Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

shock spring set up..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 09:02 PM
raceme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock spring set up..

i did some searching but cant really find my answer. my stock black hpi springs seems to soft for my car and i want it to be stiffer. i dont really know about suspentions n all that but yea. i have the stock shock oil in them. which colored springs are fairly stiff and offers good handlings. i read some where that the rear shocks should be softer than the front.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:36 PM
raceme

Default RE: shock spring set up..

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=HPIC6838&P=7 maybe these will do good http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRT10&P=7 n maybe this in the back. my chassis seems to go low enough to scratch the hell out of my engine mount screws. juss the smallest bumps make it bump. some one help plz
Old 12-10-2003, 11:30 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The blue ones are about the stiffest they make (the purple are the only ones stiffer) If you drive on a bumpy surface, they'll work, but they might be too stiff, I don't know for sure. The blue ones , if you use 'em on the F. you'd prob. need to go with around 60-80 wt. shock oil. You can also play with the pistons inside the shocks. The number and size of the holes in the piston determine how quickly or slowly the shock oil passes thru, and that in conjunction w/ the heavier or lighter shock oil is how you "tune" shocks. You have 2 different "free lengths" springs listed, the blue one is the proper length to get for the RS4-3. The red one is actually softer than the black (stock)ones, and for a different shock length. I'm looking at my selection of HPI springs right now, and the next stiffer from black is green (1.6mm) so use the same series of spring as the blues. If you go w/ the blues for the front, I'd say try green for the rears, and try 70wt. oil in F. and 60wt. in rear...This is just a guess on my part, so don't get mad at me if it ain't quite exactly right but, it oughta be better...That's the "fun" part of chassis tuning, you can experiment, and play "Joe race car mechanic" at the same time
Old 12-10-2003, 11:41 PM
raceme

oh ok thanks so blue for front and green for rear. i got the wt oil n piston idea thanks man. i see that there is linear and progressive springs whats the difference. the length i see that but what else
Old 12-10-2003, 11:52 PM
raceme

so will the pink and blue pro linear springs act the same cause on tower the pink is the "hardest" and blue is "harder" and then juss do what you said about the wt. oil and all that. an also will this set up help my steering
Old 12-10-2003, 11:59 PM
proptop

Linear rate springs have the same rate as they compress, and the coils are equally spaced apart. Progressive rate springs get progressively stiffer as they compress. See the way a prog. spring is wound? The coils are closer together on one end... You prob. know about setting ride height w/ different thickness spacers? What about "droop"? Toe in/ out? Camber? There is a book, I forget who sells it, but Nitroaddict, or somebody else will know where you can get it if you want to really learn the "science" of chassis tuning...Good luck.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:12 AM
raceme

oh so which type of spring is best for my problem. or all around riding. yea i should read up on that book
Old 12-11-2003, 12:43 AM
proptop

The blue ones you posted the link to ...And the green ones, they are progressive like the stock black ones, and importantly, they are the right length and diameter...
Old 12-11-2003, 12:46 AM
raceme

ok thanks.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:23 AM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My blue springs that came with my Hot Bodies shocks aren't as stiff as the stock black ones but they may not be HPI springs.I run 30 front/40 rear so theres a nicer action on the front for steering and I think I have the #3 pistons in all of em and they have a pretty good rebound damping..which is how fast the shock comes back after being compressed.I've got my rear shocks cranked down a little more than the front to help support the engine and to help with weight transfer.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:13 AM
proptop

Hey Galaxy, the RS4-3 appears to have a more rearward balance than all my other cars. My above suggested set-up is based on my LD3, and Tornado. Are you running stiffer springs on the back instead of the front? Also, my Tornado has blue f. springs, but they're softer than the HPI blue ones.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:56 AM
raceme

what are some good threaded shocks. lol now i dont know who to copy galaxy or proptops. whos will give the best handling out of the two
Old 12-11-2003, 04:13 PM
proptop

Well...Everybody has a set-up that "feels" good to them. You'll have to do some reading and develop a set-up of your own, depending on the surface you run on, what tires you choose, how much power you have available, etc. etc. etc. When you develop a driving style that works for you, and are willing to buy some parts to experiment with, you can try and see what works and what doesn't for yourself. I think that's the way most of us did/ do it. Get the book from XXX-Main Racing and read up on theory, and chassis dynamics, and the physics of getting a vehicle quickly around a curve, and put it into action! It's fun, and feels good to make a car that handles like crap turn into something that's fun to drive, and might actually be competitive!
Old 12-11-2003, 05:34 PM
knotteboi
My Feedback: (1)

I use purple in the back, Blue in the front...
That's just what I heard to do so that's the way I did it and haven't changed it, I bought a set of Very soft, soft, medium, firm, and very firm...
I don't know what the very soft, soft, and medium ones are going to be used for :P
I got a good deal on the set, only 9 bucks brand new (ebay)
Old 12-11-2003, 06:41 PM
raceme

what brand kotteboi
Old 12-13-2003, 05:43 PM
neap38

try takeing the spring out and stretching it a little bit make sure u dont do it to much thoe or the springs will all be different sizes