Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Beginner have some questions....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Jamesbently1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner have some questions....

Hi all,

So I bought a nice Kyosho FW-05T AWD NITRO, for $100 from Craigslist. Seller said he used it "once". It had been sitting. I told him to make sure it starts before bringing it, and he borught it and couldn't start it. He was a high school kid that made his mom drive 45mins to my work. So I offered $100 instead of $125 since it didn't start.

So the issue:

when you pull the starter cord, the cord goes back in slowly. What could be wrong?

*** I know shouldn't have bought a used nitro as my first car. Just couldn't help the $100 price, can always resell it if I cant get it started.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:28 PM
flatpickhippster

Recoil spring in the pull start needs replacing. Its a PIA of job and for my time/$$ I'd just replace the whole PS ....or better yet go with the starter box.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:53 AM
dee_the_narcotic

sound like a shot spring in the recoil starter... i would just replace it, ive tried rebuilding starters and always failed. it saves the bs of having to rebuild if you just get one.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 PM
brockd03

I have bought a brand new RTR Redcat Lightning nitro car and before i ran took 2 days just checking screws reading the manual, watching tutorial vids, setting up suspension and i locked the rear diff with hot glue. (plan to drift) after checking everything and charging my glow ignitor i decide to crank it for the first time to break in the engine. it started fine with no problems. idled fine so i putt putt in a circle around my drive way stopped the car looked at it to check temp and saw oil all around my head outlet pipe to the exhaust and on my chassis. This is not normal during break in IS IT? I had a duratraxx nitro evader when i was 17 im now 28 and decided to get back into nitro cars so i have some knowledge and this doesnt seem right. I purchased through hobby tron should i box it up and try to return it? please any advice would be greatly appreciated and you will recieve free online cookies mmmmm.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since it's been sitting, the recoil starter may be a bit gummed up.
Excessive smoke, liquid, and oil may be a sign of a too rich mixture, or, perhaps rings that are gummed up.
On the other hand, the seller may have not told you the whole truth about the usage, and the engine is worn .
Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 PM
nitroloser10

In your case I will say get a new pull start. Also u want to reset everything to the factory settings as far as engine needles. if its a kyosho then find the doc that will give you setting for your motor and set it by the book.