RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Nitro Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 03:54 PM
redcat_enthusy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Starting Problem

Greetings,
So, I'm new the the nitro world of RCs. Got a New Redcat Nitro Vortex. Started going through the initial engine break in process. Let vehicle engine run idle through 2 tanks of fuel. But, during this process, I had trouble getting vehicle to stay in neutral... it kept wanting to slightly move forward. So I just put something in front of it.
Prior to starting it a third time, third tank of fuel. I adjusted the idle screw. I loosened it about an 1/8 to 1/16 turn to loosen, hoping to get it to stop moving forward. Then tried starting it, but it would not start and the starter cord was too loose. So, I turned the idle screw back to where I thought it was, then starter cord was too tight. So, I loosened it slightly and it seemed to be back to normal, but would not start. Note, I made the error of not opening the carberator's venturi (pulling throttle trigger) when loosening the idle screw, hoping I did not damage the idle screw or throttle valve.
Not sure what I should do at this point. Any help or tips would be appreciated.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:39 AM
Tluu
My Feedback: (85)

Did you check the glow plug to see if it is still good? Glow plugs can go bad during break in period.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:50 AM
redcat_enthusy

Hello, thanks for your help. Yes, I actually just pulled the glow plug out and tested it with the igniter and the plug is glowing bright orange. I tried starting it again and it would not start. I primed it and I can see fuel in the hose between the tank and the carburetor. It's also difficult to pull the cord at times. It seems as though I get 2-3 good pulls before it's very difficult to pull. I don't want to break the cord off. It's also about 10 degrees outside, but I keep the car inside and take it out to try and start it. Not sure if it can get cold quick enough to cause any issues in just a short period of time. I had no problems starting it yesterday and it was cold, prior to adjusting the idle screw. I did try adjusting the idle screw again and I think I have the famous 1mm gap that I hear about. But, I can only achieve this gap by using the throttle trim on the transmitter. Just turning the idle screw get's me no where close to a 1mm gap. I have to have the throttle trim to 2 left of 0. I also noticed, when I pull the throttle trigger, the intake valve opens, when I close it seems to go back to that 1mm opening properly. Not sure if that means anything or if that's what's supposed to happen. Not sure if it's flooded. How can you tell? I see no fuel anywhere near the glow plug, completely dry.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:09 AM
Tluu

It may be vapor locking on you. That's why it's so hard to pull the cord. You can try turning the car over to dump excess fuel out after removing the glow plug. Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:01 AM
redcat_enthusy

Thank you Tluu for the suggestion. I just went outside. Took out the glow plug and held it upside down to get out any fuel out. I only got 2-3 drops. Tried starting it and it almost started, the front wheels started spinning. Then I thought... hmm. Why did the wheels start spinning. I figure that the throttle intake opening may be too large and sure enough it was 3-4 mm open. I adjusted it to 1mm again (or as close as I could tell), put air filter back on and tried starting it. It didn't start, but the pull cord is a lot better. So, I'm wondering now if it's just too cold. It's only 14 degrees outside right now. I keep the car in the house and take it out to garage to start it... no heat in garage.

Last edited by redcat_enthusy; 12-26-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:26 AM
Tluu

No problems, try opening the carb to 2mm to see what it does.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:41 AM
redcat_enthusy

Ok, I'll try opening it up to 2mm and see what happens. I'm letting it warm up in the house currently. I'll keep you updated.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:43 PM
redcat_enthusy

Well, I primed it, tried starting it and no luck. I again, took the glow plug off, turned upside down and pulled cord a few times to flush it out. A good deal of fuel came out this time. Now, primed it again and this time it almost started. So, I opened up the throttle to about 2mm, tried it again and it started for literally a second, wheels spinning. Tried again, but the pull cord was again way too tight. Removed glow plug, flush out fuel again. Tried again, cord a little tight, but when you get it just right I was able to pull it a few times, but no luck. Would not start. Gave up, it's only 14 degrees outside and the engine was very cold at this point. I just can't understand if it's the temperature, a throttle problem or what. It's got me baffled and a bit angry. At one point I wanted to chuck this thing in the trash, but I held my cool.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:18 PM
Big Alice

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like the main needle is too rich to me. Factory settings are rich to begin with. If you have access to a heat gun it'll help a lot when it's cold out.