RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   waterproofing esc and rx (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/9776495-waterproofing-esc-rx.html)

tacx 06-02-2010 04:21 PM

waterproofing esc and rx

Hi All,

I put floats on my e-flite Apprentice for flying off the water. There are air passage ways from the firewall to the fuselage interior and from the bottom of the fuselage to the interior for air flow to cool the electronics. Is there a way I can waterproof the esc and rx without compromising the cooling of each one? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

flyingdan 06-02-2010 05:37 PM

RE: waterproofing esc and rx

Yes

There is a product called Boeshield T-9 It is a water proofing product made by Boeing Co. You can find it a Marine shops. One of the advertising tools they use is to have a Television set immersed in a tank of this liquid while the set is running.

I have used it on all of my water birds and I fly water birds everyday in my business. If you dunk the motor etc. just blow it out with compressed air or just wait until the next day for it to dry. It will start right up with out letting out the secret smoke.

Just spray the motor, ESC and even the battery with IT, let it drip out and towel dry, good to go.

Dan

tacx 06-02-2010 08:24 PM

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I know I can waterproof the esc, but my concern is compromising the cooling. I can silicon both ends of the shink wrap, where the wires come out, which will keep out the water, but will this prevent the air flow from getting to the inside of the esc?

flyingdan 06-02-2010 08:34 PM

Hi

No it will NOT compromise the cooling at all, just leave the ends of the heat shrink open as it comes out of the box, if you are worried about splashing into and onto the ESC just make up a guard of some type, I honestly have an exposed ESC and it gets splashed all the time and keeps on working without fail,,,, Spray the Receiver too it will keep on working no problem.

Dan

Hauling-A 06-02-2010 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: tacx

Hi All,

I put floats on my e-flite Apprentice for flying off the water. There are air passage ways from the firewall to the fuselage interior and from the bottom of the fuselage to the interior for air flow to cool the electronics. Is there a way I can waterproof the esc and rx without compromising the cooling of each one? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Corrosion X also works, You can usually find it at Ace hardware. Just dunk the following in the liquid and then dry as much as you can with a paper towel. Then let them dry for a day or two. You can use it on the motor, Rx and ESC, but don't use it on the servo's or battery.

If any of the electronics get soaking wet, just let them dry out for a day.

I've flown a Foamy 3D Sniper that has all the electronics exposed to the water and never had problems.

tacx 06-03-2010 07:36 PM

Why not the servos??