Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba Skysport T6YG Range check problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Sourkraut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba Skysport T6YG Range check problems

Hi guys... I picked the Skysport T6YG 6 ch up off a fellow to use on my Sunday flier because it has dual rates. I was using a Skysport T4YBF on this particular airplane before with no problems.
I took the plane and 6ch TX out to the airstrip did a preflight check, forgot to range check and it cost me a plane. I wasn't quite sure at the time what caused the crash, but when I got home I started the autopsy.
Everything appeared OK so I did a range check, and low and behold, with the antennae collapsed I can only get a few feet away before the servos go wild. When I turn the TX around all of a sudden it will lose all response until it is pointed back towards the plane. I pulled the TX crystal and tried it in my old Skysport 4ch TX, and with the antennae collapsed I can get 100ft with full servo control, twisting and turning the TX all the way. I even swapped antennaes back and forth, took the back off the 6ch Skysport and all seems OK.

My question is.... what could possibly be wrong with the 6 ch Skysport and is it even worth doing anything with!! Should I just chaulk this one up to the "pay more life tuition" category, junk the TX and just move on??

Cheers and thanks
Curt

Old 04-12-2009, 03:12 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba Skysport T6YG Range check problems

If you have another Rx you should try that. Make sure that your batteries are charged and that the antenna is screwed in tight. Check the circuit board, inside the Tx to see if there are any cracks across the circuit to the antenna. I had a Futaba 8AUPS that I was flying with. It was fairly new. Suddenly, I was getting only 10ft of range. I found that inside the Tx, the circuit board that the Antenna, Battery, and Trainer Port were connected to had a crack across the Antenna leads. A friend of mine, at an electronics company, resoldered the circuit and it has worked fine ever since.

If you have to, send it back to Futaba.

In my case, the Tx had an RF Module that was removable. The entire RF section of the Tx was replaceable with RF Modules on other frequencies. You Tx has a crystal. If you replace the crystal with the same kind, that might solve the problem.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Sourkraut

I have the batteries fully charged and tried the TX with 3 other planes with differant RXs and still the same result.

When I am standing approx 5 feet away from a plane with the antennae collapsed, I start to rotate the TX away from the RX and all signal is lost and when I rotate back towards the RX I regain signal but the servos flutter quite a bit. I have tried the same scenario with my 4ch Skysport with the same TX crystal and all is well.

I have two TX crystals, CH 41 and 50, tried them both with exactly the same result.

I will have to have a close look at the solder joints inside but if I have to send it to Futaba the TX is probably not worth it.

Curt
Old 04-12-2009, 04:01 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can't find an obvious cause at least call Hobby Services and see what the Charge and Shipping would be.

You did not mention whether or not you tried changing the crystal? I do not remember if a crystal is either On or Off - It either works or it doesn't. It may not have any bearing on Reduced Range.
Sometimes crystals can be loose. Try removing it and replacing it again.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Sourkraut

I have removed and reinstalled the crystal numerous times and also tried a differant crystal also. I still get the same scetchy result with the Skysport 6ch and a perfect result with the Skysport 4ch.

Curt
Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
You should get a range of 100 m with the antenna fully collapsed.
Are you sure the transmitter batteries are OK?? That every battery cell is OK??? A NiMH battery that is OK should deliver 11,1-11.6v fully charged.
You know that you must/ought charge with a slow charger (Wall charger) do you?!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Sourkraut

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
You should get a range of 100 m with the antenna fully collapsed.
Are you sure the transmitter batteries are OK?? That every battery cell is OK??? A NiMH battery that is OK should deliver 11,1-11.6v fully charged.
You know that you must/ought charge with a slow charger (Wall charger) do you?!

100metres... I thought the normal was about 100 feet collapsed is good to go. Batteries are good and always charged with a wall wart.