RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   2.4 Ghz - Failure rate comparaison between manufacturers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/6740110-2-4-ghz-failure-rate-comparaison-between-manufacturers.html)

ljones5000 07-10-2008 07:37 AM

RE: 2.4 Ghz - Failure rate comparaison between manufacturers

Five planes on FASST since August 2007, no problems...but heck, it's only been 11 months.

TLH101 07-10-2008 03:08 PM

At this point in the survey, I notice there have been 131 votes, with 17 having lost an airplane to a 2.4 system. That's a 13% loss rate with 2.4. This suggests, that:

either there are some people manipulating the survey,

2.4mhz is really a bad idea,

or an awful lot a crashed aircraft are blamed on radios, when maybe there is a set-up problem.

I tend to believe it is the last option. I have been back into R/C for 13 years this time and have seen many, many, crashes blamed on radio problems, but very few have actually proved to be a radio problem. I myself have had several issues that I first believed to radio, but later turned out to be set-up. I am not sure I have ever had a crash, that absolutely was a radio failure. I can say I have only seen 3 or 4, at the most, that I know for sure were radio failure.

ACES&8s 07-10-2008 11:49 PM

I heard the Futaba system has a problem. The manufacturer blames the 2.7 volt signal pulse, since msot eq uses 3.0 volts. So the servos must be Futaba.

To me...I hear scuttlebut that Futaba don't work, and contrary to the Spektrum. JR I hear nothing. Normally I'd buy a JR. I'm not that wealthy. So my conclusion is to go with Spektrum.

My question, is the talk about Futaba bull, that IT really is rock solid with all Futaba equipment?

Or does Futaba need to rethink the Fasst electronics, or start over?

ljones5000 07-11-2008 06:44 AM

Survey says..........3 crashes out of 57 respondents. And were they radio failures, or?????????????

DougV 07-11-2008 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: DrDiscus

I heard the Futaba system has a problem. The manufacturer blames the 2.7 volt signal pulse, since msot eq uses 3.0 volts. So the servos must be Futaba.

To me...I hear scuttlebut that Futaba don't work, and contrary to the Spektrum. JR I hear nothing. Normally I'd buy a JR. I'm not that wealthy. So my conclusion is to go with Spektrum.

My question, is the talk about Futaba bull, that IT really is rock solid with all Futaba equipment?

You’re misinform, the only FASST receiver with low (2.7) voltage is the 6014, and is only an issue with the 6014 when you Y two Hitec digital servos together.

I have 16 airplanes/Helis with FASST system using JR/Futaba/Hitec servos, No issues.

Regards,
Doug.

GalenB 07-11-2008 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: DrDiscus

I've been using FASST for months w/out any problems at all. I personally think FASST is better, but there is nothing wrong with JR/Spektrum so buy the one you like, or can afford, and go fly. As far as scuttlebut about JR/Spektrum problems, there have been several and they have been discussed ad nauseam on this site...

ExcaliburIII 07-14-2008 09:50 AM

I think the FASST system is far superior to the others in most respects but there appears to be a few bad recievers floating around. My R617 will go red if I leave it in the sun without the custom sunshade and my KISS white towel over the fuselage. Maybe I'll send it back for a replacement if I can stomach going back to my 7UAF for who knows how long.
[&o]
Rich

mr502go 07-14-2008 01:54 PM

something we are forgetting here is that all these statistics we have here are percentages of the total. Ok, so we know how many people use what system vs what system as it relates to the whole, but the failure rate really doesn't give a comparison. For instance as things stand at the time of my posting there are 76 total Spektrum/JR users 12 of whom have lost aircraft, that's 15% failure of the population USING that system. There are 81 people using Fassst, with 7 people that have lost aircraft. . .a 9% failure of the population USING that radio. The Xtreme link crowd has a total of 32 users, 7 of whom lost aircraft yielding a 22% failure of the population using Xtreme link. Because of the way the poll is set up, it shows a 3% rate for XPS, a 6% rate for Spektrum, and 3% for Fassst. It is doing this, again, because the percentage calculations are made based on the total population of 2.4Ghz users in this sample population.

As far as Spektrum vs. Futaba. I have witnessed at least two people in my club fight severe lockouts with their spektrum systems. One of the guys, who had intermittent lock outs, sent his DX7 in, and they replaced his transmitter and no more problems. There seem to be more Futaba units at our field, and I've yet to witness or hear of any hint of a problem with any of them. The system just makes more sense IMO. I have a new 10C, but haven't converted my ac over to 2.4 yet.

The 2.7v problem w/the 6014 does concern and annoy me, but they clearly warn you in the manual of the receiver's limitations in that regard. So, no big deal where that's concerned.

Flyfalcons 07-14-2008 02:03 PM

The 2.7V thing is only an issue with Hitec 5955s, and Hitec will update those servos if you send them back in. I'm not sure why people seem to think it's Futaba's problem when EVERY SINGLE OTHER SERVO does just fine on 2.7V. Hmmmm, maybe that says that Hitec 5955s demand higher signal voltage than any other servo?

TLH101 07-14-2008 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: mr502go

something we are forgetting here is that all these statistics we have here are percentages of the total. Ok, so we know how many people use what system vs what system as it relates to the whole, but the failure rate really doesn't give a comparison. For instance as things stand at the time of my posting there are 76 total Spektrum/JR users 12 of whom have lost aircraft, that's 15% failure of the population USING that system. There are 81 people using Fassst, with 7 people that have lost aircraft. . .a 9% failure of the population USING that radio. The Xtreme link crowd has a total of 32 users, 7 of whom lost aircraft yielding a 22% failure of the population using Xtreme link. Because of the way the poll is set up, it shows a 3% rate for XPS, a 6% rate for Spektrum, and 3% for Fassst. It is doing this, again, because the percentage calculations are made based on the total population of 2.4Ghz users in this sample population.
And don't forget that small group that spends all their time bashing XPS. How many of them, may have "skewed" the XPS numbers?
There is really no way to get accurate numbers on an internet poll, so they definitely needs some "interpretation".