Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

72 MHz systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Thisstrangeengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 MHz systems

Hi all,
I've been away from the hobby for a couple years now until I joined RCU and have been seeing alot of ads about the 2.4GHz systems. Is this going to make my old 72MHz equipment obsolete or are these just newer, better and faster? I hate to have to upgrade AGAIN!!! I still have a pre-narrowband Futaba from the mid 80's but can't use. Still work just fine but the clubs won't allow it.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:39 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 72 MHz systems

it's starting to look like 72's are on their way out, JR is only selling two radios in the 72mhz, a 9 and 10 channel, Futaba still selling 6 and 7ch 72mhz, but no definite answer yet on the future of 72mhz
Old 06-27-2009, 09:01 PM
jcccc

ORIGINAL: Thisstrangeengine

Hi all,
I've been away from the hobby for a couple years now until I joined RCU and have been seeing alot of ads about the 2.4GHz systems. Is this going to make my old 72MHz equipment obsolete or are these just newer, better and faster? I hate to have to upgrade AGAIN!!! I still have a pre-narrowband Futaba from the mid 80's but can't use. Still work just fine but the clubs won't allow it.

This-

If the only radio equipment you have is your pre-narrowband 72mhz stuff, then yes you will have to up grade. Your pre-narrowband equipment is not only obsolete but also, as you hint in your post, illegal to use. Narrow band 72Mhz radios are still in use. 2.4ghz radios have become very popular, but there is still plenty of modelers using 72mhz radios.

If you don't have any narrowband radios, and a good number of narrowband receivers, I'd say to 'upgrade' to 2.4Ghz. Just one caution about 2.4-you will only be able to use receivers of the maker of your Transmitterfutaba rx and tx only....JR/Spektrum tx and rx only and so on(an exception to this is DSM2 Bind N' Fly,E-Flite, JR/Spektrum). Just be very careful when choosing your 2.4 radio, because you will have limited choice of Rxs and at a higher price.

72mhz will be in use for many years to come, IMO. It is still legal(1991 narrowband)and still in use.
There's still many synthesized, inexpensive Rx's being manufactured for us old 72mhz holdouts. There's alot of good used 72mhz RX and TX out there.

Welcome back to the Hobby. Good luck.

jc

Old 06-27-2009, 10:39 PM
tgeorge

You have several AMA chartered clubs in your area (20 within 25 miles)!
The club in Mertztown has a ama certified instructor.
You might search for AMA CHARTERED CLUBS in your browser (search engine).
You can also upgrade your "antique" 72mhz equipment to GOLD STICKER status:
Contact RADIO SOUTH,
PENSACOLA , FL and BRUNSWICK, GA.
Tony G
Old 06-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Thisstrangeengine

Thanks for the replies, Much appreciated. Most of my stuff IS narrowband 72MHz, I just have 1 that is pre-gold stickered. (my first radio...) Good ole Futaba still works.
I hate to have to buy new stuff just to get back into flying. I will replace most or all flight packs if I decide to fly again.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Thisstrangeengine

Thanks TGeorge, I was a member of the Valley Forge signal seekers from 1988 until about 1995. Then I moved to the Spring Hollow Club but I've just been busy with other things the past few years and not really doing anything at all in the Hobby. New home, wife, baby etc.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:30 AM
tadawson

ORIGINAL: rgm762

it's starting to look like 72's are on their way out, JR is only selling two radios in the 72mhz, a 9 and 10 channel, Futaba still selling 6 and 7ch 72mhz, but no definite answer yet on the future of 72mhz
Hmm . . . . I guess you missed the continued availability of the 14MZ on 72MHz and the JR 12X-MV on 72MHz as well, along with the new Hitec Aurora that is, you guessed it, available on 72 . . . . . . .

Not sure where you get your information from, but it appears to be very much in error . . . .

- Tim
Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Currently have both 72 and 2.4 systems. 72 I agree will be here for some time to come. As long as every one uses the board all should be fine.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Thisstrangeengine

I hate to have to buy new stuff just to get back into flying.
Unlike the Narrowband shift, the 2.4 is voluntary and just a new development in technology. The narrowband was a requirement if I recall correctly. It had a drop dead date attached to the change. We have not seen that type of "movement" in the 2.4 "sector".

So, if you feel confident on your 72mHz equipment, go ahead and use it.

Rafael
Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Mr. Mugen

Since most of our club members went 2.4 I ended up buying a 12fg in 72mhz. I love it and won't change til I have to. I do own 3 2.4 systems too but mostly use the 72mhz. I only use the 2.4's on my foamies and my proto type wings. Some day I will trust 2.4 enough to use in my big stuff. Until then 72 all the way.

Kevin
Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There seem to be a great many opinions about 2.4 versus 72mhz. I just bought a module to go to 2.4. IMO there is just too much upside to 2.4. If all I did was fly on Sundays at my club field maybe I could justify staying with it, but when you fly in large events and have to deal with impounding your TX that in itself is worth switching. The other issue is I fly large, scale airplanes with much time invilved in adding details. I do not want to lose one because a newbie shoots me down from turning on my frequency.
The RX's available now are very reasonably priced and you do not have to by a $12.00 crystal. The small RX antennas are a blessing as it was always such a pain routing the old long ones. It is also nice having a short TX antenna when Pylon racing.
Like I said the upside to 2.4 is just too much and I love it. The only reason not to upragde is if you area sunday flyer and are content with your existing equipment. If you are in the market for new stuff, I think you would be crazy not to get 2.4.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM
jcccc

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

The RX's available now are very reasonably priced and you do not have to by a $12.00 crystal.

There' a lot of 72Mhz Rx's on the market that don't require a crystal at all and for $25 and less.

JC

Old 06-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2.4 is a great new technology - it's just that I'm a little cautious about upgrading to a fledgling tech so soon in the game. I have seen a few 2.4 controlled planes go in for "mysterious" reasons. That being said, I fly with a 9C on 72mhz, so I could upgrade to 2.4 with just a module change.

72mhz will be around until the gov. decides to yank the frequencies from the hobby. I remember when dual conversion, PCM and for a large part, FM, were new to the scene. FM was just a huge improvement over the AM systems and dual conversion was almost like having a direct cord link to your plane. PCM was supposed to obsolete every other system available, but it didn't catch on as hoped due to the high price point set by the manufacturers. Obviously, they did not make that mistake twice, as 2.4 is fairly reasonable - mostly thanks to our East Asian friends who work for next to nothing.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Thisstrangeengine

I feel alot better after all the replies, since I have about 8 systems. At least I can still use them for a while. Some were purchased new and others came w/planes I bought from club members. I never felt any loss of control or had a bad mishap with ANY of them so I have alot of confidence in them.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Radio South can upgrade old radios to 2.4 GHZ if you are in love with with your old wide band radios
Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 AM
vertical grimmace

There is no doubt the 72 mhz stuff will be coming down in price. Mainly because 2.4 will become more prevelant. Not sure if it is true (my local hobby store is very often wrong) but the Local Hobby clown has told me that Futaba is discontinuing it's 72 mhz equipment. No one has said when though.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 AM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: Hemikiller

2.4 is a great new technology - it's just that I'm a little cautious about upgrading to a fledgling tech so soon in the game. I have seen a few 2.4 controlled planes go in for ''mysterious'' reasons. That being said, I fly with a 9C on 72mhz, so I could upgrade to 2.4 with just a module change.

72mhz will be around until the gov. decides to yank the frequencies from the hobby. I remember when dual conversion, PCM and for a large part, FM, were new to the scene. FM was just a huge improvement over the AM systems and dual conversion was almost like having a direct cord link to your plane. PCM was supposed to obsolete every other system available, but it didn't catch on as hoped due to the high price point set by the manufacturers. Obviously, they did not make that mistake twice, as 2.4 is fairly reasonable - mostly thanks to our East Asian friends who work for next to nothing.

I have a question for you.

As I have been flying this "fledgling technology" since 2006 (Spektrum DSM2) and have not had one single negative incident of any kind, (nor have I even witnessed one by the others) when does it become "tried and true technology" which is what I consider it to be?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM
victorzamora

Normally, when they finally buy a 2.4GHz system and fall in love with it. Until then...most people are skeptical.

I bought into 2.4GHz when I only had 3 Rx's and BOY am I glad I did then....and I'm glad I did in general.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

In the amount of time you've been flying 2.4 how many 72 MHz issues have you witnessed?
Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lazer

In the amount of time you've been flying 2.4 how many 72 MHz issues have you witnessed?
In about 20 years of flying, do you really want me to go there? From un-explained glitches to crystals falling off to a distracted pilot turning on his radio without checking the frequency board.

On the other hand, in the lifetime of the 2.4 systems I have not witnessed any of the above mentioned problems with the new technology. They don't exist on 2.4. Just like Mac and PC's when it comes to computers. The only problems I have heard of, are installation problems when the pilot uses a battery pack that is not suitable for the type of flying or the system's electrical load.

Don't take me wrong, I still use 72mHz, but slowly converting my fleet to 2.4. There is no reason not to convert.

Rafael
Old 07-01-2009, 01:23 PM
vertical grimmace

If 2.4 was not viable, the AMA would not alow it to be used. Especially in competition with very high performance aircraft. Also, we recently had a Jet rally at our flying field and not ONE jet (turbine)was on 72 mhz.
Now I have not had hardly any issues on 72 mhz that I cannot trace back to myself, this in over 25 years. Where 2.4 really shines is not having to deal with impounds, small RX antennas and the ease of mounting the very small RX's. It is just a more practical modern system. I love it.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:48 PM
helicrazedout

i have to agree that 2.4ghz is the way of the future i have been using my dx7 (dsm2) transmitter for almost a year and have had not one problem but perfect flying control! also i went to a rc air show the other day and out of about 50 piolets only 1 used a 72mhz systeam rest all 2.4
Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: Lazer

Now you should know that the number of times "I was hit!" are uttered vs. the number of times that a radio actually was interfered with are two totally different numbers.

Also I went to 2.4GHz Spektrum, DSM2 from the HAM band.
I also had 72 MHz synthesized modules and Rx's which I selectively used following some verified six meter interference (personal, hands on experience).

Our fields (yes plural) have some issues on 72MHz. It is not the total band.
Frankly, we don't have a lot of 72 MHz left.
All of the Hams immediately went Spektrum DSM2, though we have one HAM operator who occasionally flies on six, he has also has purchased Spektrum DSM2.

I sold all of my radio gear immediately following the Spektrum announcement ( JR-10X).
I have NEVER once looked back.
I started in RC with a ground based Tx and super Regen. Rx. A Bramco five.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
victorzamora

Where I used to fly, any frequency above 50 got constant interference. Around certain areas, frequencies below 25 the right wing would drop (we all flew Futaba and had our right wings on Channel 6 as a convention). I've seen 6 planes be shot down. At our flying field at college, we have an area that ALL 72MHz channels glitch...but I've flown 3 different FASST planes through it on purpose to see if I got any hits, and nothing.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: onewasp

I have a question for you.

As I have been flying this ''fledgling technology'' since 2006 (Spektrum DSM2) and have not had one single negative incident of any kind, (nor have I even witnessed one by the others) when does it become ''tried and true technology'' which is what I consider it to be?
I've been in the hobby for over 20 years, so a tech that is three years in the making is still "fledgling" to me - especially considering the recent recalls of 2.4 equipment. Besides, I'm not one to be an early adopter, I'll let the guys who always have to have the latest and greatest flesh the technology out. My 9C on 72mhz is perfect for my needs. As for when I consider it "tried and true" - that will be the day I purchase a 2.4 setup.

Latest incident of 2.4 issues - club member lost his GS TF P-51 - plane just stopped responding, full bore down into the cornfield adjacent to our flying site - total loss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.