Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Correct Wiring Sequence for Ignition Voltage Regulator

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Correct Wiring Sequence for Ignition Voltage Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:53 AM
GoMets
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Wiring Sequence for Ignition Voltage Regulator

I have an MPI MK3 Voltage Regulator for a Saito ignition and unsure of the correct wiring sequence. The guy at MPI I biught it from wasn't too convinceing either. I have a 6.0 v pack I'm trying to regulate to 5.5v

I have it set up now as:

Battery to Switch
Switch to Voltage Regulator
Voltage Regulator to Ignition

Can somebody please tell me if this is correct? Thanks

bob
Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Correct Wiring Sequence for Ignition Voltage Regulator

Yup; if you put the regulator between the battery and switch it can drain the battery since the regulator will pull some power.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 PM
GoMets
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zeeb,

Thanks. I tried this last night and it did not seem like I was getting a spark. The engine is a total mess (Saito FG-20) and after messing around for a few hours took I eventually took off the VR and just used the switch and battery and got a spark.

I should be able to put a voltmeter in place of the igniton and see what it is drawing correct? Then I can adjust the volts in on the adjustment dial. At least that's the way the terribly written manual alludes to. Does that seem correct?

thanks again

bob
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Umm.... not exactly.....

First question and pardon my ignorance 'cause I'm not familiar with that engine or ignition; why do you want to regulate the ignition voltage, is it restricted to 6.0 volts or something? A lot of the ignition modules while rated at 6 volts can take an unregulated 5 cell NiMH/NiCD battery which comes off the charger at 7.2 volts dropping pretty quickly into the high 6 volt range, other modules don't like that and some like a 3W require unregulated 2 cell Li-Po/Li-Ion voltages.

Second question; are you sure the battery you're using is in good shape and fully charged? I know that's a simple one, but you'd be surprised how many folks chase ignition issues only to find out their battery isn't up to snuff.

As for volt checking, well you have to remember that measures potential only not current flow, so unless you can measure the voltage both at rest and under a load that won't tell you much. Measuring the amperage while a device is in use will give you a better idea of what's going on and in cases of problematic batteries what happens is the voltage measures okay at rest and falls off dramatically under load. Ignitions don't draw a lot of current, but it MUST be available at an appropriate voltage/amperage when the module asks for it or it isn't 'gonna play.

You could also have a faulty regulator.

Sorry 'bout the questions and suggestions if you're already aware, but it's kind of hard to try and diagnose problems when you're not familiar with the equipment and don't know how savvy the person you're trying to help is, so I'm trying to cover the basics as they apply to all the gassers.