Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

AFHSS vs. FASST?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AFHSS vs. FASST?

I am not trying to start a war here, just asking a technical question. I understand the difference between the Spektrum/JR and Futaba 2.4 systems but what is the difference, if any, between the Futaba FASST system and Hitec's AFHSS? I am sure both work really well, just wondering if there is a difference.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 12-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Switch_639

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AFHSS vs. FASST?

FASST utilizes channel shifting whereby the system continuously changes frequencies every two milliseconds thus preventing signal conflicts and eliminating interference issues... What I have heard about AFHSS it uses channel hopping but does not recognize the bad channels/frequencies... something like that, but there is a disadvantage of doing so or neglecting those signals... but I am not to informed on it...

just found this also about AFHSS explained by Mike on another forum...

AFHSS Explained

There are two ways it can work.

Normal mode, (default) uses the same 20 channels as when it was bound. This has almost instantaneous linking time, and you can operate redundant RX's if needed.

Scan mode, scans the band (79 channels) every time it turns on to pick the cleanest 20 channels to use. The link time is about 3-5 seconds, but you must cycle power if you lose power to either TX or RX (not brownout condition,) and you cannot use two RX's at the same time for redundancy
Old 12-25-2009, 10:43 AM
DougV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AFHSS vs. FASST?

Merry Christmas.

FCC reports for Futaba shows that FASST RF core is DSSS, but they also added Frequency Hopping or "Channel Shifting" on top of that, so FASST is a FHSS/DSSS hybrid system. This means that not only is the signal spread across a whole channel (DSSS) but it also hops continuously from one channel to another (FHSS), 36 channels.

To me the FASST RF system has the best of both worlds.

Regards,
Doug.