Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Difference between 3 & 5 pole motors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between 3 & 5 pole motors?

I was just curious what the advantages are overing having a 5 pole motor in a servo over a 3 pole motor?

Thanks for the help ,
Brian
Old 06-18-2003, 08:11 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

5 pole motor has more "steps" in one revolution. This generally means a 5 pole motor runs smoother and can more accurately hold a static position compared to a 3 pole motor.

With respect to servos, you can't really judge the smoothness or precision by what motor is used because other factors come into play, such as pot accuracy, deadband, gearlash, etc. However, it has been my experience that the manufacturer will use a better motor in it's better performing servos, i.e. servo with a coreless motor will probably perform better than a servo with a 3-pole motor.

I think there was a lengthy discussion of motors with respect to servos a few months ago. You might try a search.

Cheers.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by MonkeyBoy
5 pole motor has more "steps" in one revolution. This generally means a 5 pole motor runs smoother and can more accurately hold a static position compared to a 3 pole motor.

With respect to servos, you can't really judge the smoothness or precision by what motor is used because other factors come into play, such as pot accuracy, deadband, gearlash, etc. ...

I think there was a lengthy discussion of motors with respect to servos a few months ago. You might try a search.

Cheers.
Okay, I will make sure to search for that thread. Thanks for the help.

This may not go along with the subject of the thread, but how can I find out a servo's deadband and/or pot accuracy? I'll make sure to do a search on those key terms also. I figure since it came up, I just might as well ask how I can find out which servos have all the right qualities. <--- If that servo even exists

-Brian
Old 06-18-2003, 08:28 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Try this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ss+3pole+5pole]