Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

throttle cut switch with ESC

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Mike in DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle cut switch with ESC

Bear with me, I'm relatively new to electric. I've got my transmitter set up, and everything works. Then, for no good reason, I touched the Throttle Cut button on my transmitter. What happened was that the motor powered up, and I couldn't turn it off. This happened with both a Hitec Flash 5 and a Futaba 6EX. Is this normal? Is this something electric flyers all know about? I'm afraid I might accidently touch the throttle cut-off, and not be able to land the plane.

This was a Castle Creations Thunderbird ESC. I have another electric plane with a different ESC, and it doesn't do this. So, is the problem the ESC?

I feel like I'm missing something here. Never really thought about it, actually.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
tdmoss61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: throttle cut switch with ESC

I am not familiar with the 6ex or flash 5, but I do have a dx6i. On mine I have the throttlecut inhibited, and have the button assigned to the timer function. there should be a way to inhibit the throttle cutfunction in your radios and/or maybe assign it to something else. Check your manual.................TD
Old 07-24-2010, 08:35 AM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On most (if not all) radios, you have to set up throttle cut (via the TX) so that when you activate it, it will reduce the throttle setting to some point the motor will not run. Since each motor and ESC combination is different, there is no single throttle cut setup that will automatically kill the motor. Check your manual for the throttle cut function and see if it tells you how to program this function.

Woodie
Team Acme LG
Old 07-24-2010, 09:08 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about Hitec, but Futaba throttle is the opposite sense from all other radios, so if your set up is such that throttle cut is "down", that will look like Futaba to "up".

Les