Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Gungadin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

Sorry for the Troll post, just seemed like you were picking on a good Transmitter.
I am picking on expensive gear in general. I'd like to put my hands on an A9, I would. I wasted $375 (scratch and dent) on a 10C. Thought what a bargain.
It's OK. But I realized it was wasted money for my needs.
Are you saying that the 10C is more radio than you need? If you are then the A9 is probably also more than you need.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: Alex7403

nitro-pilot is writing about the radio not about other people.
And since you mentioned it I'm gonna read all his posts.
When did you read a bad review about anything in a paper RC magazines?

Be real and seek good!

Alex
Thanks.
Everyone is absolutely free to buy what turns them on. It's a hobby!

I already got "sold" more than I needed with the 10C. Just thought some would want to know after the sale you regret the expense sometimes.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Sold all of my Spektrum stuff on EBay, DX-7 3 receivers, etc... ordered the new A9 a couple of weeks ago, Tower showed Mid-Dec, now Tower is showing late January...darn, really wanted to get this rig! But for $369.00 using the Super Saver Club $60.00 coupon, I can wait...guess I'll have to charge up the old Hitec Eclipse, she only has about 20 flights on her, that should do me until the A9 arrives. Hellooo...72 Mhz...Argh...!! [:@]
Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

You can get a start on 2.4 and convert your Eclipse here so you'll be ready when the Aurora arrives.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXCZ0&P=ML

Mike.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Gungadin

Nirto-Pilot-Now I think I understand where you are coming from. Yeah, a lot of radio's have more than I need, and it is true that I'll never use some of the features. Some of the reason is because I may not fully understand what they can do and why I would want to do it. But I would rather have more capability and slowly learn how to use it, than NOT have the capability and find I need it or would like to have it. This A9 has more than I will probably need, but it has features that I am already used to using plus some that I will be learning to apply to a couple of my airplanes. So for me it looks like the best bang for the buck. Just my .02 cents.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 PM
rambler53

I started out with a 4 channel Futaba radio. Right away before I was even landing guys were telling me I need a radio with dual rates. I bought a used 7U radio and found the tiny 1" screen hard to see, hard to program until I got the hang of it, and then didn't like the weight. I got a 6X and kept it for about a year. I watched guys with the 7 Eclipse and wanted a bigger screen. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXCZ0&P=ML Can't do this, I sold it. I didn't like the programming. I looked at a wave of buyers at our club then jump to the 7C, and then they jumped to the DX7, being the newest radio with 2.4 at the time. The hobby shop guys were there and crashing heli's on the DX7, losing binding. Scared me good. I read many threads here on it, figured I'd sit back and play it safe. I bought a 9C radio, kept it for 3-4 years, and loved it. I recently sold it here on RCU and bought the 10C, only because it was on scratch and dent for $375, and at the regular price, I figured I finally got more radio than I needed. It's both 72Mhz with the synthesized module or 2.4 with another module. I like it. It was a smooth transition from the 9C.
I have a JR7202 new in box I never did get used to using in the house, so it's never been to the field. It was nearly impossible for me to figure out being so Futaba oriented to set up flaperons with the JR. Expo is + value, Futaba is - value. It can get you into trouble if you aren't watching the surfaces. I've wiped out a plane forgetting to change models and my ailerons were reversed. The 9303 prevents that. I almost did another change over just for that, and throttle cut, something I missed from the Eclipse 7.
The 10C has been to the field twice and it's been around here for about a year.
I just use a 5U with synthesized module, and a 6X to train people with. If I could walk into a hobby shop and pick up and hold an Aurora 9, touch the screen and see actually if the programming is easy, I would be singing another tune.
I never saw a radio before on such short supply. I don't think it's from high demand. Times are hard on most of us these days. $420-450 is a lot of money when the prices keep going up on everything else in life.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:12 PM
zero244

Nitro-Pilot: When I said the A9 looks great, I wasn't really thinking about the physical appearance. I should of phrased it different. I was referring to the overall package.
For a radio in this price range.......I think Hitec has pushed the envelope by offering features not offered in most systems at any price point.
By doing so they should be given consideration and a chance.
Ive never owned a Hitec radio before.......they have been in this business a long time and have produced good quality Rx's and servo's etc which I have used.
I figure JR and Futaba will come right back with touch screens and telemetry.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

You can get a start on 2.4 and convert your Eclipse here so you'll be ready when the Aurora arrives.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I just ordered the Spectra Module and the 2 receivers, used a $20.00 Tower Super Saver coupon, $109.00 with free shipping, heck that's a good deal for just 2 receivers, and a free Spectra module..!!

Will I need to do anything to my Eclipse's Software wise...???
Old 12-20-2009, 09:18 PM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: zero244

Nitro-Pilot: When I said the A9 looks great, I wasn't really thinking about the physical appearance. I was referring to the overall package.

I figure JR and Futaba will come right back with touch screens and telemetry.

That makes sense. The 8FG though probably was designed in answer to the A9, having some ipod wheel instead of the dial a key. I had a 10X briefly I picked up at a swap meet, traded it out fast. It had a touch screen. I had a 9ZAP, it had ball bearing sticks. I thought it was pretty cool having a tach built in. But both were not really very easy to program, and again, the programming was more than I needed.
By summer the A9 may be available in supply here, enough to actually see what it's all about. I just bought a li-po for my 10C. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6955&Product_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_2500mAh_Transmitter_P ack_(Futaba/JR) Not a bad upgrade.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Gungadin

Nitro-Pilot-I know what you mean about the ease of programming on your old 9C. I flew one for 5 yrs. Easy radio to set up. The 10C is just as easy as you will probably agree. So why don't you stick with the 10C ? As I said if it is more than you need, and you say it is. Then the A9 is also more than you need. Sounds like you don't need to buy a new radio as the 10C is pretty capable and is familiar to your older 9C. Hopefully there will be no teething troubles with this A9, but if there is, you will avoid any problems.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 PM
rambler53

Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 PM
MikeMayberry

Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 PM
rambler53

Thanks for removing your post Mike.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:33 PM
firehopper

the a9 has 8 flight modes.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:34 PM
rambler53

There is a video where the guy slips past the middle switch position on flight mode. Hopefully he didn't set SPIN on the bottom switch position on final approach. Messy.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:36 PM
MikeMayberry

Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 PM
rambler53

Old 12-20-2009, 11:19 PM
MikeMayberry

Old 12-20-2009, 11:21 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I just ordered the Spectra Module and the 2 receivers, used a $20.00 Tower Super Saver coupon, $109.00 with free shipping, heck that's a good deal for just 2 receivers, and a free Spectra module..!!

Will I need to do anything to my Eclipse's Software wise...???
Nope... Plug and play!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:19 AM
avronaut

Some more inputs from this "nitro-pilot" and I will buy a third Aurora 9

Old 12-21-2009, 07:07 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

MikeMayberry,

Why does the 9 channel receiver have 2 antennas, and the 7channel receiver only have one?

Greg
Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 AM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

No matter how High End a radio is, you still have to move the sticks to keep the aircraft in the air. It is not like an Auto Pilot is built into the Tx. You are not going to make a Competition Aerobatic Pilot out of a Novice just be handing him a properly programmed High End radio.
[X(]

I'm not alone in this line of reasoning, so remember any radio takes time to get used to it, learn it's programming, and have limitations.
I don't have an agenda like salespeople do.
Buschbarber said it best.

Now buy your 4th A9 backordered radio? You got more money than me!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:45 AM
RR24

[quote]ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot

I'm making a point that it seems MOST features will never be used in this A9 radio, so why blow $429?

nitro-pilot,
I understand your making a point. Here is my point, personally for me: I want to upgrade to 2.4, so why not go with this radio? We all know that the rx's will be cheaper than the other brands, so this makes the most since to me in the 2.4 world. I am not buying it for the bell's and switche's, I am buying because I know in the long run it will be cheaper for me with the cheaper rx's. I also dont run out and buy the lastest radio or other gadget i have had 1 computer radio, and still do, and that is the JR7202 which i like very well. Like I said I understand your point, but that point is not the same for everybody.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot

There is a video where the guy slips past the middle switch position on flight mode. Hopefully he didn't set SPIN on the bottom switch position on final approach. Messy.
I remember hearing this same argument during the transition from horses to the horseless carriage. Keep your buggy whips cause horses are coming back as soon as folks realize that things like AC, heaters, GPS, satellite radio and CD players are just gimmicks that you don't need.

Howard
Old 12-21-2009, 09:05 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started flying RC in 1978 after 20 years of building and flying Control Line planes. I bought a Futaba 6ch system with no End Points, no Servo Reversing, no Mixing, etc, because they did not have those features at that time. As radio systems evolved, I went through a number of different Futaba radios. My first Computer radio was the T6XA. I do not remember the year. Computer radios are Cool. I moved to the 7AUPS, 8AUPS, and 9CAP. Each time, I made the move because of the need for more Programming and/or more channels. I received a JR XP8103 with an aircraft I bought and I ultimately bought a JR XP9303 because it had features like Flaps on a Switch and Flight Modes. It also supported 9 proportional channels in either PCM or PPM. When the Spektrum Module came out and I could get 9 channels on 2.4, I was anxious to move away from 72Mhz and stay on 2.4. As much as I like the 9303, it was tough to program, at times.

The Hitec A9 looks very attractive in terms of features and programming.

One annoying thing I noticed over the years, especially with Computer radios, is that it takes weeks to understand it's Strengths and Weaknesses. You can read the manual and play with the programming at the LHS or Trade Show, but you can never really know if it entirely meets your needs until weeks after you buy it.

They always seem to leave a feature out of the Lower End model, forcing you to buy the next Higher End model to get that one feature and ending up with dozens of other features that you won't be using for some time. Most Computer radios come with multiple Programmable Mixers that, in Combination, can add the extra feature you are looking for. Don EdBerg used to publish a series of books on Futaba Computer Radios that presented numerous scenarios and how to use Multiple Programmable Mixers to solve the problem. I would have never guessed how to do some of those things without those books. No one else really makes manuals like that anymore.

RCU is the place to ask those questions and get the answers. Sometimes the manufacturers support line helps, but not always.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.