Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Is Serpent 835 a Pan car? Any differences between a Pan vs Touring?

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Is Serpent 835 a Pan car? Any differences between a Pan vs Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 02:04 AM
Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Serpent 835 a Pan car? Any differences between a Pan vs Touring?

Hi. I finally got a 1/10 Serpent M2 Challenger WC-02 spec 2000 4WD special edition for US$223 with a EVO 3 .15 engine installed. It is a used item on ebay and basically everything looks good. For new nitro people, the Serpent M2 is the older version of the 835 1/10 scale. I have few questions about my car.

I bring my cars to a hobby store and the saleman said my car is a PAN car which is good few years back but until now, it is not much better than a touring car.

QA What are the differences between a touring car and a PAN car? Advantages and Disadvantages?

The guy also said due to the rear shaft rod is one piece, I need to use the expansive wide rear tires. Or else, it will get slippy. And I need a good surface to run it. There is no aftermarket tires for Serpent and a pair of rear tire will cost around US$50 dollars.

QB Due to the expansive tires, should I get a Mugen MTX-2 or MTX-3 instead? The car is discontinue and parts are impossible to get, he said.

QC Is it true?

At last, the saleman said a modern touring car is as fast as my pan car and it is a waste to spend on a Pan car. He suggests me to get the MTX-3. But I said that I am a beginner and I just want a good but cheap car to start with. I knew that I will crash my car. Note: A MTX-3 is around US$300 whether in used or new and without the engine.

QD Well, one thing I forgot to ask is: Why Serepnt is still making the 835 if pan car is a waste to spend on?
Old 12-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: Is Serpent 835 a Pan car? Any differences between a Pan vs Touring?

The serpent 835 is (1)not a pan car, it is a 235mm on road car, (2)not discontinued, and (3)much faster than a std 1/10th touring car.

The serpent 835 is in a special class. basically, its a 1/8th type car but 1/10th scale. It does utilize a front one way system, a solid rear axle, and the larger rear tires. In the USA, it also uses the std IMSA body that the 8th scale cars use, finally - while 10th scale touring cars use .12 engines w/3ports the 235mm class that the 835 is in runs .15engines with 5 or more ports and turbo plugs. It is a popular class in Europe, but relativly scarce here in the USA.

I would have to agree with him in that it isnt a good car to start with, or even run if you have some experience.

The Mugen MTX3, Trinity Reflex, Trinity G4, AE NTC3, HPI R40, or Serpent 705 are all great cars to get started in racing with, all are touring cars, and will allow less cost for repairs, and a greater race group.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:52 AM
neap38

Default RE: Is Serpent 835 a Pan car? Any differences between a Pan vs Touring?

NO PARTS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO GET!!!!

my 1st ever car was my 1st big mistake in nitro racing... i didnt know much about them at the time and ended up buying a 15 year old kyosho rs-200 which was nakerd... even thoe they stopped selling the parts 10 years ago i still manadged to wait 6 months to import some from America... ( im from england)