RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   FRSky Taranis Beginners Support Group (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11614520-frsky-taranis-beginners-support-group.html)

Old Nate 10-01-2021 01:59 PM

New Taranis X9 Lite S question:

I just purchased an X9 Lite S. When I look for firmware updates using TX companion it continually returns "Firmware update check failed, new version not found or invalid." Does this mean I have a problem or that there is no firmware update for this radio yet?
Thanks Much -- Nate

Old Nate 10-01-2021 02:13 PM

TX Companion question.

I'm new to RC in general so this question may have an obvious answer. I set up my first little model in TX Companion. It uses just two channels. One for throttle and one for steering. In companion the throttle is set up on CH 1 and the steering on CH 2.and that's how it shows up in the simulator.When I transferred the program to the radio (Taranis X9 Lite S) and ran it, the steering was on CH 2 but the throttle was on CH 4. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks Much - Nate

tedsander 10-01-2021 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Old Nate (Post 12696761)
I just purchased an X9 Lite S. When I look for firmware updates using TX companion it continually returns "Firmware update check failed, new version not found or invalid." Does this mean I have a problem or that there is no firmware update for this radio yet?
Thanks Much -- Nate

Apparently there was something with the 3rd party software libraries that Companion installs/uses that has started to break. No confirmation, but I'd guess a Windows update hurt it. In any event, the OpenTX team has already fixed for the latest version, 2.3.14. Download and install Companion again. Verify by opening Companion and going to "Help" and "About", and check that the date is very recent (like only a couple of days old, if that). Some people report that the update still gives them an old date. That means your browser stored a copy before, and used that instead of the newest one. Empty the browser cache, and try again. No word yet on whether Companion for earlier versions needs the fix, or will be getting it, yet.

tedsander 10-01-2021 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Old Nate (Post 12696765)
I'm new to RC in general so this question may have an obvious answer. I set up my first little model in TX Companion. It uses just two channels. One for throttle and one for steering. In companion the throttle is set up on CH 1 and the steering on CH 2.and that's how it shows up in the simulator.When I transferred the program to the radio (Taranis X9 Lite S) and ran it, the steering was on CH 2 but the throttle was on CH 4. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks Much - Nate

Let's start simple. Are you looking at the MIXING tab (in Companion) or MIXING page on the radio? In either case that is where the control on the radio (a "source") is linked to a channel going out to the receiver. They should both be the same.
Do not confuse this with things listed on the INPUTS tab/page. That has nothing to do with Channels. It is just a numbered list, and items can be in any order, A control does not even have to be listed here, and can still be used over in MIXING.

I wrote a little more about Inputs and Mixing in posts 300-306, so you might want to see if any of that helps.

Old Nate 10-02-2021 03:01 PM

Thanks Ted,
The new download solved the problem. I got the latest firmware update for my TX.
Best to You -- Nate

Old Nate 10-02-2021 03:10 PM

Hi Ted,
I'm looking at the channel output on the TX Companion and it is showing the throttle action on CH1. I have a kill scenario programed on CH 1 and it works on the Companion simulator. When I transferred the program to my TX the motors on my model did not run. I was looking around on the TX and saw that CH 4 was responding when I moved the throttle. I moved the ESC plug from CH 1 to CH 4 and the motors started working. Could this have something to do with the Mode setting or the channel order defaults set in Companion?
Thanks so much -- Nate

tedsander 10-02-2021 07:55 PM

Save the file from Companion, and attach it here. You'll have the change the ".otx" extension to ".txt" to be accepted. I'll take a look at that part of it.
Modes won't do that, ever. Channel order only comes into play when using either the Wizard to set up a model, or when using the "just create the model" option in Companion. But one is free to use any channel order one wants for any setup. So it is a bit puzzling.
What receiver are you using?

Old Nate 10-03-2021 08:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm using a FrSky Archer GR8 - 8 Channel ACCESS Vario Receiver.
The Companion file is attached.
Thanks Much - Nate

tedsander 10-03-2021 02:30 PM

Good on the receiver - meaning nothing odd about it. I was a bit afraid you were trying to use some other crazy off brand. Very standard, so nothing to worry about there.
I set companion to emulate the X9 Lite S, which you said you have, but the file complained that it was for an X9 Lite, which is an earlier model. There shouldn't be any real issue currently beyond that, but it would be best if you change the radio type in your copy of Companion to reflect the correct model. That will make sure that you get the correct firmware in the future, and not something that may only sort of work. (Settings, Settings, and the second line that says "Radio Type". Of course, if you did already update the firmware...better redo it with the correct one.
Your file looks good, and should be working correctly on the radio. The Elevator stick (right up-dwn) controlling Ch1 for your throttle, and the Aileron stick (right left-right) for steering
Note that on the Inputs tab, you can change the name of the new source from the default. So "Ail" could be "Str", which may make things clearer in Mixing so you don't have to translate from the aircraft names as often. There is a way to change the actual stick name, but that effects all models, and could actually lead to more confusion.
Are you using differing "Stick Modes" on the radio? ie Mode 1, where the non centering stick is on the right? If you don't tell Companion, under the Settings about that, it will use Mode 2 as a default. And then in the radio things get moved around in an attempt to correct it. Or vice versa. They need to be the same. That may be where the problem lies....

Old Nate 10-03-2021 03:14 PM

I'll bet I do have a mode mismatch as you suggested. I'll check it out and let you know!
Corrected the radio type in Companion.
Thanks again for the help -- Nate

Old Nate 10-05-2021 03:50 PM

Hi Ted,
I set TX Companion to Mode 2 and EATR and created the model again from scratch. That put the throttle and steering on the stick I wanted and on the first two channels. This should work for me for the long term since I intend to only work with vehicles and robotics. Now both throttle and steering are on the correct (first 2) channels on the TX. I did run into some interesting complications on the way though.
When I copied the model to the TX it wiped out all the TX settings (didn't do that on the first copy) including the calibration of the sticks. When I finally got that all worked through everything worked fine. I also discovered that the TX cannot read a micro SD over 32 GB.
What is the best way to move models back and forth between Companion and the TX without corrupting the TX settings?. I thought about initializing a model on the TX first so it would have all the correct TX settings. I also considered moving all models back and forth via the SD.
Boy, this is quite a learning curve. I'm 3D printing all my models and learning RC at the same time!
Thanks again for all your help-- Nate

tedsander 10-05-2021 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Old Nate (Post 12697308)
Hi Ted,
I set TX Companion to Mode 2 and EATR and created the model again from scratch. That put the throttle and steering on the stick I wanted and on the first two channels. This should work for me for the long term since I intend to only work with vehicles and robotics. Now both throttle and steering are on the correct (first 2) channels on the TX. I did run into some interesting complications on the way though.
When I copied the model to the TX it wiped out all the TX settings (didn't do that on the first copy) including the calibration of the sticks. When I finally got that all worked through everything worked fine. I also discovered that the TX cannot read a micro SD over 32 GB.
What is the best way to move models back and forth between Companion and the TX without corrupting the TX settings?. I thought about initializing a model on the TX first so it would have all the correct TX settings. I also considered moving all models back and forth via the SD.
Boy, this is quite a learning curve. I'm 3D printing all my models and learning RC at the same time!
Thanks again for all your help-- Nate

As long as Companion and the TX are the same mode, you can use any channel order you want. The defaults you assign just are used if creating a model using the "wizard" or by "just create" in Companion. If you roll your own, or want to move anything from one channel to another, at any time, you can.
Get your radio setup as you like it for all the things in the System Setup. Do a calibration. Create one dummy model just to have something, if you don't already have something created..
Hitch it up to your computer, and import it into Companion.
In the window that lists the model, click on the entry at the top ""Edit Radio Settings".
In the new window that opens, note the box in the lower right "Store calib. and hw settings in selected profile". Click on it.
That saves all that to Companion, so future downloads don't overwrite those items on the radio. (but see below) You can close the file, and skip saving it.
Note that when uploading/downloading Companion acts on the entire list. Say you have 4 models on the radio. You open Companion, don't import, and just create a new file, with just one model in position 5 (all the others blank). When you download, on the radio all the other models will be overwritten with blanks, leaving just #5 on the radio. I always upload first, then do my changes on that, and then download back to the radio. Since that file already has all the system/calibration embedded from the upload it just goes back as it was. The "Store calib..." step done above is just in case you do a fresh download, without starting from an upload. Of course, you can save the complete model list as a file on your PC as a backup, as desired, and then just download it you want to restore as it was to the radio.

None of the black and white radios store model data to the SD card, they are all kept in the radio's eeprom. So no way to transfer via the card. The SD is only for sounds, images, scripts, and telemetry logs (and a few other secondary items). The radio can work without an SD card at all, although the listed items will not work correctly, and it will complain. Yep, it is getting to be a challenge to find "small" SD cards. I needed one last week, and my local Best Buy only had one, stuck in the back of the rack. Sales guy didn't even know they had them anymore!

BTW - for relatively less complex models, it is possible for the eeprom to store well over 250! But that's crazy to manage, so some kind of batch system for storing on the PC, and downloading when needed would probably be in order at that high of a count.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...9de1bade8d.jpg

Old Nate 10-06-2021 05:19 AM

Ted - Thank you very much - Nate

tedsander 10-06-2021 05:39 AM

I should note that some of the developers recommend doing a calibration after a download from Companion. I've never had an issue, and tested it a lot, but it sounds like a good, if irksome, practice.

sdemit 11-05-2021 12:03 AM

The engine is a MVVS 26 cc gasser with MVVS ignition. I have an Rcexcel ignition electronic cut-off switch installed on one of those channels for the ignition. I'm powering the radio with a 2 cell 2600mah A123 battery pack through an Electrodynamics Super Switch.

RadialWacko 11-05-2021 12:29 AM

I know this is a Taranis thread, but anyone know how to get the SxR to work on the x20 (ethos) with a pull-pull rudder? The elevator works, but the rudder movement makes no sense. I see there is a setting for gyro in the mixers, but still not really sure how to go about that...

Hyjinx 11-05-2021 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by RadialWacko (Post 12701339)
I know this is a Taranis thread, but anyone know how to get the SxR to work on the x20 (ethos) with a pull-pull rudder? The elevator works, but the rudder movement makes no sense. I see there is a setting for gyro in the mixers, but still not really sure how to go about that...

Hey AllSlightly different but... My radio running 2.2.2 lost it's voice for an evening flight session, just haptic and beeps at startup and telemetry loss notifications swamping during close operation etc.
A small box in upper right of screen with an exclamation point in it showed up unexpectedly also. Flew next day and everything back to normal
1 should I be concerned about signal loss if the radio does this again as I was when I risked flight without voice notifications?
2 Is there a simple way to overcome the no sound experience if it happens again.
There have been no changes to this radio or FW recently.
I have updated all my recievers that would not bind from Aloft. They all bind/work now but I had to use the "history" FW. None of the FW update updates that fix the bugs will bind to either of my radios running 2.2.2 and 2.3.14 with any of the Frisky updates.
Same question as above. Am I risking my airframes flying with the "history" FW in x series receivers.
Thanks
Aaron-

rgburrill 11-05-2021 04:10 AM

Hijacked

Hyjinx 11-05-2021 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by rgburrill (Post 12701352)
Hijacked

How do I get through the cockpit door to neutralize the offenders? ( If that comment was to me. Lol)

tedsander 11-05-2021 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hyjinx (Post 12701351)
Hey AllSlightly different but... My radio running 2.2.2 lost it's voice for an evening flight session, just haptic and beeps at startup and telemetry loss notifications swamping during close operation etc.
A small box in upper right of screen with an exclamation point in it showed up unexpectedly also. Flew next day and everything back to normal
1 should I be concerned about signal loss if the radio does this again as I was when I risked flight without voice notifications?
2 Is there a simple way to overcome the no sound experience if it happens again.
There have been no changes to this radio or FW recently.
I have updated all my recievers that would not bind from Aloft. They all bind/work now but I had to use the "history" FW. None of the FW update updates that fix the bugs will bind to either of my radios running 2.2.2 and 2.3.14 with any of the Frisky updates.
Same question as above. Am I risking my airframes flying with the "history" FW in x series receivers.
Thanks
Aaron-

Sounds like there is a problem with the SD card, where the sound files are stored and accessed when needed. I'd replace the card and download all new files for it. No, those errors will not give any flight related problems, if it is just related to the card.

There is a completely separate update that needs to be done to the transmitting module in the radio (this has nothing to do with OpenTX) to move things to ver 2 ACCST protocols. It is available on the Frsky site.
Then the receivers also have to be updated to ver 2,x to work with the transmitter.
If you want to stay with what is currently working, there is a very small chance you may run across the "Uncommanded Servo Movement (USM)" bug. It is pretty unlikely, but your decision as to how much risk you want to take.

tedsander 11-05-2021 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by RadialWacko (Post 12701339)

Probably beyond the scope of anyone reading this thread. Go to RCGroups for much more active discussions about the SxR receivers, and the Ethos system.

Hyjinx 11-05-2021 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by tedsander (Post 12701362)
Sounds like there is a problem with the SD card, where the sound files are stored and accessed when needed. I'd replace the card and download all new files for it. No, those errors will not give any flight related problems, if it is just related to the card.

There is a completely separate update that needs to be done to the transmitting module in the radio (this has nothing to do with OpenTX) to move things to ver 2 ACCST protocols. It is available on the Frsky site.
Then the receivers also have to be updated to ver 2,x to work with the transmitter.
If you want to stay with what is currently working, there is a very small chance you may run across the "Uncommanded Servo Movement (USM)" bug. It is pretty unlikely, but your decision as to how much risk you want to take.

Very helpful Ted!
May have turned on another light in my closet.
Maybe the tx update would have made it possible to bind these Rx units before I blasted them back to "history" fw.
I have been surprised at my ability to update fw. Went very easy and didn't take forever. Maybe I update the tx, reflash the receivers to the recent bug free offerings on Frskys update pages.
Thanks for all your help.

tedsander 11-06-2021 05:16 AM

You might be interested in this development! Receiver software that detects which version you have on your TX, and uses the correct one as needed. You can also bind the receiver to two different TX's, so one can be a backup. https://forum.alofthobbies.com/index...s-coming.2252/

Hyjinx 11-06-2021 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by tedsander (Post 12701473)
You might be interested in this development! Receiver software that detects which version you have on your TX, and uses the correct one as needed. You can also bind the receiver to two different TX's, so one can be a backup. https://forum.alofthobbies.com/index...s-coming.2252/

yes Ted
I read about this on Alofts forum last week. I think it is out for widespread use now, anybody here using it yet?
I suspect the receivers I got from aloft were the V1 or V2. I blasted them all back to History fw to get them to bind.
I may try this to experience the additional features incorporated.

Jim.Thompson 09-22-2022 03:24 PM

Double Post.