RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   dual elevator on a DX6i ?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/7321097-dual-elevator-dx6i.html)

firebrad 04-02-2008 08:53 AM

dual elevator on a DX6i ??

I am building a 1/3 scale clipped wing cub, and am finally going to take the 2.4 plunge... Does anyone know if I can set up the mixing for dual elevator servos on the DX6i, or if I need to purchase a reversing splitter?
Thanks,
Brad

rmh 04-02-2008 08:59 AM

RE: dual elevator on a DX6i ??

It CAN be done -- but takes both mixes (1&2) and the retract channel to be used for the second channel
You have to make the retract channel into a PORPORTIONAL setup first - (mix1) then mix elev to retract. (mix2)
I will let you figure out how this is done
why spoil the fun!!

rhd-RCU 04-02-2008 12:24 PM

Why not just mix el to gear and under switch have on. Then just activate the trim

rmh 04-02-2008 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: rhd-RCU

Why not just mix el to gear and under switch have on. Then just activate the trim
try it

firebrad 04-06-2008 01:50 AM

You have to make the retract channel into a PORPORTIONAL setup first -
OK, I give up... How do I make the gear channel proportional?

netdudeuk 04-06-2008 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: firebrad

I am building a 1/3 scale clipped wing cub, and am finally going to take the 2.4 plunge... Does anyone know if I can set up the mixing for dual elevator servos on the DX6i, or if I need to purchase a reversing splitter?
Thanks,
Brad
Post #2 here [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7051310/anchors_7054901/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7054901[/link] says it all for the DX7

rhd-RCU 04-06-2008 09:19 AM

Just do as I told you and put both pecentages to 100%. You want the mix to always be on. The mix is making it proportional.

firebrad 04-06-2008 09:22 AM

Thanks for the response Net Dude, but this question is for the DX6i - not the DX7. The only extra channels are GEAR and AUX1. AUX1 is already used up with dual ailerons,I need to get the gear channel proportional so it can be mixed to control half of the elevator.

Brad

firebrad 04-06-2008 09:29 AM

Just do as I told you and put both pecentages to 100%. You want the mix to always be on. The mix is making it proportional
I have tried 100%, 125%, 80% .... and it doesn't make any difference. Even with the mix on all of the time the GEAR switch still has non proportional control. Switch on and the elevator half is about 40% up with full down travel - opposite if switch is down. it will travel both ways, but not evenly. There is not near enough subtrim to equalize the elevator halves and get the same travel on both sides.

Brad

Zeeb 04-06-2008 10:05 AM

The DX6i is really a neat little radio but I think you're pushing your luck trying to get this little tx to do what is normally found only in much more expensive radios...:eek:

I've programmed the gear channel on a 6 channel rx to work with my DX7 but haven't looked into it with my DX6i. If I get a chance to play around with it today I'll give it a shot and tell you what I found.

In the meantime, and I'm working from memory here so it may be a bit fuzzy; when working with the gear channel on the smaller tx's IIRC you have to disable or "INH" that channel/switch in some cases. In others you mix it to match the master channel with the gear channel active but set to 0% so the gear switch does not work and mess things up.

firebrad 04-06-2008 10:15 AM

Thanks ZEEB,
I will keep messing with it. I guess I can always go with a reverser, I just don't like the idea of flying a 30 lb plane with (2) large digital servos in the same reciever jack.

rhd-RCU 04-06-2008 06:04 PM

Mr Hanson was correct. You have to use two mixes. In mix one , mix gear to gear. Put both values at -100 %. Have switch on. In mix 2 mix el to gear with both values at 100 % Have switch on and trim act. You might also have to reverse one servo. This setup worked on mine.

rmh 04-06-2008 07:15 PM

Mr Hanson was correct. You have to use two mixes. In mix one , mix gear to gear. Put both values at -100 %. Have switch on. In mix 2 mix el to gear with both values at 100 % Have switch on and trim act. You might also have to reverse one servo. This setup worked on mine.
Great!
I knew you would get it .---

firebrad 04-07-2008 02:38 AM

Looks like I am stuck with a revo mixer then, The dual aileron setup already uses MIX 2 / AUX 1

Thanks for your inputs
Brad

rhd-RCU 04-07-2008 08:23 AM

Do not use a mixer for the ailerons. Go into setup list and choose wing tail mix. There choose dual aileron. I just set up a Stinger 120 doing this way. It has dual el and ail.

firebrad 04-07-2008 08:26 AM

Do not use a mixer for the ailerons. Go into setup list and choose wing tail mix. There choose dual aileron. I just set up a Stinger 120 doing this way. It has dual el and ail.
Thanks!
I will try that!

firebrad 04-07-2008 02:12 PM

rhd-RCU,
That works great! Thanks for spelling it out for me.
Brad:D

rhd-RCU 04-07-2008 06:52 PM

glad to help

weru 01-04-2009 12:33 PM

I just tried it and it works for me... Thanks!!!

Paulparkflyer 01-10-2009 07:12 AM

Thanks for that,
With being new to RC planes and the DX6 this has been real helpful,

My Cub requires more up than down aileron travel and although I know it can be done mechanically I preferred to do it with the radio to help with easier future adjustments,
"goodbye to the Y harness for me"

Cheers,paul

yojoelay 08-29-2009 07:15 AM

I've just finished setting up my 120 sized Ultimate with the info from this thread - it has dual aileron servos and dual elevator servos. Here are a few more points on this issue.

- Sub-trims can still be adjusted individually - which is nice when you're setting up
- Servo travel needs to be adjusted individually, both up and down, for each channel (i.e. for the aileron, flap, elevator and gear channels - individually, both up and down - a total of 8 adjustments on my Ultimate). Be careful here - I almost sent the plane up with two elevators moving in slightly different travels
- For both the elevator and the ailerons, expo controls both channels - which makes sense because the radio only has expo on the ailerons, elevator and rudder.

I don't have flaps set up on this plane so I'm not sure how that would work.

Joel

vasek 11-30-2018 06:29 PM

If I also have retracts , can I still use dual elev mix ? (crossing fingers)

on_your_six 12-11-2018 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by vasek (Post 12482679)
If I also have retracts , can I still use dual elev mix ? (crossing fingers)

That would be: NO you only have 6 channels to work with. If you are doing all of this, you need a better/more channels radio and receiver.