Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

NO SELLING - JUST COMPARE FUTABA 8FG TO A9 HITEC

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NO SELLING - JUST COMPARE FUTABA 8FG TO A9 HITEC

I just got an 8FG and I thought I would chime in. At first I hated the data entry wheel or whatever its called. I came from a 7C so it was frushtrating not being able to cursur up and down one space and always having to scroll through every choice. However, after about a day of messing with it I actually think this is a better way to enter data than the 7C[8D]. I do not think the data entry wheel is too sensitive but it does take some serious practice getting used to. Overall I like the radio but there are a few misses that I want to point out.

1. My dad always told me to look out for what they don't tell you. Looking at all the reviews I did not notice being informed that you will need a new buddy box cable to the tune of $40.00!!!!!!!![:@] It is not the fact that you need a different cable, it is that they are gouging the living cr*p out of you for it. This really peaved my off big time.[:@][:@][:@]

2. I would have liked to see a few options on airplane silhouettes. You get one airplane silhouette by default and that is it.[&o]

3. There are places in the menu where they truncate when they don't have to! You have this huge screen and what do they do? They truncate. wow[&o]

4. They put expo under the duel rate menu. I would have prefered just expo and a selection by itself. Took me forever to find it since I don't ever use duel rates.[&o]

5. I don't get the concept of the distinction they have drawn between the linkage menu and the model menu. I must be missing something here.[&o]

Overall I am happy but there is some seious "Nippon Intuitiveness" going on as ususal.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:35 PM

With your old 7C you can use a standard micro square to micro square Futaba trainer cord to the 8FG, but the 7C must be the master and the 8Fg must be the student transmitter.
The expensive cable is only required if you want to use the 8FG (or 12FG) as master. It's in the fine print
The learning curve on any new Tx can be daunting[:-]
Pete
Old 12-24-2009, 12:28 PM
My Feedback: (303)

Check This Out!

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/ma...ison_Chart.pdf
Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 AM

My local hobby shop in Auburn, WA has an Aurora9 in stock for $419. I am looking for a radio for my new Trex 450. I am sure even a spectrum dx6i would do me just fine, since my last heli was a blade cp+ withthe basic transmiter. Anyway, spent about an hour playing with the A9 and comparing to the dx6i and dx7. I really like the A9. Very easy to use and setup. Obviously the A9 costs quite a bit more money, so one would hope it is better. The A9 feels well built, and feels like you are actually holding something and it isn't just some cheep chinese plastic toy.

I haven't had a chance to fly my heli yet with either of the systems yet, but am really leaning towards the A9. Of course, since no one elses seems to have one in stock I better hurry up and decide.

Has anyone else been able to ahold of one? Any one using it for helis, particularly a Trex? Thanks.</p>
Old 01-10-2010, 04:08 PM
My Feedback: (494)

Radios are on their way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMGPn...eature=related
Old 01-11-2010, 01:22 AM

Nitro Pilot, my LHS has an Aurora 9 in stock. I was really excited to get to play with it. I'm a computer geek and technophile, and I love anything that's a touchscreen...so I was really excited about a touch screen transmitter. However, I was disappointed. My fingers got in my way a lot, I had to go through 12 different menus for the simplest of tasks and nothing was self explanatory. The menu titles didn't tell me anything and I didn't really get any good flow from it. It was a fun Tx to play with, but I can promise you that I'd end up throwing it through a wall before I got anything meaningful set-up on it. More than just the programming, I wasn't fond of the feel of it in my hand. I LOVED how solid the gimbals felt...but I think it was an awful lot of placebo effect in there because I knew it had quad bearings installed and I was really excited about that.

I'm a Futaba 10C owner and lover. I've never used a Futaba 8FG, however I've used a Futaba 7C and liked its interface as well. If the 8FG has an interface similar to any of the other modern Futaba computer radios, I'm sure it'll be a winner for sure. FASST has never had any issues (besides heat, which was taken care of) and has been proven to work through MANY years in industry as well as several years of R/C. Futaba transmitters also fit better in my hands (though I must say I love how solid the 9303 feels) than the A9 did. Plus, the 8FG and the 10CG both offer FASST-specific designs as compared to the A9's modular system. I bought a 10CAP and loved the modular feature, even though I never planned on getting a 72mhz module for it or ever flying 72mhz again, because I felt like modules were upper-end radio features. Now I wish I had a 2.4GHz only tx, but I've modified mine to fix that.

I know it's a lot of emoting, but I do not like the touch-screen interface. I love the concept, but I was not impressed by the implementation. There were a couple annoying things there that I wasn't fond of.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:32 AM

Thanks for your experience with it. I haven't seen one yet. I also use a 10C, but didn't want to be unfair with the advantages of the 10C over the Aurora 9 so I thought the 8FG was a fair match keeping things in budget. I can pop in modules in mine so I go back and forth from 72Mhz and 2.4, as my planes number more than 2 dozen, it's a gradual transition going into 2.4.

I suspected the "easy programming" was a farce. It's like the emperor's new clothes syndrome all over again. No one wants to say they wasted $430.00 or they've been Hitec users and find it familiar. I've been using Futaba for the last 8 years, and when I started out using my 9C, I grew accustomed to that style of programming. The 10C was very easy to switch to. I have a JR7202 and I could never get used to it. I had an Eclipse 7, same story. I think once someone gets used to a radio, they stick with it. I know some local guys are frustrated with JR/Spectrum radios, just setting up flaperons was an ordeal.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Well, maybe someone well-versed with Hitec can figure it out better. However, I couldn't figure out the A9....and I had no problems programming a JR 7202 (helis and planes, and I'm NEW to helis) or a 9303.

The reason I'm comparing the 10C to the A9 is that a) I don't have any experience with the 8FG but can assume that the programming is similar and b) the A9 is supposed to compete with the 10C in features. The 8FG is (unfortunately) very close in performance to a 10C. If I could, I'd take the $150 difference and an 8FG over my 10C (and use that money plus some of my own to order myself a back-up 50cc airframe). I'm a little disappointed with the touch-screen gimmick, even though I was already figuring up how I could buy it! Not any more, that's for sure.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:03 PM
My Feedback: (5)

look the video of how the FASST works(waves) and how other works and you will be amazed, then you will not think twice.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:17 PM

What video would that be ?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM
My Feedback: (303)

I suspected the "easy programming" was a farce. It's like the emperor's new clothes syndrome all over again.????????

WHAT???????

It is easy!! You can't just TALK to it! Once you set and look at it and take some time, it is pretty straight forward.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Here's some videos... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8861187/tm.htm
Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw
WHAT???????

It is easy!! You can't just TALK to it! Once you set and look at it and take some time, it is pretty straight forward.
He didn't have that expectation at all if you read his comment again.

ORIGINAL: victorzamora
.....I'm a computer geek and technophile, and I love anything that's a touchscreen...so I was really excited about a touch screen transmitter. However, I was disappointed. My fingers got in my way a lot, I had to go through 12 different menus for the simplest of tasks and nothing was self explanatory. The menu titles didn't tell me anything and I didn't really get any good flow from it. It was a fun Tx to play with, but I can promise you that I'd end up throwing it through a wall before I got anything meaningful set-up on it. More than just the programming, I wasn't fond of the feel of it in my hand. .......
The comment coming from someone who is used to technical changes and adjusting to them routinely, isn't "grandpa" coming out of his Kraft 4 ch radio from 30 years ago and overwhelmed by coming out of the house for the first time with this technology. Most people picking up my 10C radio love the screen and layout, saying it is in fact "self explanatory". I would expect a beginner or someone less exposed to new technology to have a problem with any computer radio, but this wasn't the case.

My comment was based upon his observations. He seems to have more flexibility than I do.
Apparently the screen, the number of menus you drill down "simplest of tasks" concerned me.
Some programming like this does vary from radio to radio, where setting up common servo configurations gets more complicated than one would expect.
Some of those are exponential, dual rates, end point, flaperons, throttle cut, and just setting up two servo aileron mixing. It's common on my planes, it's very easy to do on a 10C.
I can only go on the comments from those who have touched one. I have still yet to see one anywhere in our area.

It's safe to say any transition from one radio to another by brand is never as easy as one expects. I've seen a few guys over the years go to a more complex radio, and crash a plane because they didn't program it correctly. It wasn't uncommon to see someone walk around looking for help to get a plane set up at our field, even more experienced guys.

I think watching a video on the A9 is like the guy that gets one of those new super sharp indestructible knives he watched demonstrated cutting through cans, tomatoes, bread, and a tire all in 1 minute, he pays $25 for it, brings it home, and it's nothing like how the chef was able to make it perform, and the plastic handle falls off in a week. Any professional is going to master the radio before he posts a video of it.

This comment from victorzamora was a first impression. I had a positive first impression with my 10C. I wouldn't say he's expecting to talk to it.

Mike, You've got a whole thread somewhere else. Now all we need is A.T. to show up and it's deja vu. I didn't want salespeople posting biased information here, thanks. Of course you work for Hitec, how could you possibly remain objective about the radios? (this isn't a question prompting your response, it's rhetorical.)
Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot &lt;snip&gt; Mike, You've got a whole thread somewhere else. Now all we need is A.T. to show up and it's deja vu. I didn't want salespeople posting biased information here, thanks. Of course you work for Hitec, how could you possibly remain objective about the radios? (this isn't a question prompting your response, it's rhetorical.)
Never like to disappointanyone, as on the contrary, a lot of time and effort has gone into the various brandcomparison charts, previously quoted and listed on my web page.Only once ever has an error been raised regarding one of my own charts and that was corrected same day.
Please scroll down my webpage which is a completely unbiaseddatabase,developed over the past 11+ years, to help and assist modellers of all interests. The "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" section containsinformation relating to all brands and systems.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links
Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Old 01-11-2010, 11:57 PM

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

Check This Out!

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/ma...ison_Chart.pdf
Wow that's awesome. Not really important but I wished someone had did a weight comparison with stock batteries.

I think the A9 will be the radio to hold top ranks for a long time, when you compare features and price, you just cant beat this TX. Hitec might have been last to come out in the 2.4 ghz race, but comparing apples with apples, they are in front of the race so far with the A9 IMO.

With this name MIKEMAYBERRY on the boards helping people with their questions and explaing the features, Hitec is smart. Its having unmatched tech support for free and right at your fingertips literally, thanks Mike and thanks Hitec!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 PM

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot <snip> Mike, You've got a whole thread somewhere else. Now all we need is A.T. to show up and it's deja vu. I didn't want salespeople posting biased information here, thanks. Of course you work for Hitec, how could you possibly remain objective about the radios? (this isn't a question prompting your response, it's rhetorical.)
Never like to disappoint anyone, as on the contrary, a lot of time and effort has gone into the various brand comparison charts, previously quoted and listed on my web page. Only once ever has an error been raised regarding one of my own charts and that was corrected same day.
Please scroll down my webpage which is a completely unbiased database, developed over the past 11+ years, to help and assist modellers of all interests. The ''Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ'' section contains information relating to all brands and systems.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
You are a good man Mate.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot Salespeople have an agenda, they want to promote their product. That doesn't really give us an area to objectively compare the real features that a wise shopper would perform, just like buying any other product in this world. So salespeople need not promote here, this is for the buyer. The forum is flooded with sales-people showing off the gimmick radios that cost over $400 like we couldn't fly yesterday not having them. I want to have a user / buyer thread that doesn't hype up a feature with 100 wing options like that's why I buy a new radio in the first place. Truly it could be said of the weekend RC pilot, his typical sport plane just needs expo or dual rates (preference), end point is nice but one could get into the horns and pushrod area like the old days faster than reading up on a new manual. This is just examples of what is being thrown upon us. Some still drive their high school car, others buy the next model year every year. Some use old radios like the 7U, 6X, Prism 7, JR6102, etc. Some need to get today's new radio and pre-order tomorrows. What I'd like to know is without the hype on the touch screen (JR had one first) Aurora 9, and really get into the useful features one would want. The 8FG has just been released and is in the ballpark with pricing. The market guide gives a side by side radio comparison section to do this, unfortunately it's hasn't been updated in quite awhile. This may facilitate an opportunity to accomplish that. I haven't made up my mind yet what radio to get. The last thing I want to hear is an online salesman telling me what I'll need in the radio when he hasn't asked what, when, and how much flying I do first. The 2.4Ghz transition hasn't taken over my hangar yet, many planes are still on 72Mhz. So timing is good, lots of choices. I'd like to discuss what RCU members have actually put in their hands and used, and that would carry a lot of weight for me in making a decision for my next radio. Thanks for your help.
Simply take relative Futaba TX information from their chart and compare:
Futaba TX Comparaison Chart
Hitec Aurora Comparison with JR & Futaba Chart
http://www.hitecrcd.com/product/comparison_chart/26/Optic_Radio_Chart.pdf]Hitec Optic 6 Comparison] Optic 6 can be bought with a 2.4GHz module with telemetry. 2. Optic Sport cannnot be purchased nor fitted with 2.4GHz.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

I'm not familiar with the Maori, New Zealand, or even Canada enough to know if it's a cultural limitation or a personal one,
but I've read the first post of these links on page 1 already, so why are you being redundant?

Isn't there anything more you can offer than the same marketing pitch in the videos? I've seen them, you noted it, on more than this thread, so what's your point in being so repetitive in your posts? It leads me to conclude you have nothing more to offer than your cursory knowledge of the product your company hired you to support. Are you a bit knackered tonight A.T.?

I guess the better question is how much flight time have you put on the A9 considering you don't have the weather for it? Probably none.

Read my first post, salespeople shouldn't be posting here. Makes me want to chunder in the dunny.

Cheerio.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Striker

You are a good man Mate.
Actually it's Good on ya, mate! Isn't that right A.T.? I'm a wally guy tonight, don't pack a sad over it.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:30 AM

After seeing an A9 at my local hobby shop a week ago and reading every thread I could find about it, I finally broke down and went and bought it on Monday. So, if anyone wants a completely "unbiased" opinion and thoughts about the A9, then just give me a few days with it. I will not be able to comment on the more advanced features because Ihave only had a Blade CP+ before this. the radio that came with it was very basic and setup from the factory. No need for programming. What that means for the rest of you is if I say it was easy to program easy to use, or what ever else, then it really was because I have no previous experience.

I will be using this radio on my trex 450. So far, I like the touchscree. I am using the stock battery at the moment, so if who ever it was on here wants the weight of the transmitter with the stock battery then I can provide that.

Anyway, once I have had a chance to setup my heli/radio and use it for a couple days, I will post my thoughts.</p>
Old 01-14-2010, 12:25 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I've yet to hold an A9, so I cannot comment on it. However, I can compare my 8FG to my 9CAPS and programming each on the same plane. I originally had my GP Reactor (E powered of course ) setup with the 9C. I'm running all Hitec digital servos (like 'em a bunch) including 2 on the elevator halves. Even with the learning curve it was easier to setup on the 8FG. Pick the wing type, tail type, move channel 8 servo location for 2nd elevator half to take advantage of high speed mode on ch 1 - 6 of the rx. It was all pretty straight forward. The 8FG is loaded with features that will certainly meet the needs of allot of pilots. The 2048 resolution, FASST high speed mode and digital servos are a strong combination. I can flick the rudder stick and the servo follows all the stick movements until it stops. Sadly though, the manual ain't great. It doesn't give examples of how to actually program many of the more advanced features, like conditions. It basically just tells you that you've got this feature and it consists of pieces x, y, z and q. But not how to put it all together. []

Unfortunately, I won't be able to fly for a while here in SE Illinois. It's too @&^*! cold and still have snow on the ground.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:12 AM

Imagine the thousands of Futaba radios being sold and enjoyed at the flying field, while people have been waiting since NOVEMBER for the ship to come in on the A9. So sad, they're still waiting.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ra+9&search=Go
Old 03-17-2010, 05:43 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot

Imagine the thousands of Futaba radios being sold and enjoyed at the flying field, while people have been waiting since NOVEMBER for the ship to come in on the A9. So sad, they're still waiting.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ra+9&search=Go
Not waiting so much anymore. I got my A9 recently from a smaller online retailer. The problem with ordering from Tower is that they are the largest online retailer and therefore are going to have the biggest backorder list. I pity 'da foo' that ordered from Tower and expects to get an A9 anytime soon.

And about this "programming" thing... People who pick up an A9 and mess with it for 10 minutes and then declare that it's a mess to program are simply exhibiting a normal reaction to anything new.
Each of the manufactures impliment various methods, procedures, and logical (sometime "illogical") ways of programming, and even the same manufacturer will change things on different models that can be confusing to a user of a different model.

What I liked the most about my Multiplex EVO/12 was the programming even though it was totally different from what I had been used to. One reason for the difference with the EVO is the full assignability of a channel to any function and the mixing to go with that. That kind of freedom meant a different logic of programming, and while confusing at first, the EVO quickly became so easy that I rarely looked at the manual after the first couple of weeks of setting up models with it.

The reason I went with the Aurora 9 was specifically because it has full channel assignability, similar to the EVO. But with that freedom (again), comes a different logic of programming. Different, but I think in the end, easier.
I would posit that anyone who flew with an A9 for any period of time and then picked up a Futaba/JR/anythingelse radio and tried to program it, they would be at least as frustrated as they report the A9 to be when they play with it at a hobby shop.
I personally suspect that Hitec sort of ripped off the Multiplex EVO when they started with the idea of a fully assignable radio (and I mean that in a good way )

But good points are made by nitro that some features of a radio may or may not be important to a person, so each person needs to decide upon the features that are "deal breakers" for them.
For me personally, the A9 has everything I demand in a radio by virtue of it's full, free-form assignability of channels, and that covers a lot of "deal breakers" that I don't have to worry about.

But the people who make the programming itself of the A9 an issue are really missing out on something because whatever features you think you like or don't like about the A9, the method and logic of programming really isn't an issue once you actually set up your first model using the manual for reference.
I wonder how many people have picked up a new unfamiliar radio of ANY other brand and never had to look at the manual for setting up their first plane?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:54 PM

Ordered mine Feb 5th and got it March 15th.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 PM

OK, the 8FG has 8 proportional channels and 2 switched one. How many proportional channels does the Hitec Auror A9 have?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.