Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

futaba2.4 or keep my DX7 brownout specialty

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba2.4 or keep my DX7 brownout specialty

yesterday was my third brownout with my DX7 and again it cost me a beautiful plane..until 2 years ago I had nothing but futaba's and still own a 9C FM radio.I am looking at selling off my DX7 and buying a futaba 2.4

I fly 3 and 4 cell electrics my biggest being 55inches.the others are 47in.and a few glow planes.I am not a competive flyer an don't fly super complicated planes so I am thinking a 7C 2.4 is right for me.

now does this system require a voltage regulator like my DX7? my best friend owns a futaba and in the same 2 years has never experienced even one brownout.I feel one is too many.

someone told me the DX7 has more features...like what???model match is fine but not a deal breaker for me ..I can mix and reassign switches I can couple split elevators electronically with futaba tyhats about the exten of my programming.oh yeah a bind plug .try reaching in and re binding the rx.my arthrtic fingers don't like tight spaces.

so I guess I want to hear from futaba owners why they prefer the futaba over the spectrum.. thanks
Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 PM
electricpete

Default RE: futaba2.4 or keep my DX7 brownout specialty

Look at cost of receivers and type of receivers.

Peter
Old 01-30-2010, 03:36 PM
cloudancer03

the rx's I would beusingfor my faba would run between 90 and 100dollars.the dx7's vary but new run 99bucks and ar9000 199new.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:41 PM
DougV

This will need to be moved to the regular forum, this is for Futaba direct support only.

But I will tell you this, I own both radios but I prefer the Futaba FASST better.

Doug.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 PM
cloudancer03

thanks didnt realize the rules so I wont post again sorry.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:13 PM
caltrop

Hitech has a new 2.4 out and from what I have heard it is as good as Futaba or better. The Hitech has telemetry that none of the others have. In other words it will send information back about your system like receiver battery voltage and Hitech will have modules coming out soon for rpm, temperature, & altitude.

After the first BAD crash I went out and got a good old Futaba 72MHz. Now I only use my old DX7 for stuff I don't care about crashing.

I have had issues with everything from the AR7000 to the AR6100 and the new BNF stuff. So it is the transmitter and not the receivers that are to blame although the AR6100 did have issues. The originally advertised statement that the receiver would work down to 3 volts was a fantasy. Even the new AR6100's and upgraded versions only work down to 4 volts.

I have had the old brownout special sent in four times not and just recently completed a small claims court case against Horizon.

All the neat little BNF stuff Horizon is coming out with and promising by whenever and it is six months or more before they deliver.

It would be great if you could rely on it. Some people swear by Spektrum but with all the trouble I haveahd and read aboutNO MORE SPEKTRUM FOR ME!!! I just can't afford Horizon anymore.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Why not just resolve your brownout issue?  Cheaper  to do, and you're probably cutting some corners too close if you're having that problem.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

yesterday was my third brownout with my DX7 and again it cost me a beautiful plane..until 2 years ago I had nothing but futaba's and still own a 9C FM radio.I am looking at selling off my DX7 and buying a futaba 2.4

I
ORIGINAL:Electricpete
Look at cost of receivers and type of receivers.
Yes, Spectrum receivers are inexpensive on the front end. Cheap can become expensiverather quickly.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

If you install an adaquate power system for your application you wont have "brown outs"

Any receiver will shut down if you drag the voltage down far enough.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:00 AM
pilotpete2

Very good point, but needs one critical clarification. If the Spektrum receivers in question are not at the latest firmware level to provide "quick connect" then a brown out can be a serious issue. It is also important to note that there is no truth to the myth that "if your batteries are adequate you'll be fine, wrong. I know of one instance where a 50cc aerobatic model kept logging a brownout on a 9 channel Spektrum. even though the power was being provided by an expensive dual regulated lions, it took a change to A123 cells to eliminate the problem. If the receiver in this instance had not been "quick connect", well, write off one airframe. This past summer I had a cold solder joint in a switch harness fail and make intermittant contact, the receiver in question was the fasst R607FS, yes, you can get glitches on 2.4, but I was able to fafely land the plane, if I had a non-quick connect Spektrum, I'd have lost the plane, no question. The importance of a Spektrum receiver being up to date cannot be over stated
I fly both fasst and Spektrum systems, my preference is for fasst, but the Skektrum receivers I have used have been fine also. With what we know today, flying and older Spektrum receiver that is not "QC" is a bad idea, considering that the cost of getting one updated is limited to the cost of mailing it in to Horizon. When I hear someone say that since they've not had a problem yet, why bother with the update. I have a mental image of Alfred E. Newman on the cover of Mad magazine "What, Me worry".

Cloudancer03,
I too fly with a 9C, I have the TM-8 fasst and DM8 Spektrum modules. I just recently retired the 9C to backup and for flying BNF models and went with the Futaba 8FG as my primary radio. The current coupon deal on the 8FG and extra 7 channel receiver for 10 bucks, brings the cost of the 8FG down close to the DX7 price level. The 8FG is a big improvement on the 9C for easy of programming and flexibility.
Good luck with whatever your decision is,
Pete
Old 02-19-2010, 11:19 AM
jmohn

Just get the latest firmware on your Spektrum recievers or trade them in for new ones with Quick connect and you'll be fine.
I lost four planes to brown outs even using a power supply with plenty of battery. We used to call the "brown-outs" glitches, but the digial stuff needs to re-boot and that can take 3 to 15 seconds. Plenty of time to crash a plane

No problems on any of my planes after the upgrade to quick connect.

Jeff
Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
draftman1

going to Futaba isnt going to solve the problem, you should be running 6 volt packs. I have had the futaba brown out with the 4.8 packs, granted any low voltage will cause it, the 6 volts just give you longer flying time. if you are looking at a different system because you dont feel comfortable with it, that is understandable also. check out the new Hitec aurora, way more features than the spectrum and the recievers are cheaper also
Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM
MikeMayberry

It's not just receiver batteries but the BEC's used in ESC's for electric flight; some of these are incredibly weak even though they claim a high amperage and the voltage can sag with more powerful and/or digital servos thus causing a brown out.

FYI: The Hitec Optima 2.4Ghz receivers have the ability to power the RX independently of the servos with up to 35v, thus eliminating any possibility of a brown out. This means you can tap the power of the main flight battery so even if the servos overload the BEC, you will never lose control.

Mike.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:07 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike - are there two battery connections on the Optima receivers, so you can separate the RX supply from the servo supply, or does that have to be done externally?

Old 02-19-2010, 03:12 PM
MikeMayberry

Yes, they are separate. Details here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1416

FAQ's on the Aurora and Optima RX's can also be found here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9247572/tm.htm

Mike.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:12 PM
cloudancer03

when flying my glow planes I would be first to aree that using 4.8 leaves you wide open for signal lockouts..which is why I use 6 volts.but my brownout occurred with my favorite 3d electr 2 times. I learned I could spend 6 bucks and get a spectrum capcitor tor prtevent that.but you could still experience a signal lockout albeit lasting a couple nano seconds..but I changed back to futaba and am very pleased.

pilot pete I was going to convert my 9c to 2.4 but am re-considering and thinking of buying the new futaba 8 2.4 tx..I'm pretty sure thats what I want to do..

I dont like to bash any product and respect spectrum and understand that the newst ones out have upgraded the firmware.regrettably mine was older.but I always was a loyal futaba person and guess thats where I am most comfortable.now I just worry about my flying and not if the system will cause a crash.

I am hearing good things about the hi tech 2.4 system and for that matter airtronics has entered the 2.4 market .it's where the hobby is going and frankly its a good thing for all of us.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:01 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

there is no truth to the myth that ''if your batteries are adequate you'll be fine, wrong. I know of one instance where a 50cc aerobatic model kept logging a brownout on a 9 channel Spektrum. even though the power was being provided by an expensive dual regulated lions, it took a change to A123 cells to eliminate the problem. (quote)

Pete, I have to disagree here, Just because the batteries were li-ion, doesn't mean they were adequate. The successful switch to A123 proves they weren't. Many people run 2 cell li-ions and don't realize that they can only provide 4amp. Dual batteries mean you have 8amps available at full charge. A 50cc airplane can easily draw 5 amps at times during normal flight. Maybe more under certain conditions and pull the battery voltage way down especially if they're not fully charged.

In contrast the A123 can deliver 30 plus amps so, problem solved.

I still have one early gen, spekrum AR9000 without the firmware update and have not issues but, the key is you have to have adequate batteries, speed control/bec in electric.

Mike

Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the Futaba and Spektrum no Hitec, and so far no brown outs. If you have not already done so you might want to consider a seperate BEC from the one on your ESC. The higher voltage going to the ESC the lower amperage you get on your BEC, this can create your brown out with any system. I have a GP 40 size Stick thats electric. Its been fine but I am still going to a seperate BEC just to make sure there won't be any issues.

Just a thought.

Andy
Old 02-27-2010, 04:08 PM
pilotpete2

Hi Mike,
In this case the dual lions were top of the line Fromeco's. Much more bucks than the 2S 2300mAh A123 pack.
As far as flying an AR9000 without quick connect. I would ground it until its updated. One blip in power due to a connectivity issue and you're airplane is toast. I flew for over 20 years without a problem caused by a harness, until last season
Pete
Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM
cloudancer03

I think pete said it nicely.if your using older software with spectrum rx your just a crash away and at least need to update the firmware and use the 6 dollar part you simply plug in to an unused channel. I feel its not good judgement nto simply say in this case if it anit broke why fix it..

for me I preferred to return to fasst and not worry at all.as for batteries I have tossed all my 4.8v batteries .yes some will argue that is stupid but with 2.4 and digital serv os hungry for power I think going a123 or 6 v is a better solution.

as for radios I simply preferred the fasst sytem and have used futaba for many years..it's simply a persoal preference and respect anyone who choses another brand.it's all about having fun..