Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

using airtronics servos with futaba rx

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:00 AM
graggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using airtronics servos with futaba rx

I have a plane with airtronics 94120 servos in it and I would like to put a 2.4gh futaba reciever in it. The wires on the servo has the positive wire on the outside of the connector and the negative on the inside. Can I change the connector on the servo with a futaba connector and change the wiring? will the servo work on futaba gear? and is there an adapter to do this? thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: using airtronics servos with futaba rx

The servos you have must be very old as Airtronics changed over to the more common way with the positive lead in the center pin of the connector. I have successfully just interchanged the center and ground leads on the old Airtronics servos and used them in other brand receivers. You may also have to grind down the width of the old Airtronic connectors to in order to get them to mechanically fit into the more modern receiver connectors. If you connect the power to the servos backward, it will burn them up (lets all that magic smoke out). It has been awhile since I did this but I think the interchange was fairly simple, just use a small pin to lift the locking tab on each connector pin, pull the pin out of the housing and reinsert it into the proper slot. At one time you could also purchase a short jumper that had the wires reversed to make the old Airtronics compatible with other brand receivers.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:39 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: using airtronics servos with futaba rx

You can still get adapters from Maxx Products, but I wouldn't bother with adapters, more connections to get flaky.
If you rewire the connectors the plugs themselves will be a pain to make fit, as Rodney mentioned.
You could splice in a new servo lead, or as I have done in the past, solder a new servo lead right to the circuit board inside the servo, all depends on your comfort level with that kind of soldering.
Good luck,
Pete