Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dumb about digital trims, 9C

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 11:56 PM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb about digital trims, 9C

I am setting up throttle linkage with my Futaba 9C, and this is the first radio I have ever had with digital trims. I have a grip on how the idle-down and thr-cut features work, but what should the default position of the throttle trim be when you go to start?
Does this sound like the proper steps to set it up?

1. Set the trim tab to the top of it's limit.

2. Adjust the carb so that it is open for a high idle with the tab still in the high position.

3. Program the idle- down with engine running.

4. Program the thr-cut with engine running.

So used to the the mechanical levers, but eager to learn the digital way of setting up.

Dan
Old 03-30-2002, 12:09 AM
JPBIII

Set the linkage up where the throttle is fully closed and the trim is all the way down. You may have to adjust the ATV's to get it set properly.
The other functions can be set after this is set.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:20 AM
JasonF
My Feedback: (2)

At idle, your trim should be somewhere in the middle of its range. This gives you the ability to adjust it in either direction at the field. Of course, you need to set up the throttle cut feature on a switch (toggle works good) to kill your engine.

Jason
Old 03-30-2002, 03:28 AM
Tim_Indy

Capgains, I think it's best to set the trim tab in the MIDDLE of it's travel.

Like you, I then (while the engine is running) set the high idle using ATV, then program the idle down, then program the throttle cut.

The idle down rpm is the most critical, right? Since you set the trim tab in the middle of it's travel, you can now make minute higher or lower rpm adjustments to the idle down rpm using the trim tab, rather than having to re-program the idle down.

Some guys don't like digital throttle trims, but I find it more convenient. I like being able to simply hit a switch, and consistently get exactly the low rpm I want.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:29 AM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

Ok, this sounds like ideally the trim will be centered most of the time (except for fine adjustments) and I will use the idle-down and thr-cut instead of shoving the tab up and down like with a mechanical trim lever. Cool!

Thanks,

Dan
Old 03-30-2002, 12:52 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Gotta Luv Those Digital Trims

I've owned my Futaba 9Z since 1993 and love the digital trims. Recently wound up with a JR 10SX with manual trims. It's in a third scale Edge that flies well. I was doing an inverted flat the other day and my left hand promptly shoved the elevator trim to the full down position Luckliy I felt it and immediately knew what happened. Corrected it in a hurry. Have to modify my technique with the manual trim radio