Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum Dual Aileron

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 AM
eastcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum Dual Aileron

Hey all.

I Just picked up the GP Cherokee ,its my first ARF,and i got the DX6i,so i was reading though the Manual if the TX,and I'm wondering if i need too have Dual Aileron (Active)? seeing the Plane has a servo for each Aileron,and too have the Servos ports in

AILE servo port (right Aileron)
AUX1 servo port (left Aileron)
But I'm going too be using a Y harness,so i was just thinking that Y harnessing in the 2 servos into the Aile Port,and don't the Power Switch/On off Switch go into the AUX1?

Bear with me ,this is all new,I've only had 2 other Planes and they were the HZ Super Cub RTF fine Plane i most Add, and a 200$ and a RTF Extra330L from Japan Sigh..... Ebay[:-][:@]

well lol I'm not sure if I'm making any sense here,but i want the TX dialed ,before i have a Maiden in this Beauty of a Plane
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spectrum Dual Aileron

In most cases, the Switch Harness can be connected to any port on the receiver. For example, you can plug a Y Harness into the Throttle Channel port, plug the Switch Harness into one side of the Y and the Throttle servo into the other side of the Y. With more expensive aircraft, I often times use a Redundant Battery setup where the 1st Switch Harness is plugged into the Batt port and the 2nd Switch Harness is plugged into any other Channel port.

You did not say which receiver you were using, but a typical 6ch receiver would have Throttle in Ch1, Right Aileron in Ch2, Elevator in Ch3, Rudder in Ch4, Retracts in Ch5, and Left Aileron in Ch6. You would use the Flapperon program to mix Ch2 and Ch6 for Ailerons. If your receiver does not have a Batt port, you can plug the Switch Harness into any of the channels 1-6 using a Y. If you don't have Retracts, you can plug the Switch Harness into Ch5 without using a Y.

With a Dual Aileron setup like you describe, I much prefer using the Flapperon Mix instead of plugging both Aileron servos into a Y Harness. You have much more control over the setup of each Aileron servo and you can even use the Ailerons as Flaps, as well.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:06 AM
eastcoast

ahh ok i kinda getting what your saying,yea soory but im useing the AR6200,the Cherokee has Flaps but hmm using the Alirons as Flaps as well ,hmm interesting hahah
Old 12-04-2009, 08:02 AM
airbusdrvr

There are a lot of advantages to setting up the ailerons using separate channels(1&6) instead of the y-harness. You then can have differential ailerons which make your turns easier to coordinate. You can use subtrim to make minor set-up trim adjustments instead of mechanically adjusting each aileron. Additionally, if not using the y-harness, the orientation of your servo arms(facing inboard or outboard) is not important as you can reverse either servo, if needed.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 AM
BuschBarber

OK!! I pulled up the manual on the AR6200. The Switch Harness would connect to the BAtt/Bind port. This confuses some people because the question then is Where do you connect the Bind Plug in order to Bind. The answer is if you have a Switch Harness that has a 3 wires (like the JR Switch Harness with the molded in Charge Jack), you can connect the Bind Plug to the Charge Jack to Bind. If you have a cheaper Switch Harness then you must connect the Bind Plug to the Batt/Bind port on the receiver. What I do is connect a Y Harness to the Batt/Bind port, connect the Switch Harness to one side of the Y and the Bind Plug to the other side of the Y. Another temporary method is to connect the Switch Harness to another Channel port, connect the Bind Plug to the Batt/Bind port, Bind the Rx to the Tx, and then move the Switch Harness back to the Batt/Bind port. It is much easier if you just buy a 3 wire Switch Harness to begin with.

Since your aircraft comes with Flaps, you will probably want to use those rather than using the Ailerons for Flaps. If you have a separate servo for each Flap, usually one of the servos needs to be Reversed. I like to use a JR Matchbox for that. You can connect both servos to the Matchbox and use the dials on the Matchbox to Reverse one channel and then set the Neutral and End Points for each servo so they are Matched. A JR Matchbox will allow you to connect up to 4 servos to one channel.

As far as your Ailerons, I prefer to use a Matchbox there, as well, or you could use a Y Harness. If you use a Y Harness, buy one that has either 20ga or 22ga wire and not the 24ga. I have had problems with Y Harnesses failing so I like to use a Matchbox, where possible, but especially if I have to Reverse a servo. When you have an aircraft that has separate servos for each Aileron, each Elevator, or each Flap, you will find that you won't have to Reverse an Aileron servo, but you will almost always have to Reverse one of the Elevator servos or one of the Flap servos.

When I moved to a 9ch Tx and Rx, it was easier to put Aileron, Elevator, and Flap servos on separate channels and Mix them.

If you are not using Retracts, you could put you Left Aileron on Ch5 and use one of your Tx's Programmable Mixers to mix Ch2 and Ch5 for Ailerons.

I have used Servo Reversing Y Harnesses in the past but it seems that the Neutral Point keeps changing after a few flights so I do not trust them as I have to keep adjusting the linkages every so often.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 PM
eastcoast

yea I've been reading alot on the Manuals and stuff for the AR6200 and the DX6i,was just a little confusing on the whole Y harness and stuff,i was testing it last night with some old servos i had lying around,form one of my RTF that i took apart after its had its use,

the Manual for the Plane requires 2 Y harness's 1. for the Ailerons and 1.for the the Flaps, and 2 (9'') Servo Extensions for aileron servos.but i don't think ill Y the 2 Aileron servos,ill Just mix them,seems too be the Best option

this is the Flight Pack I'm going to be getting, Plus 3 more 3004 too finish the servo set up http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=FUTL1105 it has the Switch Harness that has a 3 wires so Binding/power is taking care of.
i set 2 of my servos in AILE servo port (right Aileron) ...AUX1 servo port (left Aileron) and uses the Dual Aileron function and seen that when moving the right stick too the right or left that the 2 servos were in sync.
I think I'm Slowly understanding this

Thanks guys,your help is great
Old 12-04-2009, 02:34 PM
BuschBarber

Good job!!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:30 PM
eastcoast

k guys got that far in the Ale servo,now with the Flaps i want them too be a 2 position ,so i mixed Flap too Flap 40% and then Elv D/r too 100%, but it only works when i have it in the AUX port on the receiver? am i missing something here?
The only Port in my receiver i have un-used is the gear port, so i was thinking ..ok...Ill just have it Mix gear too gear 40% and then Elv D/r too 100%.but im have Probs here,before on flap too flap,id hit the flap toggle switch the servo would increment 40%,and then hit the ElEV D/R and the Servo would increment too 100%,which is the way i want it,but it only works while in the AUX and i have that for one of My Ale servos?

Once again im stumped