Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

they can have my 72mhz radio when they pry it from my cold dead hands !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

they can have my 72mhz radio when they pry it from my cold dead hands !

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default they can have my 72mhz radio when they pry it from my cold dead hands !

my JR 6102 works great. i aint falling for all this latest and greatest B.S. i use one only if its forced on me and its free. otherwise shove it !
Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: they can have my 72mhz radio when they pry it from my cold dead hands !

It's OK, the war is over. You can come out of your cave.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:10 AM
SigMan

Default RE: they can have my 72mhz radio when they pry it from my cold dead hands !

very funny you old fart !
Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

I have two JR XP9303 Tx's - One with the Spektrum 2.4 RF Module and one with the Synthesizer 72Mhz RF Module. I have been flying RC since 1978 and spent countless hours, over the years, fighting RF Noise and other forms of Interference, not to mention waiting for the Frequency Pin at my Club Field or at a Meet.

I am still flying some 72Mhz stuff until I can buy more 2.4 Receivers, but 2.4 is like Heaven and the sooner I can switch entirely to 2.4 the better.

Just because there is a Glut of cheap 72Mhz stuff on the market does not mean you are more safe. It just means that Newbies with Ground vehicles and Park Flyers will be buying up this stuff and could be a block from where you fly. Unless it is a Cost thing, I would move to 2.4 ASAP.

If it is an Ego thing, Get over it!!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM
SigMan

Thanks Rich ! i guess i just needed a kick in the pants! i guess im shopping for a 2.4 ghz radio today. any suggestions, maybe one that comes with a plane combo?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:57 AM
BuschBarber

I don't blame you for feeling that 2.4 is being pushed at you and your current radio is not giving you any trouble. Despite all the problems I have seen over the years, I have not had many crashes due to Interference, but it has been time consuming to prevent them.

If you scan the "Which 2.4 Radio?" threads, on RCU, you will find many to choose from. While some claim that a certain implementation of Spread Spectrum technology is better than others, I think you will find the choices depend more on how much you want to spend, what variety of Rx's are available, how does the Tx feel in your hands, and what kind of programming does the Tx have.

JR/Spektrum, Futaba, Airtronics, Hitec probably lead the way. If you have an older radio that uses RF Modules, there are even more choices. Whatever Tx or RF Module you choose, you have to use that manufacturer's Rx's. There are no 3rd party Rx's. JR and Spektrum use the same technology for 2.4, so they are an exception.

Hitec has come into the 2.4 market late, but the A9 is looking very promising and the Bang for the Buck is better right now. The are hard to get right now and they are new so you have not much History to base an evaluation on. Over the years, I have used many Hitec servos and Rx's and the service has always been great. I know that before the end of last year, you could buy an Aurora 9 and get a 9ch Rx plus a coupon for two 7Ch Rx's.

Airtronics 2.4 has been out longer than Hitec and is also a good value.

JR/Spektrum offers a variety of Rx's and if you already have a JR/Spektrum 2.4 Tx, Bind n Fly RTF aircraft allow you to get into the air the same day.

Plug n Play aircraft allow you to drop in your favorite Rx (from any company) and Battery and fly the same day.

Futaba has been around forever and has a 14ch Tx.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

One thing though is that the ground people will have to change the frequency to be able to run our aircraft radios on there stuff.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They ought to but they don't have to......
Old 01-07-2010, 12:09 PM
BuschBarber

I don't want to bad mouth all RC Boat and Car people. Like the newbie Park Flyer, new RC Car and Boat persons may not know the rules and don't belong to clubs and organizations like AMA. They may unwittingly buy up old Aircraft radios because they are cheap.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Gypsy56

I understand the benefits of 2.4 and will inevitably switch over. The thing that makes me mad about any new technology, is how the old systems get pushed out whether you like it or not. I have four 72 Mhz transmitters and nine receivers right now. It seems as though if I don't get rid of them all now and take a loss, I may be stuck with them forever.
Even though the AMA nor the FCC has mentioned making 72 Mhz obsolete, some fields and events (Joe Nall) have already outlawed them!! I would like to see the two bands coexist for years to come allowing users to gradually switch over as old equipment wears out or becomes too old to trust. Another problem, at least in my retired situation, is the cost of 2.4 receivers. Over 100 bucks for a full range model! Again, I will switch over, but I think I'll wait and make sure all the bugs are worked out. By the way, I've seen more models crashed at my field by 2.4 problems in the last couple of years than 72 Mhz systems.

Ed
AKA David, Alfred J. Brickols, Robin Goodfellow, Justin Hayward, Don Matix

Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

The Airtronics 2.4 full-range receivers are well under a hundred bucks! You can buy the 8 channel 2.4 receivers all day long on e*ay for $60-$70. And, Airtronics is a true frequency hopping system.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Gypsy56

Thanks for the info Woody.
I'll check into Airtronics when I get ready for my next radio.

Ed

Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
exeter_acres

Ya know... my 72mhz worked fine..... really was in no hurry to switch.

I had the module for my radio and just wasn't in a hurry...

I was at SEFF( probably my favorite event!!) and went to get a pager for my channel.
Someone had just picked my frequency and it was going to at least 20 minutes until I could have the pin.....

Oh well....

Hmmmm

Pulled the old RX out, but the new 2.4 in... range checked and went flying,..... before my frequency pin(pager) was ever turned in.....

Never looked back....

4oz foamy to my 40%er.... all on 2.4

and I never have to get a pin!

I have no delusions that 2.4 is bomb proof... it isn't.. no radio signal is...
but I just love not needing a frequency pin!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:26 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

Pin is not the issue anymore as more folks are flying 2.4 at our field than silver swords. The transition where people use both 2.4 and 72 mhz is the new deal. They get comfortable turning on to check something on their 2.4 system while in the pits and forget and do the same thing with their 72 system. Danger.... and I bet you guys know someone that has done it.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bgw45

Pin is not the issue anymore as more folks are flying 2.4 at our field than silver swords. The transition where people use both 2.4 and 72 mhz is the new deal. They get comfortable turning on to check something on their 2.4 system while in the pits and forget and do the same thing with their 72 system. Danger.... and I bet you guys know someone that has done it.

Bingo!!!

We had a plane shot down due to this very issue. Be careful

Pete
Old 01-09-2010, 02:16 AM
TommyWatson

I have two jet models with 36 Mhz Weatronic Receivers. I will keep them because the Weatronic RX is so versatile with the Gyro and the logging and setup features.
Also there is rarely a frequency clash at my field as most guys are using 2.4. I will change to 2.4 when my old Futaba 9Zap gives up the ghost.

Regards
Old 01-09-2010, 03:19 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am going to push to have our Warbird event 2.4 only. As it takes a lot of work to deal with frequencies and trying to secure labor to operate an impound, we have this option not to deal with it any more. With over 150 pilots they will just have to make the switch.
But I know, I know, You probably do not enter fly in events and probably do not compete either. Whatever. To each there own but man, th initial tone of this thread was so toxic, if I were a moderator, I would have nixed it immediately.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:23 AM
vertical grimmace

Another issue is when instructing or switching between 2.4 and 72 is forgetting to extend the antenna. I have done this once and have never done it in 26 years prior. We are creatures of habit!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 AM
carrellh

I am not anti-2.4 but I have no plans to make the switch unless something happens to give me a reason to do so.

The reasons thrown out in this thread and many others are not enough, for me, at this time. Your mileage may vary.
Waiting for the pin is not an issue for me. I am in a small club and no one else uses channel 13.
People in my club have had very few issues with 72 mhz in the 8 or 9 years I have been there.
Could someone in the area buy a used 72 mhz radio and use it in a car down the street? Yes, but the chances of it being on channel 13 are somewhat remote.

I have at least six brand new 72 mhz receivers waiting for models.

I'll switch when one of these things happens...
FCC takes away 72 mhz
The 9C we have stops working
Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
SigMan

were you born in 1910. toxic my rear-end !
Old 01-09-2010, 01:25 PM
SigMan

i really like the Airtronics 8- and 10 channel offering. is Airtronic compatible with JR servo's ?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 PM
SigMan

check this out. cheaper that Tower Hobbies and you get 2 recievers....http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...4/category/14/
Old 01-09-2010, 07:53 PM
vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: SigMan

were you born in 1910. toxic my rear-end !
I wish, then I could have seen one of these in real life. I have never had a problem with 72 mhz. In fact I still have a ton of it I am trying to get rid of. 2.4 is just more convenient.
By toxic, I get the sense you are trying to pick a fight. Whatever. I don't care what you use.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41994.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1352930  
Old 01-10-2010, 02:14 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Advantages of 2.4GHZ over 72MHZ systems:

1. No frequency pins needed.
2. Smaller antennas required.
3. Less problems with ignition or other sources of interference.
4. Less expensive receivers. Allows multiple receivers for greater link reliability.

The Chinese are selling receivers for less than $30.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM
SigMan

i never intended to toxic or start anything VG.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.