guys, i found out the brand of this antenna; Quick U.K. is it good or no good ?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:05 AM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gooday
Quick U.K. is a well known HELI parts and accesories shop

cheers

Old 01-06-2009, 05:25 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out RC Cam's web site for some good info on what happens when you change the factory designated antenna length. In almost all cases you will lose range, almost always cut it in half or less. Fortunately, most of the users, modern receivers are good enough so that this loss of range is still okay for most users.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 AM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

I trust mine on my heli's.. but not my planes. I'm somewhat paranoid anyway
Old 01-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Skarn

I use a micro antenna on ALL of my RC aircraft heli's and planes. I have never had an issue and I tend to fly my planes as far out as I can see just about....

Skarn
Old 01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Check out RC Cam's web site for some good info on what happens when you change the factory designated antenna length. In almost all cases you will lose range, almost always cut it in half or less. Fortunately, most of the users, modern receivers are good enough so that this loss of range is still okay for most users.
That's what the "base load" on a base loaded antenna does, makes the base loaded antenna electronically the same length as the normal antenna. I've never experienced a loss of range with a base loaded whip.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A base loaded antenna loads the transmitter the same as a full length quarter wave antenna. Basicly it fools the transmitter into thinking it has a full lenght antenna. The answer to the question, "does it radiate as will as a full length antenna is NO. Can you tell the difference? That is up to the sensitivity of your receiver...and they are not all the same.

I have some that I have fooled with in front of a spectrum analyzer on my bench. Just looking at the signal strength of a transmitter with a loaded antenna on an IFR7500 I can see it is lower. I do know that there are some FCC rules in the USA about making changes to any part of the transmitter (including the antenna) but I don't think the FCC is going to send the police after you I never used one for flying because the full size antenna never bothered me.

Pete
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 AM
freeair

what i have gathered with this base loaded rx antenna is the total length from the rx to the antenna tip is 500mm and i know the original JR antenna wire is 1000mm, so the base loading must make up the other 500mm. when i set this up i will do a tx antenna down range check plus a tx antenna full up test and compare this with another JR radio set i have . my other slight concern is say if this rx antenna is mounted on the top of fuselage facing straight up , what could happen if say i do a knife edge with the models antenna facing away out of sight from the tx ?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The jet guys use them as well as the helo guys. Quick UK is TOP of the line. Install it and do a range check from all orientations and with the aircraft properly restrained with the engine running. If those checks are good, I wouldn't fuss about it.