RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Reason for not upgrading to 2.4 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/8716578-reason-not-upgrading-2-4-a.html)

AA5BY 04-26-2009 12:21 PM

Reason for not upgrading to 2.4

I read the leader to the article about why some are not upgrading and several points were made such as not wanting to reprogram a new transmitter or invest in a new transmitter.

I confess I did not go to the article at the time it popped up and haven't gotten another opportunity to find it but I was left surprised that the reason most often articulated at our field was not mentioned in the leader.... that many simply have too many receivers to replace.

AA5BY 04-26-2009 12:30 PM

RE: Reason for not upgrading to 2.4

Hmmm, I'll respond to my own post... Found the thread and see that it was more of an advertisement that high end Futaba transmitters can be upgraded to 2.4 and thus saving the investment of an expensive radio. Mentioning that upgrading the transmitter would require new receivers was probably not in the best interest of the article.

Sean C 04-26-2009 01:34 PM

My reason:
72 & 75 MHz still work just fine. [&:]

Sir Raleigh 04-26-2009 05:54 PM

Can't afford it, and 72 MHz works just fine for me.

Bill

JPMacG 04-26-2009 05:58 PM

I will go to 2.4 some day. Right now I don't want to replace my Tx and 8 fm receivers. I fly in a small club. So far (in hobby for 11 years) I have had no problem with 72 MHz.

JollyPopper 04-26-2009 06:58 PM

Same two reasons here. My 72 MHz equipment works just fine and I can't afford to replace it all. And God bless all the folks jumping into the 2.4 stampede. It's leaving the 72 MHz. channels wide open. :D I can almost be assured when I go to the field now nobody will be on the channels I am using. No chance of my shooting them down and no chance they will shoot me down. It's working out fine for all of us.;)

tadawson 04-26-2009 07:24 PM

My reason: I fly mainly on 50MHz as a Ham operator, and do not want to give up the pretty much private frequencies at the field, as well as the right to legally work on my own gear.

- Tim

snappa 04-26-2009 08:05 PM

Buy a 10C then, you can use both

redfox435cat 04-27-2009 12:18 AM

A few are leery of 2.4 because of the shortfalls of the first generation gear. The first generation stuff had very limited range and allot of problems syncing and locking out with interference, of course these problems have been alleviated with the new gear but you know what they say about first impressions. As for me it's simply a cost issue, at 100 bucks a receiver I'd be dropping well over a grand in converting everything over so it's just not gonna happen for some time, though I'll get one eventually and transfer over time, I have no issue programming my systems so that not a problem, it just the time involved

ronwc 04-27-2009 10:38 AM

Many reasons for me not jumping on 2.4 -

I have about 30 planes i fly and can't afford 30 rx's

Never really had any problems with 72 mhz (after 45 years) - never really had an problem with AM for that matter - still fly an EK on 26.995 and many Kraft AM single sticks, narrow band with Hitec AM rx's

I have seen many crashes lately (for whatever reason) with 2.4

If i were new getting in the hobby or I flew at an completely unregualted filed, I would probably go with the 2.4 -

tankertoad 04-27-2009 12:43 PM

I just changed over to 2.4 (Futaba 9c with Spektrum Module) and I'm beginning to be sorry I did. My first near-loss was in a 60 size 3d electric running a BEC on a seperate lipo (I know, defeats the purpose, but it's a temp set up) When I ran it on a 4.8v nicad, I think it had a voltage drop and caused a "brown-out". I was able to get it on the ground and hence, switched to the lipo.
I was also running 2.4 in my 50cc and it locked out for 3-5 seconds before it picked back up. It was pure luck the plane wasn't in an attitude that I couldn't recover from in the amount of time I had after the signal came back. I'm pretty sure I know why it happened in the smaller plane, but I can't figure out why it happened in the bigger plane (plenty of volts, antenna placement per the spec..what else?).

I've only had 2.4 for 2 weeks and I nearly lost over $2K in airplanes because of it. I can't believe I still have my planes and I'm not sure where to go from here. Switch at your own risk.

blvdbuzzard 04-27-2009 01:19 PM

The only reason I went 2.4 was I was out of memory slots for my two RD6000, Radiant and was looking for something to replace them. I have now bought five 2.4 Rx's for a total of (8). I am swapping out the 72m for the 2.4 Rx's on my helicopters. I have (1) RDS8000 for helicopters and anther one for fixed wing. I have the RD6000 and the Radiant for smaller planes and so on. All of my stuff has work very well. I have had no real issue with 72, AM or FM. For me it was all about wanting more memory slots.

Dru.

tankertoad 04-27-2009 02:25 PM

I'm hearing that you shouldn't use NiMH or NiCad for the RX on a giant scale. The RX re-boots when the voltage drops below a point. Lithium is the direction I'm looking to go.

onewasp 04-27-2009 04:53 PM

He really asked for REASONS !!!!!!

NOT excuses.
All I see here are misunderstandings and "whistling in the dark".
Yep, the $$$ are real but over rated as you could go 2.4GHz SS on new stuff and stay with the 50/72 MHz with your existing Tx/Rx combos. Currently the "used" price locally is "YOU CANNOT GIVE IT AWAY !!!"
The guys I talk to from all across the country tell me it is the same in their areas
We didn't have a single HAM who did not switch to Spektrum at once.

I switched from six and 72 synthesized the day Spektrum was announced !!!!
I've been Mode 1 since digital Propo was announced so I had to wait two weeks for the Mode 1 availability.
My 10X plus all Rx's were gone in 24 hours So all I had to do was plug in and fly.
:)[8D]:D _)____and I'm STILL flying! Not even a hiccup.

That was 2006 and I still haven't seen or heard of a local flier (we have many clubs) who has "gone in" on 2.4 GHz. While I fly Spektrum that includes the FASST systems too, even though they were "late to the party".

Believe what you wish, _____BUT y'all are way out of date and in some cases totally misinformed!

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink !

tankertoad 04-27-2009 05:19 PM

You're looking at a flier who almost "went in" twice in 2 weeks, on two seperate planes. What I'm learning in this process is voltage, voltage, voltage. Spektrum doesn't tolerate voltage drops caused by big loads from big servos. When you upgrade to 2.4, you have to get serious with your batteries, or you will lose your plane.

Sir Raleigh 04-27-2009 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: tankertoad

You're looking at a flier who almost "went in" twice in 2 weeks, on two seperate planes. What I'm learning in this process is voltage, voltage, voltage. Spektrum doesn't tolerate voltage drops caused by big loads from big servos. When you upgrade to 2.4, you have to get serious with your batteries, or you will lose your plane.
Hummm..... More money to spend.

Bill

8178 04-27-2009 06:00 PM

Has anyone noticed that the latest Tower Talk as two full pages of 72 stuff including a 72 10C and NO DISCOUNTS!! All the discounts are on the 2.4 stuff on the next pages. What’s up with that?

onewasp 04-27-2009 06:01 PM

tankertoad,

YOU are quite misinformed !!!!!

Spektrum reboots faster than you can click a stop watch.
It was a problem for a very few (those who didn't size batteries properly or who don't check their systems prior to flight, though I have only read of it. I have NEVER seen it nor have we had it occur locally. We still have generation one {firmware}Spektrums flying daily.

I fly a full load of high end digitals and have done so since they came out!
NO PROBLEM. We have a 35% Bipe flying DX7 and all digitals on 4.8Volts without problems (I happen to use A123)

Seriously, I feel that the problem is with the operator in your case____simply the way it computes
You have been at this 4 years according to your profile so some reading is in order for you.
I don't wish to seem overly harsh to someone so new to the hobby, but you simply have neither the credentials nor the experience to make a radio system judgment.

Look up XJet and go to his site on 2.4GHz and study it. He is an RF Engineer who is also an RC'r That is an unusual combination!

I will post back with the exact site so that you can get up to date. Even then you will need to keep reading as you can't define SS in a few pages. It is unique. It is the state of the art in RC.

Edit addition: Here is the link I promised: be certain to click forward at the end of each page.
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum01.shtml

Here also is a link on the Quick Connect Firmware update (note the date. This is over two months AFTER it was first available:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7080754

Yet another site: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038506

RegFlyer 04-27-2009 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: 8178

Has anyone noticed that the latest Tower Talk as two full pages of 72 stuff including a 72 10C and NO DISCOUNTS!! All the discounts are on the 2.4 stuff on the next pages. What’s up with that?
2.4 is a hot item to sell, alota people are making the switch becouse they dont have to worry about getting there planes highjacked. i know i did. with alota people wanting the 2.4 they are going to offer good discounts. it the same with cars when the new models come out the dealerships offer cash back or imployee pricing.

tankertoad 04-27-2009 08:07 PM

You're right. I am misinformed. I thought 2.4 was supposed to work.

I've done plenty of reading. THAT'S why I made the switch. I don't really care HOW it works, I only have to know THAT it works, with confidence, and that I am operating it properly.

It seems like there are two schools of people here: Those who have seen problems with 2.4 and those who havent.

Those who have are at least offering suggestions on how to correct what I experienced. Those who haven't seem to be in denial that it could happen.

I make my living flight testing for the Gov't. If I had a nickel for every time an engineer told me "that can't happen, it wasn't DESIGNED that way", I wouldn't have to work for Uncle Sam.

I am sticking with 2.4 because I believe it IS the future and better in every way, but I can't deny that I have experienced something with this system that should be better understood and better addressed. I am contemplating what changes I will make to ensure it never happens again. Here WAS my set up when it failed:

Batt: Expert 2700mah nimh on a heavy-duty switch.
Tx/Rx: Spektrum DSM2 Airmod on a Futaba 9C/AR7000 remote Rx spaced on 12"extension mounted 90 degrees off the primary Rx
Servos: 5 Digital/High-torque
Battery condition after failure: Batt volts - 6.5 used 370 Mah
Plane was pointed at me, at ~300 ft, wings level, pitch level. I lost control for 3-5 secs. The plane went to fail safe. The throttle went to idle and the nose dropped until at about 200 ft, I was able to re-gain control and land.

Should I have not had a loss of signal? Absolutely. Did I have one for longer than it takes to click a stop watch? Absolutely.

If it wasn't a low voltage re-boot, then what was it? I'll gladly take any suggestions on my set up. I'd hate to spend a huge amount of $ on A123s and a battery redundant RX if I don't have to.

My apologies for sounding short or giving the impression that I have any clue what is going on with my set-up. I'm not and I don't. That's why I'm here.

da Rock 04-27-2009 08:32 PM

I've seen a number of what looked like low voltage reboots. Actually, they looked like momentary fail-safes as well. Or loss of signal. All 2.4s......

Good thing, is that although I've got TOO MANY RX's ......... the more of you guys who switch over, the less who'll give me a conflict on my frequencies.

I've got over 10 RXs and don't plan to go 2.4 until my 8103 and my 7202 give me some reason to.

Remember when we had to convert our radios to narrower bands? I took that one in the ear. Radios back then couldn't handle multiple models unless you rigged the models the same. And upgrading was chaos and cost. So I dropped out for years. Made some decent money selling my models back then. Got some good ones now, too.

onewasp 04-27-2009 08:56 PM

#1 Check the Rx to make certain that it has the QC feature. The middle QC site I posted should tell you how. My GUESS you do not.

Reason because if you had you would have the blinking lights upon landing AND it would not have taken seconds to reconnect. The reconnect (reboot) very likely would have precluded any 'failsafe' from appearing ___ yes, it is that fast!

Also it is only through a 'hold' that you would experience a 'failsafe'.
You can check (prove) that with the Spektrum Flight Log which will show 'fades', 'frame losses' and 'holds' following each flight. A $25 expenditure but well justified here.
Particularly where we are trying to ID "ghosts, from gremlins and potential installation problems."

What you describe has been posted here many times (how many of those are accurate I have no way of knowing.) I know that we've had zero recorded since 2006 and we have an unholy number of Spektrum (primarily) and FASST systems (secondary in number) in operation.

However we have only a handful of 'conversions' operating and those are all JR converted to Spektrum. Both the 10X and the XP9303. But zero Futaba to Spektrum.

I fly Precision and have recently (last summer) converted to electric. So I have hands on experience with all power modes.
I fly a bunch and have taken the various installations to the limit of visual orientation and then put it on the deck AND pointed the antenna (worst case operation). Rock steady all aircraft, all power modes ALL THE TIME!!!!!

We have quite a number of newbies on Spektrum (dedicated) and so far not one has had a problem. They all have followed the more experienced fliers regarding battery size and voltage. Virtually all of our "performance fliers" have been on 6volts for quite some time. I vastly favor the A123 unregulated, however that doesn't 'seem' to be your problem. At least not so far.
Under what load was your voltage after landing taken?

Did you do the conversion or did someone else?

Your ground range should be 60 Paces with the antenna pointed and the bind button depressed. In fact I get more than double that. That is both the DX7 and the X9303 which I am presently flying.
JR/Spektrum are well known for extensive range characteristics. As I have owned JR since 1981 I am not familiar with Futaba characteristics on a first hand basis but I do know the Factory (not Hobbico/Tower) but actual Futaba employees. They are a class act.

I don't care how many Gov't. tests you've participated in ______ READ the bloody articles I cited!!!!!

sgtmike74 04-28-2009 04:55 AM

I've been using a RD8000 that hasn't failed me yet. I guess if they ever make it mandatory to switch then I will, until then I'll just keep on flying.

HavinFun 04-28-2009 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: tankertoad

You're right. I am misinformed. I thought 2.4 was supposed to work.

I've done plenty of reading. THAT'S why I made the switch. I don't really care HOW it works, I only have to know THAT it works, with confidence, and that I am operating it properly.

It seems like there are two schools of people here: Those who have seen problems with 2.4 and those who havent.

Those who have are at least offering suggestions on how to correct what I experienced. Those who haven't seem to be in denial that it could happen.

I make my living flight testing for the Gov't. If I had a nickel for every time an engineer told me "that can't happen, it wasn't DESIGNED that way", I wouldn't have to work for Uncle Sam.

I am sticking with 2.4 because I believe it IS the future and better in every way, but I can't deny that I have experienced something with this system that should be better understood and better addressed. I am contemplating what changes I will make to ensure it never happens again. Here WAS my set up when it failed:

Batt: Expert 2700mah nimh on a heavy-duty switch.
Tx/Rx: Spektrum DSM2 Airmod on a Futaba 9C/AR7000 remote Rx spaced on 12"extension mounted 90 degrees off the primary Rx
Servos: 5 Digital/High-torque
Battery condition after failure: Batt volts - 6.5 used 370 Mah
Plane was pointed at me, at ~300 ft, wings level, pitch level. I lost control for 3-5 secs. The plane went to fail safe. The throttle went to idle and the nose dropped until at about 200 ft, I was able to re-gain control and land.

Should I have not had a loss of signal? Absolutely. Did I have one for longer than it takes to click a stop watch? Absolutely.

If it wasn't a low voltage re-boot, then what was it? I'll gladly take any suggestions on my set up. I'd hate to spend a huge amount of $ on A123s and a battery redundant RX if I don't have to.

My apologies for sounding short or giving the impression that I have any clue what is going on with my set-up. I'm not and I don't. That's why I'm here.
I will also be going with the Spektrum module in my 9C soon. From what everybody at the field tells me & from what I've read the spektrum antennae should be folded over & not pointing straight at your aircraft. In your setup you did not mention the position of your antennae, perhaps this might be the case ?

tankertoad 04-28-2009 07:46 AM

I checked for the firmware update. The Rx comes back on with solid lights (no flashing) about 1-2 secs after cycling power. It sounds like what I experienced was indeed common under specific conditions. My system is headed back to Horizon for the update.

onewasp - your guess seems right on. I tested voltage while cycling servos, although I'm sure the airload on the surfaces puts way more load than what I can get on the ground.

havinfun - I keep my Tx antenna at the 45. Since I don't have the updated firmware, I'm leaning toward thinking that was the most likely cause.

One thing I noticed when going from 72 to 2.4 was how much more precise the control feel was. I had to adjust my rates/expos after the first flight with Spektrum. What I probably never noticed was how much voltage drop I was getting with my old set up since 72 tolerates it.

onewasp - Thanks for the mention of A123s. It confirms my decision to go with a better battery set up.

Final resolution - Upgrade batteries - Update firmware.

Thanks to all for the spirited and educational discussion!!

onewasp 04-28-2009 08:50 AM

Thanks for the additional comments.

Now, to unsettle your day.
IF my GUESS is correct then you do have a power problem or an installation problem.

SWAG says check your antennas to make certain that at least one set is always clear of battery pack shadows, engine shadows etc.

I haven't even been able to get that result while trying but it is a potential even if it is a low percentage 'call' based upon my experience.
Again, since you are experiencing problems the Flight Log can save you a lot of guess work as it will give you not only the fades, frame losses and holds if any but will also ID the antenna involved.

While QC (the firmware update) will recover your system let's not ignore the fact that the problem still exists (I.E. the cause).
Only when we find and correct that will you have 'solved' your problem.

onewasp 04-28-2009 09:04 AM

"From what everybody at the field tells me & from what I've read the spektrum antennae should be folded over"

Negative !

Go here:
http://www.team-horizon.com/articles...orientation-ht

Pointing the Tx antenna is always a bad idea _____ but it is a very LOW percentage failure mode.

Zeeb 04-28-2009 09:41 AM

Onewasp, you beat me to posting the antenna orientation link....:)

I think Tankertoad got his answer over on the WildHare support forum, but he didn't read closely enough as it looks like he's not convinced about A123's.... YET....:D

Tankertoad; Just go with the A123's and you won't look back. Tom at WildHare can get you all setup.

tankertoad 04-28-2009 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: onewasp

Thanks for the additional comments.

Now, to unsettle your day.
IF my GUESS is correct then you do have a power problem or an installation problem.

SWAG says check your antennas to make certain that at least one set is always clear of battery pack shadows, engine shadows etc.

I haven't even been able to get that result while trying but it is a potential even if it is a low percentage 'call' based upon my experience.
Again, since you are experiencing problems the Flight Log can save you a lot of guess work as it will give you not only the fades, frame losses and holds if any but will also ID the antenna involved.

While QC (the firmware update) will recover your system let's not ignore the fact that the problem still exists (I.E. the cause).
Only when we find and correct that will you have 'solved' your problem.

If the root cause was power, then that should be covered by a different pack set-up (Lion or A123) plus, I'll go to a Smart-Fly super switch with 2 outputs to the RX to better handle the load through the connectors. I'm also switching to the AR9000 (with updated firmware) and plan to run both remote Rx's. All together, I should be covered for power issues, signal issues and re-boot issues. Am I missing anything?

onewasp 04-28-2009 12:49 PM

Hey Zeeb !!!!

Good to hear from you. The "ancients" get to the finish line first every once in a while.
Now I've got to determine if that was 'IT' for 2009 or if just perhaps I'm getting my form back.:eek:

I'll have to admit that I'm enjoying the new (for me) challenge in electrics. Their flight characteristics are just enough different to make it fun. It certainly spoils you with the instant power aspect and the spin, snap or tumble with zero thought given to power loss or cleaning it out on the way down.
_____besides, I hate the smell of gasoline.[&o]

onewasp 04-28-2009 01:16 PM

If the root cause was power, then that should be covered by a different pack set-up (Lion or A123) plus, I'll go to a Smart-Fly super switch with 2 outputs to the RX to better handle the load through the connectors. I'm also switching to the AR9000 (with updated firmware) and plan to run both remote Rx's. All together, I should be covered for power issues, signal issues and re-boot issues. Am I missing anything?

The only thing missing is the full and complete knowledge of the underlying cause.

IF you are still looking at the pack situation then go A123 PERIOD, paragraph!
The hot set up is that plus an FMA 4-Multi charger. Here: http://www.fmadirect.com/

I use the FMA 10S now but that is because I am also into electrics, which are also A123 powered.
A good friend needed a new power set up for a 40% Bipe so he is using my 4S set up. That's right, 40% one switch and one A123-2300 battery, and one FMA Charger. It works fine and he is on 8611's and 8411's throughout.

I do NOT use any special switches simply a JR A001 gold . We only have one guy (an admitted gadget freak) who uses anything else.
The day he has a problem I'm going to another field! I have never seen so much unnecessary crap in one 35% airplane. He won't have a clue where to look for a fix.

As for battery redundancy or anything in the way of dual switches we are parts count conscious .
If you don't have it, it can't fail. If you don't have it , it also weighs nothing.;)

No extra switches, batteries or regulators in particular. Simply a waste of time and $$$$ in our eyes and that includes some former national champs who are into the "transport" sizes (couldn't resist):D

dirtybird 04-28-2009 01:32 PM

You fliers that don't move to 2.4 might want to go to the gas engine forum and read the interference threads. 2.4 gets rid of all of that.

tadawson 04-28-2009 01:54 PM

Buy a 10C then, you can use both
I can do that with any of my JR gear as well - I just *DON'T WANT TO* . . . . . 2.4 gives me *NOTHING* that I want or need . . . .

- Tim

Rhus 04-28-2009 03:13 PM

I basically started flying with 2.4 and have never had a radio hiccup. I love the antennae being smaller and out of the way. I love not messing with frequency pins like I’ve had to on my cars and trucks. I just sent 5 Rx’s back to have the firmware updated. The turn around time is kind of long right now for some reason. They are telling me 2 weeks and my UPS tracking confirmation says they’ve had it for a week already. :eek:

I finally bought a 2.4 surface radio but I’m down to only 2 trucks. I have, however, found one very significant pitfall to the 2.4[&:]. While I can bind my trucks to one Spektrum Transmitter, I then cannot drive my trucks with my kids unless I buy another 2.4 transmitter and bind one truck to it. In doing so, it sort of negates the need for multiple model memory, unless I rebind it to my main Tx every time I wish to drive the other truck. Seems like kind of a pain. With my old cheapy radios that came with the trucks, there is no problem. With my planes, 2.4 is no problem, but with the new 2.4 equiped trucks it has created a bit of a conundrum. What do the gear heads that own 3,4,5 car/trucks/boats do[X(]? This RC thing can be a bit lonely if you can't share it with friends and family so I need to be able to allow multiple others to drive my various vehicles at the same time. Just running out and buying another Spektrum radio isn't going to happen. In the mean time, I'll be using my DX3R on one truck, and the cheapy Tx on the other.

tankertoad 04-28-2009 03:54 PM

I'm glad you chimed in on the one switch, one battery thing. I stopped by the LHS and came home with a single 4600 Lion on a regulator. Simple, cheap and I don't have to buy a charger.

onewasp 04-28-2009 04:18 PM

Your choice ____________

It certainly is not the one I would have made.

carrellh 04-28-2009 04:28 PM

ORIGINAL: AA5BY
I read the leader to the article about why some are not upgrading and several points were made such as not wanting to reprogram a new transmitter or invest in a new transmitter.

I confess I did not go to the article at the time it popped up and haven't gotten another opportunity to find it but I was left surprised that the reason most often articulated at our field was not mentioned in the leader.... that many simply have too many receivers to replace.
It's mostly a money thing for me. And, we currently do not have issues with 72mhz where we fly.

flybentley 04-28-2009 04:36 PM

Tankertoad
Did you check the pins in the back of the transmitter where the module plugs in? I converted my 8U using the Futaba module and noticed that I had next to no range at all, without holding in the range button! Upon further inspection I noticed that the pins in the transmitter had come loose when I installed the module, cold solder joints from the factory. I resoldered the pins and have had no problems since. I converted because we had planes getting shot down left and right by wide band interference on 72.

tenacious101010 04-28-2009 04:43 PM

In my opinion, the biggest problem with 2.4 is the cost of the recievers. too much money to convert anything other than the expensive planes that we fly at events.

dirtybird 04-28-2009 05:14 PM

The cost of 2.4 receivers should come down. There is a Chinese system that charges $15 for the receivers.