Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

why is 2.4ghz so good

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:49 AM
crzsteveo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is 2.4ghz so good

my question is why is 2.4ghz so good? whats the difference between a 75mhz and a 27mhz radio?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:03 AM
redfox435cat

Default RE: why is 2.4ghz so good

27 mhz has tones of interference because there is little restriction on it and can be used for everything from cb to junk rc.

75mhz is designated land use.

2.4 ghz isn't really better, actually the frequency is garbage, the wave length and power output has next to no material penetration so you have to use multiple antenna and even multiple external signal amps in some systems because the signal only penetrates the model so far. the technology incorporated into this band makes it more convenient, no crystal to buy or worry about having your plane shot down by someone on the same frequency.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well all of the above is true, but I'd say there is another distinct advantage; speed.... [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

The control response of the model is so much faster and you have a much more "connected" feel with the model due to the speed at which the data is sent from the tx to the rx.

I sometimes tell people it's a bit like comparing the difference in Internet access speeds between a dialup modem and broadband... lol
Old 07-02-2009, 04:52 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: redfox435cat

27 mhz has tones of interference because there is little restriction on it and can be used for everything from cb to junk rc.

75mhz is designated land use.

2.4 ghz isn't really better, actually the frequency is garbage, the wave length and power output has next to no material penetration so you have to use multiple antenna and even multiple external signal amps in some systems because the signal only penetrates the model so far. the technology incorporated into this band makes it more convenient, no crystal to buy or worry about having your plane shot down by someone on the same frequency.

Long live the garbage! -I wish we had had it 20 years ago.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I must admit, I too fell into the I don't need 2.4 club until I experienced it. The connected feeling is absolute and the protection it offers is encouraging.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:18 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No impounding transmitter at large events, Small antenna, no crystals, no shootdowns, easier to compile a matrix at racing events, no waiting for your pin at the club field, piece of mind from shootdowns with large expensive models.
The upside is so large I find it difficult to lend any creedance to the nay-sayers. It is the most wonderful thing to happen with radios since digital proportion.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 AM
freeair

yes , forget the am radio, only use fm / pcm or even better use 2.4 gig . this is the way the ladder climbs.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:38 PM
tadawson

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

No impounding transmitter at large events, Small antenna, no crystals, no shootdowns, easier to compile a matrix at racing events, no waiting for your pin at the club field, piece of mind from shootdowns with large expensive models.
The upside is so large I find it difficult to lend any creedance to the nay-sayers. It is the most wonderful thing to happen with radios since digital proportion.
Hmm, comparing to my Multiplex Evo . . . .

No crystals there either.

The TX will not go on air if the channel is occupied, so I can't shoot anyone else down. (Now, if just everyone would fly Multiplex, the worlds would be good!). Not quite the same level of protection, but had 72 gone to onboard scanners/channel busy detectors as had Multiplex, no shootdowns there either.

So, looks like the only clear "win" in your statement is no need to wait for the pin/impound . . . . the rest are not unique to 2.4 . . .

- Tim
Old 07-03-2009, 07:36 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: tadawson

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Hmm, comparing to my Multiplex Evo . . . .

No crystals there either.

The TX will not go on air if the channel is occupied, so I can't shoot anyone else down. (Now, if just everyone would fly Multiplex, the worlds would be good!). Not quite the same level of protection, but had 72 gone to onboard scanners/channel busy detectors as had Multiplex, no shootdowns there either.

So, looks like the only clear ''win'' in your statement is no need to wait for the pin/impound . . . . the rest are not unique to 2.4 . . .

- Tim
Except, hardly anybody flies that radio! especially the newbies who are the biggest threat. 2.4 is also faster an soon we will have telemetry as well. 72 could not do that.